Phig's Art

Phig

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey there Hypesters

thanks everyone for the fantastic & encouraging welcome people have been giving me over on the monthly contest thread. I'm currently in senior high school teacher training here in the UK but my first loves have always been Japanese and American comic books & pop cultures, and I still hope to escape my fate as an English teacher and become a comic book auteur!

Thought you might be interested to see some of my stuff

monkpf2.jpg

after seige perilous 2, psylocke was reborn as a Buddhist monk

batmanbeyondlinero4.png

Batman beyond, i coloured this but it didn't turn out great & i prefer the lines

usaginotextsmallish2wuzh1.jpg

Usagi Yojimbo [in retrospect I shouldn't have put his ears out of shot, no one ever knows who it is!]

page14panela02cv0.png

a doomed samurai from my own comic i'm working on - just finished the first page! woohoo!

Will be back with some more stuff soon. Comments welcome!

Hey there Hypesters

thanks everyone for the fantastic & encouraging welcome people have been giving me over on the monthly contest thread. I'm currently in senior high school teacher training here in the UK but my first loves have always been Japanese and American comic books & pop cultures, and I still hope to escape my fate as an English teacher and become a comic book auteur!

Thought you might be interested to see some of my stuff

monkpf2.jpg

after seige perilous 2, psylocke was reborn as a Buddhist monk

batmanbeyondlinero4.png

Batman beyond, i coloured this but it didn't turn out great & i prefer the lines

Usagi Yojimbo [in retrospect I shouldn't have put his ears out of shot, no one ever knows who it is!]

page14panela02cv0.png

a doomed samurai from my own comic i'm working on - just finished the first page! woohoo!

Will be back with some more stuff soon. Comments welcome!

You have a unique style! Really liked your Celtic Hellboy in the monthly contest too. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. :word:

Your work is very stylized. It works on lots of levels, and speaks well of your work.
I picked up on Yojimbo right away. I don't think that it's a matter of the ears in the picture, only who you're showing it to.
Keep up the good work, i'll be keepin an eye out.

Great stuff u have here Phig. LOL if you hadn't said who it was I wouldn't ve known. It's still awesome even w/o the bunny ears.:woot:

Neat style, nice work. :up:

Haha, I didn't recognize who it was at first but I love your style great work. :up:

batmanbeyondlinero4.png

freaking awesome... love all your stuff, but this one has such a cool specific style you've used... just badas$!

hey everyone, thanks so much for the comments & encouragement: i really appreciate it. thought you might like to see some more stuff...

first up, a cover i did for my mate's band's CD [yet to see the light of day, which i'm kinda disappointed about seeing as i did this a year ago]
blackcabseppcoveref4.jpg

next, a character concept i drew ages ago with a mouse before i got my tablet or scanner: the idea, which i still hope to come back to, has a bunch of neo-nazi nuns bent on reclaiming christmas from the capitalists attempt to assassinate santa as he turns up for a meeting with his agent to discuss an advertising contract. the assassination attempt doesn't kill him, but leaves him mortally wounded... rudolph takes him back to the north pole where he is rebuilt by his elves as a death-dealing cyborg bent on revenge!
furioussantaiz5.jpg

the first two completed pages from my current project "MURAOKA" about a samurai vampire...
page12pe6.jpg

page13og3.jpg

something slightly different: my sin city yakuza self-portrait
sincityyakuzatd0.jpg

and finally, most of you've already seen it, but here's the celtic redesign for hellboy from last month's fanart contest
celtichellboyfinished2ci2.jpg

more soon... comments welcome!

the Santa pic is awesome! can't wait to see you contest entry this month!

for those of you interested, here's a wip for the spidey contest this month
spideywipnd4.png

also, I may have secured myself a commission [woohoo!] but I have no idea how much to charge! the client is american, so my american friends, in US dollars can anyone tell me what the going rate is? thanks a lot!

can't wait to see how the contest entry progresses and congrats on the commission deal.

i wish i could help you out with cost, but i have no idea. i'd suggest checking some DA pages and see what they charge on average

thanx comicchick. here's summat else i whipped up a while ago... don't ask me about all the dead angels...

eveinedensmallbo1.jpg

You remind me of the late, great Seth Fisher. Have you ever seen his work?

You remind me of the late, great Seth Fisher. Have you ever seen his work?

you've made my week with your comment, phoney bone. thanks.

in fact, i had the great privelege of meeting seth fisher in japan six months before he died and subsequently corresponding with him, and he is without doubt the reason i got properly back into drawing comics. i was really shaken up by his death but part of me believes [and is trying to convince the rest of me] that i have [or could develop] what it takes to succeed him and pick up the baton where he let it fall... sounds ridiculously arrogant, i know.

willworld. fantastic four & iron man big in japan. that mr freeze story from lotdk. tokyo pop. the scope and detail of that man's imagination were immense, and his passing was a terrible loss for the industry.

so... yeah, i know about seth fisher. thanks so much for the compliment.

for those of you interested, here's a wip for the spidey contest this month
spideywipnd4.png

also, I may have secured myself a commission [woohoo!] but I have no idea how much to charge! the client is american, so my american friends, in US dollars can anyone tell me what the going rate is? thanks a lot!

Liking this so far.

As far as comissions, it depends on certain things for me. Who the client is, what they want, size of the piece etc. You can base it on an hourly wage that's what a lot of my friends do and usually charge from 25+ per hour.

You should try and get your hands on the Graphic artist's Guild Handbook it's worth the buy. Talks about contracts, copyright and has suggested price lists for pretty much every type of illustration including comic pages, animation, web site design.

you've made my week with your comment, phoney bone. thanks.

in fact, i had the great privelege of meeting seth fisher in japan six months before he died and subsequently corresponding with him, and he is without doubt the reason i got properly back into drawing comics. i was really shaken up by his death but part of me believes [and is trying to convince the rest of me] that i have [or could develop] what it takes to succeed him and pick up the baton where he let it fall... sounds ridiculously arrogant, i know.

willworld. fantastic four & iron man big in japan. that mr freeze story from lotdk. tokyo pop. the scope and detail of that man's imagination were immense, and his passing was a terrible loss for the industry.

so... yeah, i know about seth fisher. thanks so much for the compliment.
That's just wonderful you got to know him before his unfortunate passing.

He'd be proud man, you're doing some awesome work. I could see you picking up that baton.

Hey, nice work. You definately have a style.
Can't wait till you post some more.
See ya on deviantart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"