PlayStation Move

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
Basically, this is a thread to talk about PS3's new "magic wand" motion controllers. Utilizing the PS Eye camera, they are effectively a hybrid of Natal's camera-based motion sensing and Wii's point tracking and accelerometer-based controllers, and Sony touts them as being the most precise motion control solution available. Resident Evil 5 is getting a motion controller compatible director's cut which will handle in the same manner as RE4 on Wii, and there is an update on the way for Little Big Planet that will enable wand support.

Little Big Planet motion wand co-op demonstration

[YT]FeAHhUF7qSM[/YT]

Resident Evil 5 DC motion controls demonstration

[YT]NgDV48JbYXw[/YT]

KEEP DISCUSSION CIVIL, OR THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED LIKE THE LAST ONE!

My own 2¢ on the topic: I think that this could be a worthwhile supplement to the system, because for a long while the Eyetoy and PS Eye have offered some decent novelty, but no serious gaming applications. It is more or less a refined me-too of the Wiimote, but again, as a supplement to the standard gaming offered by PS3 I think it could open up some great opportunities (as long as the developer support is there). The one thing that concerns me though, is the lack of a "nunchuk" like Wii has.

As you could see from the RE5 demo, holding half the Dualshock 3 / Sixaxis in one hand while waggling the wand in the other looks like a bit of a pain, as the Dual Shock was obviously never intended to be used with one hand. Given that there's really no way around the fact that the wand is similar to the Wiimote, I think they might as well just go all the way and offer a nunchuck, whether it's through Sony themselves, Logitech, Mad Catz, Nyko, or any other company hoping to cash in. Here's a quick, sloppy mockup I made of what a possible PS3chuk might look like (emphasis on sloppy)

I don't care for motion controls so I will not be buying this.

Well i think that the motion controler is pretty cool but i won't buy it. Never liked The Wii motion control Natal looks interesting though

I think the only way I will get this is if its really cheap. I got the PS3 Eye with Eye of Judgement bc it was on clearance at Target but never use it. Ill look for this when its on clearance

I doubt Sony is fully intending on throwing a lot of support behind this. I think its more of a gimmick saying "look, we have motion controls just like the Wii!"

If it works, and they do support it, great. I mean to have the capabilities of the Wii's controls behind games that dont look like absolute s**t, that could be cool, but having to hold the DS3 in one hand and this in the other is a horrible design. I dont see too many ppl, putting up with that.

Like Havok said, ill look into this if its really really cheap.

I can think of so many cool applications for the double wand they showed at E3. Just imagine a PS3 controller split in half, one in each hand, and those wouldu be your in game hands. shoulder buttons for grabbing and **** like that, and still have the buttons, except now it's like metroid prime all the time.

Here's a listing of the launch titles. I hope they put out a motion-less Ape Escape game bc I like that series but I doubt they will. They made it the first game to require the Dualshock on the PS1 which forced owners who didnt have that controler to get one if they wanted to play the game.

Ape Escape (Working Title)

Echochrome 2 (Working Title)
Eccentric Slider (Working Title)
Sing and Draw (Working Title)
Champions of Time (Working Title)
Motion Party (Working Title)
The Shoot (Working Title)
Tower (Working Title)
PAIN(*2)
Flower(*2)
Hustle Kings(*2)
High Velocity Bowling(*2)
EyePet(*2)

http://ps3.gamespy.com/articles/102/1028132p1.html

Maybe Konami will put out a new Time Crisis game that isn't a POS. I think it'd be awesome if there were ports of arcade lightgun games available over Playstation Network. :up:

I'm really hoping for a PS3 nunchuck to come out in time for RE5.

I'm on the border with this. I haven't even bought a PS Eye yet, and am not necessarily a fan of peripherals that are treated like gimmicks. If this is pushed better than the PS Eye, and if it's put in serious games rather than party games, it might be a buy for me. I like the idea of a Zelda like adventure where you swing and it 100% mimicks your motion. Of course I have my concerns about it being forgotten much like the PS Eye and Guncon 3 as well.

On the plus side I think it'll be better for gaming than Natal. While I think Natal will give better immersion in a game, I can see character control problems (like scratching your nose and your character shooting by accident). Plus I see slight tracking problems with Natal, especially in dark rooms. Where the PS motion wands look far more accuracte, I can see them enhancing some shooters. I also like the flexibility, using 1 or 2 wands, using a wand and a controller, etc, giving room for game developers to get creative.

I guess put me in the wait and see line.

Last edited:
but having to hold the DS3 in one hand and this in the other is a horrible design. I dont see too many ppl, putting up with that.

It's funny, that put me off at first too, but it's really not bad at all. I had a flashlight in my desk, just to get the general feel I tried holding my DS3 in one hand and the point the flashlight in the other....it's really not bad at all. The DS3 doesn't feel like it's going to slip, or that holding it with one hand is a strain or anything.

Not trying to defend it as I'm wary of the product as well, but I was just surprised that holding it like that wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it'd be.

As a side note, I also saw on a video where they said the motion wand will be pressure sensative and have rumble. So if you're grabbing something, it can detect how tightly you grab an object. I can see developers getting creative with that as well (maybe if you grab a delicate object too hard you'll break it or something).

Meh. Not interested, and the list of launch titles doesn't help. I'll pass.

It's funny, that put me off at first too, but it's really not bad at all. I had a flashlight in my desk, just to get the general feel I tried holding my DS3 in one hand and the point the flashlight in the other....it's really not bad at all. The DS3 doesn't feel like it's going to slip, or that holding it with one hand is a strain or anything.

Not trying to defend it as I'm wary of the product as well, but I was just surprised that holding it like that wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it'd be.

As a side note, I also saw on a video where they said the motion wand will be pressure sensative and have rumble. So if you're grabbing something, it can detect how tightly you grab an object. I can see developers getting creative with that as well (maybe if you grab a delicate object too hard you'll break it or something).

Haha i did the same thing. It wasnt as bad as i thought, but it wasnt good either. They really need some type of nun chuck like the Wii has.

There's one horror-looking game in the dev blog video that has me interested. Other than that, ick.

Delayed

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1062136p1.html

January 19, 2010 - Sony's PlayStation 3 Motion Controller won't be hitting stores this spring. The company announced today its still-unnamed peripheral has been delayed until this coming fall for all territories, implying the titles that utilize the tech aren't quite ready yet.

"We have decided to release the Motion Controller in fall 2010 when we will be able to offer an exciting and varied line-up of software titles that will deliver the new entertainment experience to PS3 users, " said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

"We will continue to work to have a comprehensive portfolio of attractive and innovative games for the Motion Controller, not only from SCE Worldwide Studios but also from the third party developers and publishers, whom we have been working closely with. We look forward to soon unveiling the exciting software line-up that further expands and defines the PS3 platform as the ultimate entertainment system for the home."

Announced at this past E3, the PlayStation 3 Motion Controller was originally planned for spring 2010, but Sony has since been quiet about its launch plans.

Sony has also yet to confirm a name for the controller, though, recent comments from Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello hint the motion controller may be called "Gem."

At last year's Tokyo Game Show, Sony also revealed a list of several titles that will incorporate the motion wand, including Resident Evil 5 (Gold Edition), LittleBigPlanet Motion, and Ape Escape PS3.

Resident Evil 5 (Gold Edition) is currently scheduled for release this March in Japan, but it may also be delayed now, too. We contacted Capcom for an update.

I think the delay isn't a bad thing at all. Sony has a been riding some pretty good momentum lately with the PS3 slim and a great selection of exclusive games. I say wait until you can fully incorporate the device with the games before releasing it, less chance that it feels "tacked on."

Same here especially since I dont think theres any rush for them to push this out. I mean people arent heavily anticipating it. Its best to hold off until they are able to launch it with better support and not just a few games here and there

I think that this is a very bad move by Sony.
If they would release it in the Spring, they would be ahead of Natal, and that would take away some of the hype behind it.
By releasing in in the fall, they going against the Microsoft motion controller, and, if Natal is all that the rumors and hype are making it.....

Yeah... it was a very bad move by Sony

So its better to have rush out an incomplete project for a subpar launch which could potentially damage the credibility of this device, kill any buzz it did have and turn off gamers? Sony isnt and shouldnt release this thing until they are satisfied with it and they arent at the moment. Their technology isnt ready and they dont have the games to back it up. The only major title that it would have had now was Resident Evil 5 and most likely experimental shovelware crap like on the Wii. Its best they give developers time to incorporate it into their titles so that when it does launch, there is more to offer. This thing wont sell without the software to back it up and right now, it doesnt have that.

So its better to have rush out an incomplete project for a subpar launch which could potentially damage the credibility of this device, kill any buzz it did have and turn off gamers? Sony isnt and shouldnt release this thing until they are satisfied with it and they arent at the moment. Their technology isnt ready and they dont have the games to back it up. The only major title that it would have had now was Resident Evil 5 and most likely experimental shovelware crap like on the Wii. Its best they give developers time to incorporate it into their titles so that when it does launch, there is more to offer. This thing wont sell without the software to back it up and right now, it doesnt have that.
Sure, i agree with you, but the thing you´re forgetting that is, it was Sony that said it was going to be released on Spring.
So, in the end, Microsoft was the one that knew better, because they always said that they didn´t believed that Sony would release it on time.

I'm really interested in how this will be with RE5 since I really enjoyed RE4 on the Wii. But since it's delayed until Fall, I'll pick up RE5 before.

the only way this fails if if developers don't know what to do with it. the tech is there and precise and has been demonstrated as such already. it hasn't had to rely on scripted demos like natal to build hype. anything that's been done with wii motion plus will be easy to replicate. anything that's been done on the DS with the stylus can be replicated. add to that the physics and graphics abilities of ps3 and you've got something intresting.

This will fail. Motion controls very rarely help a gaming experience.

It really just comes down to how it's implemented.

Motion controls would really enhance Resident Evil 5. After getting really used to the excellent controls of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, I found the controls for Resident Evil 5 to just be off putting.

Or you could be like most Wii games where the motion controls just feel tacked on and become gimmicky like most shovelware games. Or you have a lazy and/or crappy developer who uses motion controls on what would be perfect and just fail at it for whatever reason like Red Steel.

It really just comes down to how it's implemented.

Motion controls would really enhance Resident Evil 5. After getting really used to the excellent controls of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, I found the controls for Resident Evil 5 to just be off putting.

Or you could be like most Wii games where the motion controls just feel tacked on and become gimmicky like most shovelware games. Or you have a lazy and/or crappy developer who uses motion controls on what would be perfect and just fail at it for whatever reason like Red Steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"