Parents, Bars at odds in New York

BlackLantern

Eternal
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/02/brooklyn.babies.in.bars/index.html?hpt=C2

It is a question in Brooklyn, New York, that's fired up online arguments, prompted unofficial protests and made outsiders giggle. And while the issue may not be exclusive to that area, it's the stuff disputes are made of in what Sasha's dad, Matt Gross, calls the kid-heavy "greater stroller zone" of Park Slope and its surrounding neighborhoods.
Single hipsters and others without (and sometimes with) kids complain about being asked to watch their language, to not smoke outdoors near strollers and to keep their drunk friends under control so as not to scare the little ones. They don't want to feel pressure to play peekaboo. They want to cry over their beers, they say, without having an infant drown them out. If anyone is spitting up, they want it to be them.
"I will get up on the subway for kids. I will be tolerant of them kicking the back of my seat while seeing a G-rated movie. But let me have my bars," said Julieanne Smolinski, 26, who feels guilty sucking down suds in front of staring 5-year-olds. The adults who bring their offspring to bars, she suggests, are "clinging to their youth."
Parents, on the other hand, say that as long as they're responsible and their kids behave, they deserve the right to grab a quick drink with friends. And, they might add, in a place like New York -- where the cost of baby sitters can be prohibitive and tight living quarters can make hosting guests at home difficult -- they need places to hang out, too.

This reminds me of the film Idiocracy. . . I'm starting to believe civilization is heading that way. . . .

Stupid ass parents. There are just some places you do NOT bring kids into. I can understand bringing your child to a PG-13 or R rated film(depending on their age of course)as long as the parents are with them but bars should be for people 21 and older. That means kids, regardless if they're with their parents are not under any circumstances should not be allowed inside.

When you make the choice or mistake(if children weren't planned or expected)to have kids, you do in fact have to give up part of your life, primarily the wilder side. That doesn't mean parents can't get a friend or relative to watch their kids so they can have a night on the town, just don't bring your kids into a place for adults.

It's bad enough when parents bring their screaming, crying brats or infants into a god damn movie theatre. Can't find a babysitter or it's too expensive so you can't catch that film unless you bring them with? Too bad, people pay to see a movie not deal with your spawn.

this reminds me of a clip from family guy...

[YT]fFqVRKH6qss[/YT]

Park Slope, of course. Don't get me started with that area, I've got friends and family I have the displeasure of visiting over there from time to time. They want to be totally city, seedy, like the rest of the city, but still want it like a fairy tale for their kids.

Hey parents. Don't like the language that some adults use in places where adults hang out because your kid might hear "naughty language"?

Then don't bring your f***ing kid when you want a pint.

I was under the impression, when one becomes a parent, it ceases to be "all about you", yes that even means going out

Stupid ass parents. There are just some places you do NOT bring kids into. I can understand bringing your child to a PG-13 or R rated film(depending on their age of course)as long as the parents are with them but bars should be for people 21 and older. That means kids, regardless if they're with their parents are not under any circumstances should not be allowed inside.

When you make the choice or mistake(if children weren't planned or expected)to have kids, you do in fact have to give up part of your life, primarily the wilder side. That doesn't mean parents can't get a friend or relative to watch their kids so they can have a night on the town, just don't bring your kids into a place for adults.

It's bad enough when parents bring their screaming, crying brats or infants into a god damn movie theatre. Can't find a babysitter or it's too expensive so you can't catch that film unless you bring them with? Too bad, people pay to see a movie not deal with your spawn.

Oh and I've heard parents say to their kids: "Don't worry, cover your eyes. It will be over soon." That reply makes me wanna kick the parent's butt out of the theater.

As a parent, I will say it's a bit irresponsible to bring your kid to a bar. secondly it's even more ******ed to complain about things like foul language and cigaretter smoke. If it's TGI Friday's, then maybe I see their point, but not the corner Ale House.

I would also like to add however that the hipsters in Park Slope are typically insuffereable *****e bags. And to have a 26 year old woman try to say that someone else is "clinging to their youth" is a bit ironic.

is it maybe a culture shift?? Parents today still think that they can do all the things they did prior to having kids??

Oh and I've heard parents say to their kids: "Don't worry, cover your eyes. It will be over soon." That reply makes me wanna kick the parent's butt out of the theater.

Hahaha. That's ridiculous. They should get a swift kick in the butt.

As a parent, I will say it's a bit irresponsible to bring your kid to a bar. secondly it's even more ******ed to complain about things like foul language and cigaretter smoke. If it's TGI Friday's, then maybe I see their point, but not the corner Ale House.

I would also like to add however that the hipsters in Park Slope are typically insuffereable *****e bags. And to have a 26 year old woman try to say that someone else is "clinging to their youth" is a bit ironic.

How so? If they don't have kids themselves, they're still in their 20's, that's prime drinking age before you should settle down a bit.

Culture shift? No. A sign that their brains never switched on? Probably

the one guy talking about "craving adult contact" and all that....its not anyone else problem you can't find or afford a sitter

the one guy talking about "craving adult contact" and all that....its not anyone else problem you can't find or afford a sitter

Not to mention that "craving adult contact" is so full of it. I'm in my late twenties and a number of my friends(same age range)have been getting married and popping out some puppies. You know what they do? They get together over each other's houses to get that "adult contact" and at the same time, their kids get to grow up and play together. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Kids shouldn't be allowed in bars period. I've seen it happen all too often though and it always annoys me. Here's two other places parents shouldn't bring their kids Las Vegas and New Orleans. Went to New Orleans over the weekend and couldn't believe how many of the tourists had their kids with them.

Of course as a parent you have the luxury and ability to take your kids anywhere you see fit. Bars, restaurants, prisons, bookstores and any place else.

But if you take your kid to a bar don't complain about the bar patrons. Instead of making laws and complaining speak with your wallet and refuse to go to establishments that you don't care for.

Of course as a parent you have the luxury and ability to take your kids anywhere you see fit. Bars, restaurants, prisons, bookstores and any place else.

But if you take your kid to a bar don't complain about the bar patrons. Instead of making laws and complaining speak with your wallet and refuse to go to establishments that you don't care for.

Exactly. Don't take your kid to a strip club and then tell the women to put some clothes on since there's a kid present.

I bet if a bar opened up in the area and one of them had a rule saying nobody under 21 allowed they'd get a lot of business.:)

I thought most bars had 'no one under 21' posted...certainly is the case here in CT

I wish there were areas designated just for adults. Not just bars, but entire cities and towns.

You only spend 15% of your life as a child yet 90% of society is child safe.

I thought most bars had 'no one under 21' posted...certainly is the case here in CT

Here that's usually the case but there are a lot of places that have bars included in them that still qualify as restaurants. Applebee's style places. Though in WV they don't allow smoking (fascists) the typical bar atmosphere is present.

I know that I took my very young daughter to meet a friend in an establishment like that. People were carrying on and making a ruckus so we left. We found another place that was more child friendly. We would rather have stayed but it seems that I have to take care of a toddler so we got the hell over it.

Park Slope, of course. Don't get me started with that area, I've got friends and family I have the displeasure of visiting over there from time to time. They want to be totally city, seedy, like the rest of the city, but still want it like a fairy tale for their kids.

Park Slope is one of the origin points for the hipsterization of Brooklyn. It sucks.

Here that's usually the case but there are a lot of places that have bars included in them that still qualify as restaurants. Applebee's style places. Though in WV they don't allow smoking (fascists) the typical bar atmosphere is present.

I know that I took my very young daughter to meet a friend in an establishment like that. People were carrying on and making a ruckus so we left. We found another place that was more child friendly. We would rather have stayed but it seems that I have to take care of a toddler so we got the hell over it.

most bars up here don't allow smoking anymore, way of the world I guess...not a smoker so I don't care

some places are child friendly, some aren't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"