Online Dating Websites...ALL SCAMS...anybody agree?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi,

I just posted in the other topic about "Internet Dating more likely to cause a girl to have sex on the first date"....and that got me thinking about......

ONLINE DATING.

I use MySpace, and MySpace works really really really well for me.

But when I graduated from college I came home to start my career and I didn't know anybody anymore because I had been gone for four years. All my friends were still in college. So to meet people, I joined a bunch of online dating websites. I joined match.com, true.com, friendorama, yahoo personals, and singlesnet.com....

Did anybody else have TOTALLY NEGATIVE experiences?

I found that 95% of the girls I messaged were ALL FAKE PROFILES, SCAMS, SPAMMERS, and RIP-OFFS. Either the girls were just sex cam girls, or girls claiming to be trapped in Africa and needing money, or they wanted your credit card numbers...they were all FAKERS.

I also tried adultfriendfinder, and fling.com...

...it was the same deal. The sites are INFESTED with profiles that are fake and just scams....so I cancelled my accounts to all of them and stuck with MySpace, since it's free and it works so much better....

Anybody have similar experiences?

Greg

I know a few people who had success with plentyoffish.com. Have you tried it? It is free too.

What? wait..... just go outside into the real world and get a girl you tart!

I know some people that have met and married using on line dating. I don't see what the problem is.

I definitely think online dating is a little weird. It's, at least from a marketing standpoint, appeal is to create a social atmosphere that is free of social pressures. However it's the ability to handle social pressures that is the mark of a good relationship in the first place.

I don't think I could do it.....but no I disagree, I have 5 friends who did it, and 4 of them have solid relationships from Harmony.com.....thats a pretty good percentage....the other is still looking, and has enjoyed most of the dates she went on, she just hasn't found someone she wants to have a long term relationship....

Greg, why don't you add a poll to this?

How do you add a poll?

Also... I am a student and I work all week. I dont particularly enjoy bars and nightclubs....so I'm a little limited on "meeting girls". I dont meet girls at school (my class is all men...its a male-dominated profession) and I dont meet girls at work....so my sister had success with online dating since her boyfriend of 2 yrs met her on MySpace, one of my friends met his girlfriend of 1yr on MySpace...so I decided to give it a shot too.

Like I mentioned in my other post in the thread about "internet dating likely to lead to sex on the first date", I've gone on dates with about 12 girls from MySpace now....

but back to the topic...

I had NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES with all other dating websites. true.com, adultfriendfinder, match.com, yahoo personals, fling.com, and so on......

Greg

I may be out of the loop but isn't myspace more geered towards a friend network? And the ones that are spam, I'm sure most people would be able to see through it, the modeling pics, the lowered expectations? :huh:

How do you add a poll?

You will find on the top right corner of the comments box something that reads "thread tools, search this thread, display modes etc ..." in one of them (I think thread tools), you will find what you are looking for. It's just below the 'logout' at the very top right of the screen.

Also... I am a student and I work all week. I dont particularly enjoy bars and nightclubs....so I'm a little limited on "meeting girls". I dont meet girls at school (my class is all men...its a male-dominated profession) and I dont meet girls at work....so my sister had success with online dating since her boyfriend of 2 yrs met her on MySpace, one of my friends met his girlfriend of 1yr on MySpace...so I decided to give it a shot too.

Like I mentioned in my other post in the thread about "internet dating likely to lead to sex on the first date", I've gone on dates with about 12 girls from MySpace now....

but back to the topic...

I had NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES with all other dating websites. true.com, adultfriendfinder, match.com, yahoo personals, fling.com, and so on......

Greg

I know some guys in the exact same shoes as you. Most found girls through online chats and match making services. The best advice I can give you is to change your lifestyle in such a way so that it allows you to interact more with others (ie: study at the library instead of your dorm/apartment, join university clubs, go to more parties etc...) I used to be in your shoes in my University undergrad days. Most my classmates were all guys. The main place I interacted with girls was the gym, as I practically used to live in the gym, when I wasn't studying. So if you don't go to the gym often, that is a major hot spot for finding chicks (and you'll be certain that they take care of themselves too! ;) ).

In sum: The best advice is what I have bolded above. Best of luck to you bud!

I know cRunt found her husband online :huh:

Every now and then I search match for girls I've went to high school with. :up:

Oh yeah, a few girls I went to high school with. :up:

I registered on one under a psuedo-name. Unfortunately, I feel this kind of behavior will only come back to bite me in the ass :(

So, I checked out eHarmony just because the party ended a tad early tonight, and I wanted to kill time. So I put in my information, used a false name (because, seriously, I wanted nothing to do with this stuff), and just took a look at things. I thought the personality profile was "okay", the one I got done at school that was suppose to match me with a career was much better and much more accurate I feel. Second thing was the "matches" or whatever. Those were awful. They gave me (3) and all of them were really bad. One was a chain smoker...which I hate. Basically, I don't know where these 29 dimensions come from...but it seems to me it doesn't replace old fashion footwork.

I also was somewhat taken aback by the sites assumption that personality traits, and or their compatability can be assertained in this manner. First of all, some of the questions were hard to answer. For example asking to rate your friendliness or your success seems to me to be a recipe for disaster. Most people would describe themselves as charming, witty, intelligent, successful, friendly, whathaveyou...need proof? Just look at how many Myspace fatties describe themselves as "athletic builds".

Thirdly, I think this site severely underestimates the notion of opposites attracting. Some of my favorite girlfriends complimented me. I don't tend to be the life of the party, so dating someone who was made me engage myself more in a nightclub setting, for example. I think this site seems to totally ignore that, which is unfortunate for them.

Basically, my faux-test of this site is a failing grade. I have less of an opinion now than I did before.

Try plentyoffish or Lavalife. No problems there.

So, I checked out eHarmony just because the party ended a tad early tonight, and I wanted to kill time. So I put in my information, used a false name (because, seriously, I wanted nothing to do with this stuff), and just took a look at things. I thought the personality profile was "okay", the one I got done at school that was suppose to match me with a career was much better and much more accurate I feel. Second thing was the "matches" or whatever. Those were awful. They gave me (3) and all of them were really bad. One was a chain smoker...which I hate. Basically, I don't know where these 29 dimensions come from...but it seems to me it doesn't replace old fashion footwork.

I also was somewhat taken aback by the sites assumption that personality traits, and or their compatability can be assertained in this manner. First of all, some of the questions were hard to answer. For example asking to rate your friendliness or your success seems to me to be a recipe for disaster. Most people would describe themselves as charming, witty, intelligent, successful, friendly, whathaveyou...need proof? Just look at how many Myspace fatties describe themselves as "athletic builds".

Thirdly, I think this site severely underestimates the notion of opposites attracting. Some of my favorite girlfriends complimented me. I don't tend to be the life of the party, so dating someone who was made me engage myself more in a nightclub setting, for example. I think this site seems to totally ignore that, which is unfortunate for them.

Basically, my faux-test of this site is a failing grade. I have less of an opinion now than I did before.

Yeah, my friends that I spoke of before use eharmony.....they said that went through a few missteps, but that once they found the one they wanted to date more, it was a homerun....honestly......its a $$$$$$ maker, and until you cough up some $$$, most would be disappointed....

Yeah, my friends that I spoke of before use eharmony.....they said that went through a few missteps, but that once they found the one they wanted to date more, it was a homerun....honestly......its a $$$$$$ maker, and until you cough up some $$$, most would be disappointed....
That's probably all true. I just felt compelled to try it. I don't like having a totally unfounded opinion about something. At least now if I go on a rant about e-dating I'll have some personal experience to base it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"