Phase 4 seems to be all about selling Disney Plus...

Going back to the shows on Disney+ being promoted so heavily, I think that Disney still won't really want to drop the amount of money necessary to make it feel like a movie if they're going to be developing so much at once. That being said, technology is always improving and a lot more can be done on a TV show special effects wise (even Agents of Shield) than could be done 10 years ago.

Narratively speaking, will these shows really curb into seeming like a diluted spread out movie or instead a longer self-contained story with a lot of detail one would have trouble fitting in 2 movies?
The storytelling structure could change and I like the fact they're miniseries so they can go all out a bit more but I don't see these as looking like actual films until I see otherwise no matter how hard they hype this I know a lot of money is being put into a lot of Marvel movies still.

Some narrative breathing room centered around movies that are released (say X-Men for instance or any number of others) I think would be a good alternative strategy if these shows kind of fall short of feeling like actual films that have room for narrative exposition.

Last edited:
The hudgets allotted for each of the Disney+ shows is reportedly $100 million per season. With only 6 - 8 episodes, that should be more than enough money to give them a cinematic feel.

The Mandalorian has a rumored first season budget of $120 million, or $15 million per episode. The Marvel Studios shows might not be as pricey but they aren't cutting corners. Disney knows that it needs quality shows to keep the audience interested.

The Mandalorian budget has been revealed — and it’s big

We'll see. I hope it feels like a movie with narrative room to breathe and explore around.

If the budgets are strictly divided a set amount per episode that may make things tighter than need be but everything being done in-house for their own streaming service and a set endpoint in mind with it being a miniseries I think provides a lot going for each series.

As long as the movies keep at the Billion range certainly the sky's the limit to a point.

Last edited:
After reading some of the recent interview with the Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, he was asked about what he thought of Marvel films and overall pretty positive.

He did mention not as much a fan of films with newer characters popping up amidst a bigger overall narrative making said movies feel like a filler episode. I kind of see what he means by that after thinking about it a bit. Films like Ant-Man and Wasp being released right after Infinity War may stand on their own to a degree in past tense while watching on Blu-Ray but watching it newly released I suppose could be seen as a bit of a distraction from the central narrative especially when said movie contains a post-credits teaser for Endgame as 1 example.

Of course origin film fallbacks amidst an overall central narrative is another thing that can be troublesome going by this logic as well. Maybe in the future, post-credit teasers can be utilized to promo Disney+ series that tie DIRECTLY to the storyline that one has just witnessed on screen as another idea to make story that you've just witnessed seem more meaningful.

Continued innovation=more money rolling in from both maintaining current fans through the years while still being accessible to the newer ones as well.

We'll see. I hope it feels like a movie with narrative room to breathe and explore around.

If the budgets are strictly divided a set amount per episode that may make things tighter than need be but everything being done in-house for their own streaming service and a set endpoint in mind with it being a miniseries I think provides a lot going for each series.

As long as the movies keep at the Billion range certainly the sky's the limit to a point.
The movies wont keep thr billion range. Its insanely difficult to do and its not the norm. I dont know who on his right mind expects the MCU to have a billion average going forward. Its wont happen and it doesnt have to.

The movies wont keep thr billion range. Its insanely difficult to do and its not the norm. I dont know who on his right mind expects the MCU to have a billion average going forward. Its wont happen and it doesnt have to.

That's why I think it's going to be tough to really invest a crap ton of money into the Disney+ shows like they say they are going to.

That being said, worldwide box office has taken over. Disney is a marketing machine with wingspan to spare. The infrastructure is in place at this point but even with that success, with the massive lineup forthcoming 1 bomb they can maybe get hit with but there are dominoes after that... (other movies or properties already in active production can't just pull back on in response to 1 bombing)

They've played their bets wisely, taken few risks outside the 4 quadrant area, and found a formula that works and it's paid off so far.

Given that the upcoming movies and shows are almost entirely disconnected from each other, they would seem to have *more* "bomb resistance" now, not less. If Wandavision or Thor 4 fizzles out, there are no announced movies or Disney+ shows that are directly dependent on that.

That's why I think it's going to be tough to really invest a crap ton of money into the Disney+ shows like they say they are going to.

That being said, worldwide box office has taken over. Disney is a marketing machine with wingspan to spare. The infrastructure is in place at this point but even with that success, with the massive lineup forthcoming 1 bomb they can maybe get hit with but there are dominoes after that... (other movies or properties already in active production can't just pull back on in response to 1 bombing)

They've played their bets wisely, taken few risks outside the 4 quadrant area, and found a formula that works and it's paid off so far.
No, it wont be. A billion is the exception for a cbm, mcu or not. The mcu doesnt need to hit that mark for its movies to be successful. Only 2 movies in Phase hit that and it was a very successful phase spawning seauels for every single of its movies.

Mcu budgets for solos rarely go above 180 million so the billion mark isnt isn end all and it doesnt influence the disney + whether they hit it or not.

The line between side kick and side character I think gets blurred sometimes as screenwriters have to figure out how to work everything into a given run length for the film whereas in comics things just maybe wouldn't play out that way given more room and episodic nature not defined by seasons.

As for the budgets hitting a billion, what I think I made clear in my follow-up post was that the billion mark is what gives them breathing room with the massive lineup they've got lined up after said movie. To invest a crapton into a Disney+ show when, even with being miniseries where can plan out, its a tough task to pull off so many series with such massive budgets when trying save for all the many movies they've perhaps got lined up in production at any given time.

A massive flop would be earning less than 50 mill. on a worlwide release with huge marketing push and 200 million budget (lets face it some of these films do go pretty high). Disney has made so much they could absorb it right now. That's why they're investing so much into their TV shows on Disney+ that networks or other streaming services supposedly can't right now. With that being said though, 1 massive flop and so many movies lined up afterwards they'll start pacing themselves with these TV shows first is a high probability I think.

These budgets aren’t really a lot when you’re thinking what they are going after, and something they don’t have right now. The global streaming market. A win there and you add on a big chunk of Netflix’s market value to your company. A few billion here and there is absolutely worth the risk. Companies that were slow to react to technological developments and consumer tastes in this sector have been heavily punished and this is the time to go for it.

Guardians 3 was also supposed to kick start MCU cosmic maybe thats been relegated to Eternals? Who knows or they delayed the cosmic side and maybe will start it with FF.
Cap Marvel and Thor are all part of it. I doubt Guardians 3 is all that far away, but yeah Eternals, G3 and F4 can all contribute to building it up. Maybe Silver Surfer too.

To be perfectly honest, nothing I've seen announced for Disney+ has me all that excited or make me want to buy the platform.

If there was a Thunderbolts or Moon Knight maybe, but nothing of the sort yet.

There's enough on it to buy it especially with the packaged deal with Hulu's base plan. That added to basic cable is more than enough as far as subscription based month/month services go.

Netflix's SVOD service when it first came out I remember as more subsidiary to direct mail order movie rental. The SVOD service from a filtering standpoint was better and more simpler then. Disney+/Hulu I think should be multipronged as both an easy to navigate SVOD service as well as offering direct purchase/rental service as well.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, nothing I've seen announced for Disney+ has me all that excited or make me want to buy the platform.

If there was a Thunderbolts or Moon Knight maybe, but nothing of the sort yet.
I would watch all of them (except for What If and those Marvel documentaries) as soon as they are released.

However, I would be more intrigued if they were given a film treatment that would be released in theaters (and physical media). Like there must be a reason why Black Widow is getting a solo film after all these years and not The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki and Hawkeye.

I would watch all of them (except for What If and those Marvel documentaries) as soon as they are released.

However, I would be more intrigued if they were given a film treatment that would be released in theaters (and physical media). Like there must be a reason why Black Widow is getting a solo film after all these years and not The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki and Hawkeye.

Occam's Razor suggests they don't think those characters or those actors are big enough to support their own solo films.

Personally, I love Loki as a character and I love Hiddleston's performance, but a Loki solo movie makes no sense to me. Nor does a solo Hawkeye movie, especially not movie Hawkeye, who is a rather boring character and lacks all the interesting qualities of the comic version.

Scarlett Johansson has proven she can open a blockbuster movie at least once on her own. Plus, now, there's more of a demand for female-led superhero movies due to the lack of them before.

Last edited:
I don't need a Loki movie either, though I wish we are getting 3 films next year instead of a Disney+ show

I don't need a Loki movie either, though I wish we are getting 3 films next year instead of a Disney+ show

The disney shows don't replace anything. We are only getting 2 films next year due to the situation with gotg 3.

I get the feeling that once these shows hit there will be many claiming they wish there were more shows instead of films. We're basically going to get (near) movie production levels over 6 hours.

I'll believe the movie production levels over 6 hours, when I see the actual show. i don't want to be pessimistic but I've been exposed way too much to characters like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger wearing street clothes and the Inhumans, Elektra, Punisher wearing cheap looking costumes, so its hard to believe these shows would suddenly look like movie productions.

As for clamoring for more shows, I've been burned out by the live action shows produced by Marvel television since Aos premiered. So I doubt that would happen to me.

Marvel TV isn't producing these. Unless you mean series in general, which is a different matter.

I'll believe the movie production levels over 6 hours, when I see the actual show. i don't want to be pessimistic but I've been exposed way too much to characters like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger wearing street clothes and the Inhumans, Elektra, Punisher wearing cheap looking costumes, so its hard to believe these shows would suddenly look like movie productions.

As for clamoring for more shows, I've been burned out by the live action shows produced by Marvel television since Aos premiered. So I doubt that would happen to me.
How many times do people need to tell you that those shows were MADE BY MARVEL TV and NOT MARVEL STUDIOS. There is a huge difference. Two completely different studios ran by different people in different cities. Marvel Studios is no longer part of Marvel Entertainment.

The Netflix shows are NOT a sample for the Disney+ shows. Those are the first shows Marvel Studios have ever made. Saying you are iffy because of the Marvel tv is like me saying i don't want to see Star Wars because i watched Star Trek and i didn't like it and since both franchises have the word Star in the title, i refuse to watch SW.

Your argument makes no sense. Loeb isn't even close to those shows.

I know Marvel Television aren't producing them, I'm not new here for you to repeat that. Again, I will believe the movie production level when I see it. Also how many tv/streaming shows out there have a movie production level, that suddenly Marvel Studios' streaming shows would be the exception and their shows would look as expensive as the films that they've produced in the past or action/superhero movies in general. Unless you have concrete evidence that would be the case, then okay. But like me, you haven't seen a single thing from those shows.

Crazy how something with a movie production level is heading straight to a streaming site instead of theater screens. If they didn't think those characters are worthy to headline their own solo film, I doubt the shows would look as expensive as Ant-Man and the Wasp, especially the shows would have more screentime than a a single mcu movie. What If is already being done in animation and I doubt the animation of that would be similar to the latest Pixar film.

Last edited:
I know Marvel Television aren't producing them, I'm not new here for you to repeat that. Again, I will believe the movie production level when I see it. Also how many tv/streaming shows out there have a movie production level, that suddenly Marvel Studios' streaming shows would be the exception and their shows would look as expensive as the films that they've produced in the past or action/superhero movies in general. Unless you have concrete evidence that would be the case, then okay. But like me, you haven't seen a single thing from those shows.

Crazy how something with a movie production level is heading straight to a streaming site instead of theater screens. If they didn't think those characters are worthy to headline their own solo film, I doubt the shows would look as expensive as Ant-Man and the Wasp, especially the shows would have more screentime than a a single mcu movie. What If is already being done in animation and I doubt the animation of that would be similar to the latest Pixar film.

Mandalorian is having 15 million per episode. That's higher than GOT and GOT HAD movie level porduction values. There is your evidence. The Disney+ shows have the same budget as Mandalorian.

The fact that hey are mini series and not movies doesn't mean they are not worthy of movies. It means that Marvel takes the opportunity to give more content to their wsupporting heroes and Disney gets high profiles shows based on very popular Ips to attract audiences.

It's called a marketing move. And nobody said the shows are having 150 million budget. But they are as close to movie level production values as a comic book show is ever gonna get.

If you can't understand that, then it's not. Not, Marvel or Disney. And stop associating the Marvel tv shows with the Disney+ ones. It's the fourth time is see you doing it.

When The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki, What If and Hawkeye all looked like movie productions (all its episodes). Then we'll talk.

Again we haven't seen any of the episodes for you to declare that they look like a movie. The pilot episode of Lost and Pan Am both cost more than 10 million, they didn't look like a movie to me.

I've seenGame of Thrones as well, the episodes don't look as expensive as Wb's big films like Harry potter and the Hobbit. They look expensive for a tv show, but compare to big movies out there, not really. Unless you compare them to movies with a budget of lower than 50 million. Okay sure.

And again, you don't need to lecture me about the difference between marvel TV and Marvel Studios. But hey they are using Marvel characters. Its not impossible to make a comparison. Again until we see all episodes that look like a movie, big movies, then we'll talk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"