Planetary

I need to go back and reread the whole series again. Loved it. One of the best things i've ever read.

I think one of the things that made it so great was the fact that if you were famaliar with comics you could see everything, or a lot of things he was talking about, but at the saem time, if you were a fan of old literature, you could read quite a few issues and enjoy those just as much, like the one above. It made the series a good read as far as story and art were concerned, but it was fun to see if you ould figure out what each character was analogous for, if at all.

I think one of the things that made it so great was the fact that if you were famaliar with comics you could see everything, or a lot of things he was talking about, but at the saem time, if you were a fan of old literature, you could read quite a few issues and enjoy those just as much, like the one above. It made the series a good read as far as story and art were concerned, but it was fun to see if you ould figure out what each character was analogous for, if at all.
God, I loved that about this book. I was in awe when they uncovered [blackout]the Kaiju[/blackout] off the coast of Japan. It got even better as they uncovered the Four, and discovered the cache of [blackout]superhero weapons[/blackout].

It's probably my favorite Ellis book, followed by Transmetropolitan, the first 12 issues of The Authority, and Global Frequency.

Best moment in the whole series for you.

Mine had to be the opening story, where they find Doc Brass and he tells them the story of how he and his friends saved the world from a JLA like team that wanted to kill everyone on Earth to make room for everyone on they're dying Earth. Brass spent fifty some odd years guarding the door way between realities with his legs burned up and looking like old hot dogs at the 7-11. F**king classic.

A few questions after reading books 1 and 2:

-Can someone briefly explain the whole "sample mission" which saw the death of Eli's predecessor?I was confused in parts as to what the whole mission was about,the thing that escaped and the dead people inside the rocket.

You're talking about Ambrose Chase? Well, for starters, finish the volume you're on for more explanation about him

that issue, if I recall correctly, dealt with scientists who attempted to create a fictional universe and then make conact with it, which they did by sending in a ship. Ship comes back, crew dead, something from the fictional universe came back with it

Ah yes, planet Fiction. I'm not sure entirely, because I read the frist three trades and got the rest in comic form, so I don't know if maybe I missed something, but the thing is, theres a lot of stuff left unanswered. Like whether or not Chase actually died, or what happend to the thing they brought back.

What I can answer is this, the dead people in the rocket were members of the Four's organization sent to retrive what they created on Planet Fiction. This ultimate weapon of unimaginable power. They got him in the rocket apparently, and he took them apart. The real question is, what happened to this guy? where did he go? Maybe this will be answered in the one shot they plan on doing whenever the f**k Ellis and Cass get ready to do so.

Thanks guys,I get it now.This series is as mind blowing as many people have made it out to be.Can't wait to read Book 3 when I get it maybe next week or the week after.

I have a theory as to what the being from Planet Fiction was meant to be an homage to/parody of:

Loony Toons.

Think about it. All of the things he did seemed, to me, like what it would look like if the stuff that the Loony Tunes did to each other happened to a real person. Plus, when they entered the craft, they said they heard "music". The Loony Toons had rather kooky background music.

That would be incredibly freaky, and very Morrisonesque. Like the Coyote Gospel from Animal man. Good theory Q.

Planetary Book 2,Eli
marks a "4" into the park and is visible from space

What was the significance of this?That
he was the 4th man?Or to call out the "Four"
?

Anybody have the Absolute Planetary volume? I want that so bad it hurts to think about it, and I'd like to know what someone who actually owns it thinks.

Hmmm,I don't know if I would want to own the first 12 issues in an Absolute.The 12th issue pretty much ended without a solid conclusion.By solid I mean a definite ending.

They should have waited until it was over and collected the whole thing. It was only like 26-28 issues I think. Having the Crossovers would have been nice but they aren't exactly essential.

Hopefully they'll be releasing an Absolute Planetary vol. 2, or maybe even an Absolute Complete Planetary when all of the follow-ups and stuff are done.

Batman keeping up with Jakita in the crossover was straight up nonsense. Damn they can kill off Supes in an "imaginary" story but Bats can't lose a fight?:whatever:

Are the final issues of Planetary going to be TPB'd? I've not seen it announced anywhere but I'm sure it would be.

I'm sure the final issues will be collected as soon as they finish making that one remaining issue they have left.
*gives Cassaday the evil eye*

Oh yeah, forgot about the super-secret last issue special.

Oooooo boy,Book 3 was the best yet.Love how it really picks up the pace and ties certain plot elements together.

Now I'm torn between waiting for the trade or hunting down the issues.

God I love Planetary. It's not my favorite Ellis, in fact it's not even close... but that's like saying The Eternals isn't my favorite Gaiman. Even their mediocre work is incredible. Planetary is my favorite history of comics as narrative genre of book. The idea of Anthropologists of the Absurd is just too ****ing cool.

Ellis does have some genuine mediochre, though. See: Ultimate Gah Lak Tus trilogy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"