• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Overrated Actors?

Fosterson

Sidekick
Reaction score
Any actors/actresses out there you feel get way more praise/accolades than they deserve?

Personally, my number one pick would have to be Natalie Portman. For someone who's repeatedly called a "great" actress, her body of work is quite poor overall. She's only made a couple of genuinely good films, with the rest of her work being either average or outright terrible. Only four of her films have more than 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, with a good number of them being below 40%. Portman has done tons of awful art-house films (Jane Got a Gun, A Tale of Love and Darkness, Goya's Ghosts, Free Zone to name but a few). And then, of course, there're her blockbuster flops. The Prequels in which she was wooden, and the Thor franchise, which she nearly managed to single-handedly kill.

Now, I have nothing against her personally or anything, but I do feel that as an artist Ms Portman's talent is vastly overestimated.

Charleston Heston. Almost the same delivery for most his roles. I said it.

There have been a thread for this. I was bashed there for naming Denzel Washington and Al Pacino, I will be bashed here too.

easy for me Jennifer Lawrence
I just don't see it

and Matthew McConaughey

As I always say nothing wrong with the word "Overrated", I mean who doesn't want more love? Also you have to be rated in the first place to be "Overrated".

Also there's already a thread on this dude.

Clive Owen
Jonah Hill
Casey Affleck

Charleston Heston. Almost the same delivery for most his roles. I said it.

SoylentGreen_156Pyxurz.jpg

You speak...of...blasphemy !

Leonardo DiCaprio and maybe Matt Damon.

There are a lot of good actors out there who simply pick to be in ****** movies. Some are smarter about the roles they pick though.

Jennifer Lawrence immediately comes to mind.

Tom Cruise. It is nice that he does his own stunts and all, but for the most part I just don't see it. He always seems like he's acting instead of being a character. Like it is very superficial and phony.

It's cause he... WAS hot.

Meryl Streep

Jennifer Lawrence

James McAvoy

Agreed on Jennifer Lawrence - she needs the right material or else simply comes across as dull, whereas other actors/actresses can work with whatever they are given.

There have been a thread for this. I was bashed there for naming Denzel Washington and Al Pacino, I will be bashed here too.

No bashing from me, film is subjective after all. I'm just curious why you think both in particular are overrated?

Last edited:
Tom Cruise. It is nice that he does his own stunts and all, but for the most part I just don't see it. He always seems like he's acting instead of being a character. Like it is very superficial and phony.

Completely agree. He’s just always Tom Cruise.

I think Tom has always been considered a great movie star rather than a great (or even particularly good) actor.

I also think OP is right about Natalie Portman.

No bashing from me, film is subjective after all. I'm just curious why you think both in particular are overrated?

Because I don't think they are that good of actors. The only role I have ever liked Denzel was Glory. And I don't have one for Pacino. He is particularly awful in Scent of a Woman. And they gave him an Oscar for...that.

I consider Scent of a Woman to be the point where Pacino lost his way. He was truly great for a long time, but that film, and his role in it, was annoying and overrated and the beginning of Pacino becoming something of a caricature of himself.

However, he can still give the occational good performance and back when he was great, he was great.

Well, Portman's overacting in Jackie was some of the most painful I've seen, and she got nominations for that.

And of course, Cate Blanchett. Is she great, or is she just tall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"