Pink Panther - MGM Prepping Live Action/CG Movie

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/pink-panther-movie-mgm-live-action-animated/
MGM To Make New Live-Action/CG ‘Pink Panther’ Movie
By THE DEADLINE TEAM

In the latest effort mining its deep library catalog for feature film franchises, MGM said today that it is developing a new Pink Panther movie, a live-action/animated hybrid that will take its cues from the tone set by the original Friz Freleng and David De Patie cartoons in addition to that of Blake Edwards’ films. That means that the focus will be on the Pink Panther character itself more than Inspector Clouseau, who took over the spotlight for Edwards’ movies thanks to Peter Sellers’ creation of one of the most iconic comedy characters of all time. There have been 11 Pink Panther feature films (and countless cartoons and shorts) spanning five decades — like another MGM property James Bond one of the movie business’ longest-running feature franchises.

Walter Mirisch, exec producer of the original movies and TV series, has come aboard to produce the new pic along with Edwards’ widow Julie Andrews. The Simpsons Movie and Monsters Inc director David Silverman will direct. MGM’s SVP Production Cassidy Lange will oversee the film for the studio.

“We are incredibly proud to re-introduce the Pink Panther to a brand new generation in such a fresh way. Even more exciting is the chance to work again with our dear friends Walter Mirisch and Julie Andrews, as well as the talented David Silverman, whose enthusiasm convinced us to ‘Think Pink!’,” said Jonathan Glickman, president of MGM’s motion picture group, who made the announcement today with MGM chairman and CEO Gary Barber.

The Pink Panther character originated a 50 years ago when it was created by Edwards, Freleng and Hawley Pratt for the opening credits of the feature films. Their popularity spawned the short The Pink Phink, directed by Freleng and Pratt, won the 1964 Oscar for Best Animated Short. More shorts and TV series followed through the years.
When I was a kid, I was always vaguely pissed off that the PP character didn't actually feature into the movies. Then again, that was before I was old enough to appreciate Peter Sellars.

Last edited:
See, I don't view it as an abomination since the character has had like umpteen of his own shorts and three of his own saturday morning cartoons. I'd like to see how they pull it off if he's mute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"