Peter Molyneux on Fable 2's 'big, big' secret...

Reaction score
He might talk to much, but I still love the guy.
You can tell he loves games and he's excited about what they're doing.
Personally, I can't wait to play Fable 2, and in his honor, I shall finally start Fable: The Lost Chapters tomorrow :up:
Oh and Peter? B.C. :mad:

Could BC be that other project he talks about? :confused:

------------

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66130

As journalists we love Peter Molyneux, because when most people say they can't talk about their secret game projects, like the stone-hearted spoilsports they are, they generally mean it. But when Molyneux warns us he's taken a vow of omerta, what he actually means is he's going rattle away for ages and say as much as he possibly can without quite hoisting himself by any specific petard.

Indeed, as he admitted to Eurogamer TV in an exclusive interview at last week's Develop Conference in Brighton: "I have realised I've got the PR equivalent of Tourette's. I can't help myself. It's the inability to downplay stuff - I have to get excited!"

On this occasion, the Lionhead boss was getting hot and bothered about 360 sequel Fable 2, and "the other one", the secret title in development at his now Microsoft-owned studio, dubbed 'Project Dmitri'.

On Fable 2: "I don't believe in going out and saying: 'we're going to create quite a good game.' I believe that what we're doing, with Fable 2, is thinking, right we've got to address all those things we did slightly wrong on Fable 1; we've got to make a bigger, better story, it's got to be an amazing world," Molyneux explained. "One of the main things is we've got to make this game jaw-droppingly beautiful. Sometimes darkly beautiful; beauty doesn't only mean green fields, but just stunningly beautiful. I came away from E3 just sick of seeing gunmetal shiny things and sewers."
Molyneux revealed that the Fable 2 design document is "almost up to 1,000 pages now," and while we actually know precious little about the RPG sequel, other than it's set 500 years after the events of Fable, we're promised there's a startling revelation to come.

"There has to be one big, big thing about Fable 2 that is going to shock and surprise people and that's what we've got, that's the exciting thing," he teased. "And we're not ready to show it yet. I think it's going to be next year if I'm honest with you. It's a very, very big thing and if I told you about it, it's one word, and if I told you about it then you'd say: 'what are you talking about? It's another one of those Peter Molyneux moments.'"
Click here to watch.

Just tell us, dammit! "I need to show it to you and to prove it to you," he added. "But I think it's exactly what Lionhead stands for - it's uniqueness, it's originality and it's taking something and doing something with it that no-one's done before. And that's really what the core of what the whole of Fable is. Fable 2 should be everything you expect, then 10 times more that you don't expect - and that doesn't just apply to this one feature... I almost said it then! - that applies to the whole game."

You can watch Molyneux talk about Fable 2 and his other new project in his own words over on Eurogamer TV.

If that wasn't already teasing us to the point of torture, Molyneux had a few choice words on Lionhead's other major unannounced project. "The other project is... I kinda like playing around with other genres. And I like finding a way of not being pigeon-holed in one genre and this other game is exactly that," he continued.

"It's the thing I love most... I can't tell you the line, but it's a line... It's 'Project whatever it's called'... I so want to tell you what the line is! But I'd hope you just hearing the line you'd think, ah that would be interesting.

"I would be killed to death if I said anything at all, but I think it's certainly something that if I said the line then we could have a long discussion about it without you actually seeing the game. Which for me always makes the best root of ideas, having that clear, concise idea around something."
We love him, but he also frustrates the hell out of us. So, Fable 2 is all about "a word"; and Project Thingy is all about "a line". Answers on a postcard...

The full, exclusive interview with Peter Molyneux where, aside from new projects, he discusses in detail the Microsoft acquisition, the challenges facing the development community and why he wants you to make you care, will be broadcast later this week on Eurogamer TV.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66130

But will it match the CGI trailer of it shown earlier this year?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Zenien said:
But will it match the CGI trailer of it shown earlier this year?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

For a moment I thought you were talking about every PS3 title so far ;)

But anyways, I loved Fable. I wasn't into RPGs before, equating them with the crappy ass Jap-centric emo starring titles like Final Fantasy, thus all being branded with the wand of ****eness. But fable changed all that.

I absoloutly loved it. It was basically a superhero tale that was yours and yours alone to unfold. It was beautiful and charming, and opened me up to the world of RPGs (I am currently playing the wonderful Jade Empire, which probably wouldn't have happened without fable, and am anticipating the excellent looking Mass effect).

I cannot wait for this sequel. It looks much darker and looks to evolve the series in new directions.

Maybe Fable 2 big secret is that it won't be a huge bag of boring suckage.

Or maybe it's mmorpg. That'd be somthing.

lars573 said:
Maybe Fable 2 big secret is that it won't be a huge bag of boring suckage.

Since the first one didn't, I don't see that happening.

Ah but it did. It has the same lack of interest that Jade empire does. And Baldur gate, and Neverwinter knights.

lars573 said:
Ah but it did. It has the same lack of interest that Jade empire does. And Baldur gate, and Neverwinter knights.

Fable and Jade didn't fail you....you failed fable and jade :o :down

But you are canadian, what do you know? :p

Horrorfan said:
Fable and Jade didn't fail you....you failed fable and jade :o :down
No they failed me.

Horrorfan said:
But you are canadian, what do you know? :p
For one, how to use the english language better than an Englishman.
For two, that being a console or PC only gamer means your an idiot.
For three, that DC invented Superheroes and anything Marvel does is ripping off DC.
For four, that a man and another man can get married and it's not the end of society.
For five, we and the Auzzie's and Kiwi's prevented you from getting owned by the Germans and Turks in WW1.
For six, Fable was boring, but not as bad as Black and white.
For seven, We won't pay some white trash dip-s**t couple 40K a year to not work and pop out babies.
For eight, The two best Superhero movie made to date are Batman Begins and Superman Returns.
For nine, anyone who buys a Mac for a computer needs to be whupped with a blackjack
For ten, your a *****e.
For eleven, the only reason Britainia ruled the world was because you had Scots to bust heads and the Irish to build s**t
For twelve, Gammy will cry after comic-con.

Gammy v.2 said:
I won't cry after Comic-Con though.
Daredevil will be in the game.

Daredevil > Elekta

If Elektra is in, and DD isn't.. Well... That would be ******ed. :o

Gammy v.2 said:
I won't cry after Comic-Con though.
Daredevil will be in the game.
I didn't say whether you'd be crying tears of joy/relief or emo tears. Just that you'd be crying. ;)

lars573 said:
I didn't say whether you'd be crying tears of joy/relief or emo tears. Just that you'd be crying. ;)

Hly crap, that IS true :( :up:
They will be tears of joy!
Forgive my disagreement, I edited my post :up:

I fully support DD in MUA. Provided he's not just Spidey re-skined. (which is the single greates fear I have with having DD in the game)

Likewise I support Fable 2. Provided it's not as uninteresting as the first.

fable failed on many fronts. Too short, zoned areas wtf was with that? That was the biggest disappointment of all. It was a so so game with nice ideas. The only thing that will really excel fable 2 wold be to make it like oblivion. A giant world (not zoned, that was ****ing bull****) open ended in everyway and this time give us a damn animal to travel the world in please.

lars573 said:
For ten, your a *****e.

These two coupled together negate anything you have to say.

:)

I know grammer. But spelling, which is universally judged as seperate, I'm not so good with.

Indiglo said:
These two coupled together negate anything you have to say.

:)

You missed the you're/your mistake in the second line too, which was a lot sooner. :o

don't worry Gammy. DD will be in Fable 2. that's the "big, big secret". ;)

lars573 said:
No they failed me.

For two, that being a console or PC only gamer means your an idiot.
For three, that DC invented Superheroes and anything Marvel does is ripping off DC.
For four, that a man and another man can get married and it's not the end of society.
For five, we and the Auzzie's and Kiwi's prevented you from getting owned by the Germans and Turks in WW1.
For six, Fable was boring, but not as bad as Black and white.
For seven, We won't pay some white trash dip-s**t couple 40K a year to not work and pop out babies.
For eight, The two best Superhero movie made to date are Batman Begins and Superman Returns.
For nine, anyone who buys a Mac for a computer needs to be whupped with a blackjack
For ten, your a *****e.
For eleven, the only reason Britainia ruled the world was because you had Scots to bust heads and the Irish to build s**t
For twelve, Gammy will cry after comic-con.

For one, you teach me grammar and I'll teach you how to spell.
For two, it just means I don't want to spend a fortune updating my PC. its ******ed.
For three, for someone that ripped off DC, Marvel sure do it a hell of a lot better
for four, who cares either way?
for five, canadians were in the war but no one noticed. the only men you lost were the people running away from the fighting and getting confused about how to get back to canada.
for six, your wrong
for seven, you guys havent had a back bone in years and your country is lower on the totem poll than trinidad and tobago, when it comes to world relevence
for 8, x3 pwned both at the box office, which was justice done
for 9, i dont have a mac
for 10 you're a tard
for 11, well we happened to use them pretty well. at least they had uses, unlike canada which is afrozen wasteland, a pimple on america's ass

finally, canada is like an expansion pack to the us....promises so much, but gives so little, and basically feels like a crappier version of a place you've been before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"