Parents, Bars at odds in New York

I believe that if you are in an adult environment than you should be aloud to act like an adult.

Park Slope is one of the origin points for the hipsterization of Brooklyn. It sucks.

This is why I still live in Queens. I've got 2 sisters, nieces and a nephew over in Park Slope though so I've gotta be over there at least once a week.

I hate when parents bring their family into the bar section of a restuarant in order to avoid the wait time, then complain that about the language. If it really bother's you that much, wait to be seated like everybody else.

Yeah, 'cause there're no crazy people out in the boonies. :rolleyes: At least in NYC, when one of those crazy people snaps, there's always a witness.

I almost feel bad for smokers. All the bars I've been to in Manhattan don't allow smoking inside, so outside is the only place. If they can't smoke outside...and not inside...then I don't know what the solution is for someone who needs a fix can do.

Bringing your infant child to a bar sounds like ****** parenting, atleast at face value. I guess the time might matter, cause at night it would seem impossible to turn any volume down for kids.

I almost feel bad for smokers. All the bars I've been to in Manhattan don't allow smoking inside, so outside is the only place. If they can't smoke outside...and not inside...then I don't know what the solution is for someone who needs a fix can do.

Bringing your infant child to a bar sounds like ****** parenting, atleast at face value. I guess the time might matter, cause at night it would seem impossible to turn any volume down for kids.

I do feel bad for smokers. I think it's idiocy that the government should be able to ban smoking inside of someone else's property and furthermore that the thing which they are banning is perfectly legal anyway.

I used to smoke and I felt that way before I still feel that way. That kind of friendly to "Everyone" ban that forces small groups of people out against the owner's choice is the kind of fascism America should be afraid of.

I know that'll get a laugh but I'm serious. In my hometown the "upper" part of town is in support of a bill that would prevent people from wearing black, red, or yellow clothing at night. They say it's to help prevent gang related violence but all it'll do is make me harass people at night for wearing a goddamn Spongebob Shirt.

/rant.

most of the bars here in CT went ahead and banned smoking ahead of the new law/ordinance

The smoking thing is what keeps kids out of bars in Atlanta, thank god. Since bars allow inside smoking, they are considered "over 18 establishments" and usually have a sign posted that says as much.

BlackLantern said:
I was under the impression, when one becomes a parent, it ceases to be "all about you", yes that even means going out.

That pretty much sums it up. Its just selfishness. Self-absorbed Baby Boomers had kids and now those self-absorbed kids are having their own kids.

I'm okay with no smoking inside.

Getting cancer from second hand smoking just sucks every way. It's like catching an STD without having sex.

It just seems like there's no option, though. If it's not inside, and not outside...then what the ****?

Yeah, 'cause there're no crazy people out in the boonies. :rolleyes: At least in NYC, when one of those crazy people snaps, there's always a witness.
yeah their are crazies out here in the boonies but people just shoot them and be done with it hahaha

I don't know of any place that bans smoking here in michigan.

and people in small towns have the common sense to not bring kids to the bar

I do feel bad for smokers. I think it's idiocy that the government should be able to ban smoking inside of someone else's property and furthermore that the thing which they are banning is perfectly legal anyway.
You would.

I'm okay with no smoking inside.

Getting cancer from second hand smoking just sucks every way. It's like catching an STD without having sex.

It just seems like there's no option, though. If it's not inside, and not outside...then what the ****?

Hang out with smoker's less. I'm sure they don't like you being whiney about it either.

Seriously... If you go to someplace that allows smoking and you don't like smoking then why not just go to someplace that doesn't allow smoking?

Hang out with smoker's less. I'm sure they don't like you being whiney about it either.

Seriously... If you go to someplace that allows smoking and you don't like smoking then why not just go to someplace that doesn't allow smoking?
It isn't like they are asking people not to smoke at all. They are just asking them to be considerate and to not contaminate the lungs of non-smokers. Smoking is their decision and it should be just that. Stop being melodramatic about it. It's just a mild inconvenience at worst.

Have you ever been to New York???

And I'm not whiney with anybody, when it's someone I don't even ****ing know next to me. The smokers I've hanged out with always ask, and I'm cool with it. But, if I'm at a place, and I'm there first...and someone starts somking...I have to nut up and just take it?? Or ***** out and just leave?

I think it helps avoid fights too. If I tell a dude something, next thing I know I have to beat with my chair.

At my bud's bar in Brooklyn we can't have smoking inside because of the law. But he's old school, he literally closes the bar at like 3:00 in the morning so us his friends and such can pretty much do what we want. At that point it's not a public bar, it's his place and it's closed and he's got his buds over. It's always funny seeing people knocking on the glass to get in while we are in there partying.

I used to smoke and I felt that way before I still feel that way. That kind of friendly to "Everyone" ban that forces small groups of people out against the owner's choice is the kind of fascism America should be afraid of.

I know that'll get a laugh but I'm serious. In my hometown the "upper" part of town is in support of a bill that would prevent people from wearing black, red, or yellow clothing at night. They say it's to help prevent gang related violence but all it'll do is make me harass people at night for wearing a goddamn Spongebob Shirt.

/rant.

:up:

I quit smoking two months ago but will continue to be against any laws that cross the line by taking away people's enjoyment and above all, freedom to smoke.

Personally, I'm sick of those lying commercials that show full on smoke, as if there is a fire in the house, going through the vents and into other people's apartments(this got the biggest chuckle out of me). Doesn't work that way. Second hand smoke can't be proved entirely since so many people are dropping dead like flys from cancer anyways. Short of smokers literally blowing smoke directly into someone's face, I think it's all bull **** to take away someone's enjoyment because others disapprove. The fact that they are trying to make it illegal to smoke in your own home or anywhere on your property really crosses the line and is flat out wrong.

As for the kids in bars problem. It would be fair if the owners of the bars could deny anyone from bringing any infants or underage children in there. It's just too bad that in this day and age the small % of parents that are doing this would ***** and cry and get their way and the owner's would have to allow it.

I don't know if it's just me but is anyone else sick of these really small groups of protesters and cry babies overriding the majority vote/opinions magically?

Second hand smoke can't be proved entirely since so many people are dropping dead like flys from cancer anyways.
:facepalm:

Thank Christ you're not involved with any sort of clinical or scientific research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"