One of WB's biggest mistakes was not making FLASHPOINT

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Even as a DCEU fan and defender, I will admit when they've made mistakes and be critical over their decisions. In this case, one of the biggest mistakes they're currently making, along with the Snyder Cut & MOS2, is not making a very important movie: FLASHPOINT.

Now, the obvious reasons as of why they should make this movie are based on what that story had, what it was about, both of which are felt to this day in comic form, plus the CW series; but, the other reasons relate to the DCEU proper, as it would improve the present by repairing the past and setting up the future.

Examples would include, but not limited towards:

- I don't have a problem with this, but it might be an interesting change to have Pa Kent live via Clark's actions, choosing to save him despite his reasons, and doing it without people seeing him but still seeing a "savior" of sorts. The change here is that Superman has been active for years before the Black Zero incident.

- Jason Todd is still dead, but perhaps the Flash's actions causes a ripple effect that brings Jason to live again, setting him up in later films.

- Because WB doesn't want to make a Legion of Doom/Injustice League film now, FLASHPOINT would be JL 1.5. Once its over, they can go ahead with the actual JL 2 with Darkseid and finally finish that plotline.

There's more, but even with those, you get the idea. Bottom line: it is a mistake not to make FLASHPOINT.

Not really, this would have kill the DCEU, the scene of Diana killing Billy and other kids, all the heroes fighting between them, etc... if people hated Supes vs Bat imagine what would they say about this one, not even me that im a hardcore DC fan wants that movie

I rahter solo Flash

Nope.

Flashpoint would have been a horrible decision. It’s the kind of story you only do when you’ve got a well established cinematic universe, and people are familiar with your characterisations, and like them.

After the disastrous murdery Batman and mopey Superman, genocidal Wonder Woman would have gone down like a cup of cold sick, and ruined all the goodwill her first movie built up.

Flashpoint in terms of "repairing" the timeline? Yeah but overall the flashpoint story? No.
That would have been pretty bad.

Maybe if they establish the characters and all then one day we could have the flashpoint story in its full, but for now we need to get the DC movie universe stable and working before trying something out.
One of WBs biggest mistakes was to let snyder dictate a universe.

Don't agree with the notion that 'Flashpoint' narrative would 'repair', 'fix' or 're-structure' where we found ourselves by JL not working out followed BvS' proposed timeline (Snyder laid it all out and mapped it, only to be castrated effectively by his own studio and stabbed in the back).

Flash, as a character needs his origin first and foremost for me, it is one of the best origin tales ever written in comic lore and that needs telling for me first, before you introduce an audience to a story that without context and feeling, could come across as very confusing to a GA, given they've (it could be argued) only JUST won people back in that circle of audience paying public.

WB got blasted for having a 'killing Batman' to which they crow-barred their way out with what Reeves is due to present and Affleck standing down, if you then present a FP version where, heh, guess what, we have a 'Killing Batman' at this stage, it would be the death of the DCEU.

Flash is having enough problems getting itself off the ground (to which I am completely lost about, the 'tone' of the character should not be this hard to get 'right', to have multiple writers and film makers stumble over how to structure Barry and a 'gift' of an origin story) without adding or simply returning too / repeating what are perceived generally as 'mistakes' by the GA.

The GA are to a certain degree, 'on-side' currently and with Shazam looking like it will bring in a profit, and wider view films such as BoP and Joker on the way, the focus for me, IF Flash is seen as a future plan for WB/DCEU, is get his initial film / script correctly managed as a origin first, then, when all is right with the world, THEN, you can possibly throw FP into the mix.

For me WB's 'to do' list is....

1) Ensure Batman is the film it needs to be, so you can, if wanted, begin to think about JL2 AFTER your Flash property has had chance to base itself properly.
2) Get Superman sorted ! Get Cavill in or out scenario fixed ASAP, you cannot move forward with any of this without Superman.
3) Work out whether you want GL included or not, stop creating and announcing and yes, announce by all means, but have the production groundwork done, before these announcements are made without any form of substance or pre-production work completed.
4) Clearly, there is a demand for 'wider' associated characters that people wish to have expanded, USE that, get Blue Beetle made.

Last edited:
I'm pointing this out because of the current state right now: for example, no JL2 currently, and the Legion of Doom movie cancelled, so what happens to the Luthor's "league of their own" quote? Thats a left hanging plot thread. You could replace it with the Superman Revenge Squad for example, but then, what happens to Deathstroke? And how does it connect to the JL themselves?

IF the horrible news is true that Cavill is out, this could've been the answer to a new Superman actor, and of course, a new Batman actor too.

I just see this working

They are slowly building lil franchises, they already have Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam!, Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad's lil franchises to build into something big, Reeve's Batman will also come in a few years so... it's just a matter of time tbh

The thing is, you really don't need Flashpoint to tell any of those stories, or to set them up. I see this a lot from fans. You need Flashpoint to explain why Bruce Wayne will look different in the next movie. You need Flashpoint to explain some potential inconsistencies Wonder Woman 1984 has with lines in BVS. You need Flashpoint to explain this and that.

You don't. The audience is far more willing to just go with things than some give them credit for. Even the Jason Todd resurrection doesn't require Flashpoint; if you want to bring him back as Red Hood at some point, just say he was placed in the Lazarus Pit, like in the animated film.

Nope.

Flashpoint would have been a horrible decision. It’s the kind of story you only do when you’ve got a well established cinematic universe, and people are familiar with your characterisations, and like them.

After the disastrous murdery Batman and mopey Superman, genocidal Wonder Woman would have gone down like a cup of cold sick, and ruined all the goodwill her first movie built up.
As much as I would love to see a really comic-accurate Flashpoint movie, I think this sums up the situation perfectly.

Nope.

Totally agree. Flashpoint the comic only works because it has 50+ years of those characters to build on and twist - the same reason a lot of DC's Else world's stories are so great ( e.g. Red Son) they work because they take characters we are very familiar with and put an interesting spin on them.

Flashpoint without that build up...ugh:barf:

In contrast a similar concept with the MCU would totally work because they have 20 films to build on.

What DC need to do is adopt the MCU formula ( which they did with WW and Shazam, and look how that turned out) and give us a bunch of characters that really respond to, then do some fun team up films and then get a bit creative.

I was watching the old JL cartoon yesterday and thinking that if someone at WB had just forced Snyder and co to watch a bunch of episodes before making the JL film and said " Do it just like that" then the DCEU would be miles ahead of where it is now.

Unless of course the strategy was to pump out mediocre films while they were waiting for the MCU Infinity saga to end with a couple of good films to tease us very late in the piece.

Totally agree. Flashpoint the comic only works because it has 50+ years of those characters to build on and twist - the same reason a lot of DC's Else world's stories are so great ( e.g. Red Son) they work because they take characters we are very familiar with and put an interesting spin on them.

Flashpoint without that build up...ugh:barf:
Exactly. And the example with Red Son is spot on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"