Originally David Bowie was gonna be Joker in 89's movie

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
He was one of the original contenders for the role before Jack.

I think he would have been much better than Jack Nicholson. David was good actor.

I wish he could have played an older Joker for a Dark Knight Returns adaptation.

I think he'd have been great but I don't think better than Nicholson, Nicholson was amazing as the Joker.

I could easily see Bowie topping Nicholson as the Joker. He had the acting chops, plus physically I think he was more right for Joker. I always hoped Bowie would be coaxed into a comic book movie one day. Sad that's never going to happen now.

I think he'd have been great but I don't think better than Nicholson, Nicholson was amazing as the Joker.

Bowie could have handled the Joker's sinister side quite well, but Nicholson is one of those rare talents who excels at every role. It would have been hard for anyone to project the over-the-top insanity in Batman '89 quite like Nicholson did.

Tim Curry and William Dafoe were gonna be in it too as Joker.

His physique would have been better for the role, but performance wise? There's a reason Jack wasn't a surprising choice.. he was the Joker.

Bowie would have most definitely been a better Joker.

I'm curious, for the people who think he would have done a better job. What do you think Bowie would have done to outperform Jack? Keep in mind, the writing would have been exactly the same.

He most likely would have acted more like Joker instead of Nicholson relying on his role in The Shining.

I'd also ask for the people who think Jack does a better job, how would you know if he was a better choice than Bowie?

He most likely would have acted more like Joker instead of Nicholson relying on his role in The Shining.

Why the hell did you think they cast him :funny:

I'd also ask for the people who think Jack does a better job, how would you know if he was a better choice than Bowie?

We have a performance that is almost universally praised. If you come along and claim that someone else could have done a better job, I have my doubts about that. I don't see what Bowie could have done with the character that Jack didn't already do.

I'm curious, for the people who think he would have done a better job. What do you think Bowie would have done to outperform Jack? Keep in mind, the writing would have been exactly the same.

I think Bowie would have put a more unique Joker-esque flavor on his performance. I also think he would have come up with a voice for the character to further aid the transformation.

No disrespect to Jack, but for me his performance was just another one of his eccentric/crazy Jack roles in the same vein as The Shining, The Witches of Eastwick etc. Only difference was he was wearing a Joker costume here. Basically it felt like something I'd seen him do before several times. So it didn't feel like anything new or special to me.

That sounds interesting, but I would never replace Jack's Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"