Pitch ideas for Superman solo

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by Tg11, Apr 6, 2019.

1. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

The difference is Returns was not actually set in the past. The film I originally proposed to see would be. There would be no iPads and internet. But the discovery of advanced Kryptonian technology would allow you to mix in some futuristic designs, weapons, and robots otherwise not available in such a time period. Yet still be firmly planted narratively in the US pre-WWII.

I'd like to see a Superman film actually set in the 1938 for various reasons. It allows certain elements to be included and feel more at home. Bruno Mannheim, Intergang, the Ace o' Clubs, even the Daily Planet. A golden age evil scientist Lex if they were to choose that version of the character also blends in perfectly. The dual identity aspect fits in smoothly with the 1930's eras. No cellphones and cameras anywhere to snap your photo and send it around the world. You can be in Metropolis and not be seen anyone else around the world.

Most of all, it would tell me there is something different going on with this Superman film, different than MOS. Sure, we're most likely getting Superman set in modern times once again and I'm all for that. But I'm open to other possibilities.

Vaibow likes this.
  2. TheComicbookKid

TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Nostalgia is like a chain holding Superman back. Instead of using the best pieces to build something new, there's a tendency to just try to recreate what was cool before but not bringing anything new.

Lex isn't the golden age scientist anymore. What beyond a retro feel does making him that way again accomplish? What new would be said about him that putting him in 2019 wouldn't?

I feel like making Metropolis/Superman into a futurist city of tomorrow can still accomplish retro designs but making it something people/fans haven't seen before. Creating a "woah, I've never seen Superman like that before."

3. Frodo

Frodo Registered

If I were doing a Superman reboot film , I'd go for a story that was much more intimate and smaller scale in Superman terms. I wouldn't touch the origin, Krypton, Kryponite,Jor El, Other DC characters,World events, and alot of the massive subjects the last films have covered in this first film.

I'd have the film basically take place exclusively in Metropolis as opposed to having him flying all over the world solving problems in this film.

I would tell more of a fish out of water and right of passage story of a young man starting a new life in this larger then life city , with larger than life characters , and Metropolis embraces Superman.

I'd have Lois be Clark's rival who he bickers with akin to Tracy and Hepburn. At the end they find out a way to work together and to form a partnership , leaving room for their relationship to develop in future films.

Lex would be a supporting character, in addition to Maggie Sawyer. Morgan Edge and Intergang would be the criminal syndicate which is the ongoing threat to Metropolis. Parasite and Livewire would be their sadistic Meta Human enforcers.

Vaibow likes this.
  4. Willi Berg

Willi Berg On The Run

It could be a way to go if Superman is tied to the Supergirl movies. They could save certain worldwide events for the teamup movies, where Superman and Supergirl fight together. Their own movies could tell more personal stories. It would be a way to really explore Metropolis too.

5. BestGirl

BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

I don't know what I would do for a plot but I do know that I don't want another origin story.

Willi Berg likes this.
  6. Vaibow

Vaibow Registered

I've been saying for a while that they need to look at it as the main players are Clark, Lois, Jimmy, Perry and how they react to life in metropolis - working for the daily planet, uncovering corruption and also how they report, respond and view this super man.
    That's the human element and what makes it relatable.

Superman, a lot of it should be like, eye witness accounts, from their perspective - he's this urban legend, peter pan or santa claus almost - too good to be true. We never see him up close, it's like we are not formally introduced to him - but we see iphone footage, news reporters - think the opening of BvS, a better, clearer version of that, like, train rescues, burning buildings etc.

If you had never heard of superman, you would never had guessed clark was superman, until the final third where we see clark faced with an ultimatum and then we see it from his perspective.

I think that would be a cool way.

7. TheComicbookKid

TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Start with no Kryptonite of any kind as rule one.