Part of screen has blanked out

Savage

Earth Rocker
Reaction score
Alright, well, I travel all over the place with my laptop (HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook PC) and have never encountered a problem with it before. Today I got home, turned it on, and encountered this on the right side of my screen.

420092_925041946908_301792060_n.jpg

I'm not even sure about the cause, far less for the solution. A friend said I could've passed a magnet or something. If this is going to have a less costly solution I'd like to know before I dump the thing out.

Based on what you said about traveling a lot, it seems to me that it's the screen and not the video card. You should make 100% sure of that though before moving forward.

The best way to determine that is to hook the laptop up to a monitor and see if you get a good image. If it's just the screen, there are laptop shops that specialize in replacing LCD screens.

It looks fine on a desktop monitor so I guess I'm getting this screen replaced. I hope that it's fairly cheap.

It looks fine on a desktop monitor so I guess I'm getting this screen replaced. I hope that it's fairly cheap.

You could probably find the display for your computer on NewEgg.com or Amazon and you could replace it yourself. Find a YouTube video with step by step instructions on how to do it and save yourself some money.

Based on what you said about traveling a lot, it seems to me that it's the screen and not the video card. You should make 100% sure of that though before moving forward.

The best way to determine that is to hook the laptop up to a monitor and see if you get a good image. If it's just the screen, there are laptop shops that specialize in replacing LCD screens.

Replacing a laptop LCD might cost an arm and a leg, or maybe the same as a new laptop.

One way to test for screen issue is to capture a screenshot of the screen: if it's the video card, the blacked out areas will be in the screenshot; otherwise, the captured image will be fine (you can see it in any paint/image manipulation software by zooming out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"