• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Playstation Now

Or alternatively, they could keep it the way they have it, but still have a premium service ala Amazon Prime (Now seems modeled more so after Amazon than Netflix). I think that's probably more likely.

Also, are video stores that rent out games really that common anymore? All I know of is Redbox, all the chains and local rental places in my area are gone now. Redbox's video game selection tends to be rather poor in my experience.

Here in Germany we still have 1 large chain that rents out games and movies.

Should they model it after Amazon, then PSNow better be free for anyone that actually already owns PS+. I have Amazon Prime, and I got their Streaming service added for no additional costs at all.

I don't think there's a question of if, because the way they have it structured in the beta is very much like the rental/buy services of Amazon or iTunes. All the comparisons to Netflix haven't been apt because of that.

But I doubt it'll be rolled into Plus. Most likely it'll be it's own cost. And technically, there really isn't a streaming service on Amazon. You are streaming content, but having Prime basically unlocks certain content without having to rent/buy. It's not really the same as Netflix.

I don't think it needs to be multiplatform to succeed, because by that logic then PsNow already failed. Anyways I thought Sony was TRYING to make a flat rate for PsNow instead of coming up with rental prices
As I said, either multiplatform by a cabal of publishers or have Microsoft develop a similar service that is pretty much the same thing as PlayStation Now to where you might as well say that they're the same.

I think keep the 4 hours but introduce new PS4 games for people to test out. Basically like what people did back in the Blockbuster days. Rent a game for a while to try it out and if you like it you go out and buy it. (yes I know some just kept renting and renting until they beat it...but a lot of people rented games just to try them out before they bought them)

This isn't likely to feature PS4 games for quite some time and when they do, it will be more expensive than the PS3 games they are offering. Why? PS4 games are inherently larger than PS3. On average, very PS3 games are more than 10gb. PS4 games are closer to 20-something gb and this is the beginning of the new generation. That number is likely to get bigger once cross gen titles become a thing of the past. They likely don't have the tech to support something like that and considering the US has among the slowest internet speed in the developed country, that's not something most consumers would be able to utilize at least to optimal conditions. PS3 games are a feat in and of itself and reports have said that's not even 100% yet.

I don't think there's a question of if, because the way they have it structured in the beta is very much like the rental/buy services of Amazon or iTunes. All the comparisons to Netflix haven't been apt because of that.

But I doubt it'll be rolled into Plus. Most likely it'll be it's own cost. And technically, there really isn't a streaming service on Amazon. You are streaming content, but having Prime basically unlocks certain content without having to rent/buy. It's not really the same as Netflix.
It wont and it shouldn't. If they were to ever do that, the price of Plus would likely go up significantly to accommodate for increase workload on the network. I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for this, bc they don't understand exactly how everything works

Last edited:
Or alternatively, they could keep it the way they have it, but still have a premium service ala Amazon Prime (Now seems modeled more so after Amazon than Netflix). I think that's probably more likely.

Also, are video stores that rent out games really that common anymore? All I know of is Redbox, all the chains and local rental places in my area are gone now. Redbox's video game selection tends to be rather poor in my experience.

I had 3 blockbusters with in like 30 miles of me in the last like year or 2 close. We do have a video libray still witch is a surpise. I don't see a 5 date retalile at 5.99 a problem has that was about what movies cost back when there was a blockbuster and yeah I have yet to see a redbox that even has xbox one or ps4 games. All I see in redbox is ps3, xbox 360 and wii u and I think wii u was just in the last month or so. I wanted to rent madden 25 has I decide for the first time to not buy it in years has madden hasn't really been good siences ps2 days but I wanted to see what it was like on the new system has I have a ps4.

As I said, either multiplatform by a cabal of publishers or have Microsoft develop a similar service that is pretty much the same thing as PlayStation Now to where you might as well say that they're the same.

If that is the case then yeah, I think it is quite likely we'll see an announcement for an Xbox Now in the near future.

There is no way to can handle the server/streaming costs if this thing doesn't become a major hit. And it won't...not with the prices. This appeals to a small crowd who can afford it.

There is no way to can handle the server/streaming costs if this thing doesn't become a major hit. And it won't...not with the prices. This appeals to a small crowd who can afford it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but Sony did state they're trying to implement a flat rate for PsNow.

I played Space Marines via PS Now

It ran pretty well, just a bit of latency but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. Some compression of the stream but all in all pretty good.

Space Marines is absolutely mediocre though. Hopefully, the library will get bigger sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but Sony did state they're trying to implement a flat rate for PsNow.
I think the prices are pretty fair - less than $5 bucks for an evening of gaming/trying out, up to $15 for 3 months. I'd like to see the price for the 4 hour option be a buck or two cheaper but $15 for 90 days of game play isn't bad at all.

That being said, if a better payment option is out there, I'll certainly take it.

I think the prices are pretty fair - less than $5 bucks for an evening of gaming/trying out, up to $15 for 3 months. I'd like to see the price for the 4 hour option be a buck or two cheaper but $15 for 90 days of game play isn't bad at all.

That being said, if a better payment option is out there, I'll certainly take it.

For $15 I could get two PS3 games and own them.

From where and what games? I have never even seen bottom of the barrel 1/10 star PS3 games for less than $20. If you're referring to buying games used, I would not consider that a fair comparison, and most people would agree with me. Used and private sales will almost always be cheaper that buying/renting from a retailer - regardless of the product.

The fact is, Playstation Now, like rental movie services, isn't for people who want to own the product - its a convenience for those who want to try it out without the commitment of a full on purchase. You're paying for the convenience and flexibility. The fact that one can hunt down a bargain on a used game doesn't - and shouldn't - have any impact on a rental service that's catering to people that want to rent.

When you consider the price of renting games from brick and mortar shops - $15 bucks would barely get you a week of play time. Hell, it's even better than renting movies online - You'll spend around $5 on Amazon for a 48 hour movie rental. The fact is that $15 for a 3 month rental - that's 5 bucks a month - is damn cheap. Naturally, I'd be ALL FOR cheaper/better payment plans, but what Sony has currently is far from outrageous.

From where and what games? I have never even seen bottom of the barrel 1/10 star PS3 games for less than $20. If you're referring to buying games used, I would not consider that a fair comparison, and most people would agree with me. Used and private sales will almost always be cheaper that buying/renting from a retailer - regardless of the product.
Many places actually and you aren't looking hard enough if you honestly cant find PS3 games for under $20. I got God of War Ascension for $5 earlier this year at Best Buy and Saints Row IV was available for that price last month. I got Mass Effect 3 CE for $8 at Gamestop of all places about a year and a half ago. All of these were new, not used titles, and during normal store sales, as opposed to Black Friday

That's cool but you cant play those on your PS4. There is no benefit to using Now on the PS3 if you have access to those games. The service however is necessary in order for someone on other platforms to play those games and that's where it will most likely get its most application

Damn, Havok, you need to start showing the love and pointing us to these sales when they happen.

I know this website. I don't check it enough.

na man i'm not down for any sort of rental ****. the **** has to be flatrate. it has to be netflix.

Many places actually and you aren't looking hard enough if you honestly cant find PS3 games for under $20. I got God of War Ascension for $5 earlier this year at Best Buy and Saints Row IV was available for that price last month. I got Mass Effect 3 CE for $8 at Gamestop of all places about a year and a half ago. All of these were new, not used titles, and during normal store sales, as opposed to Black Friday

Well f*** me silly. :up:

na man i'm not down for any sort of rental ****. the **** has to be flatrate. it has to be netflix.
But games are very different from movies/shows...for one there is a far longer entertainment value in any one game than an entire season of a tv show. You're paying for that time. You're also having to pay for the massive power it takes to run the games on their servers and kick it to your living room - something that even Netflix would balk at. And with that in mind, I'd be very surprised if a monthly flat rate would be any where near what people are hoping it'd cost. Personally, I hate monthly fees. If I don't want or get the chance to use the service for the majority of a month, I'll be damned if I still have to pay. I would much rather pay for what I actually AM playing instead of paying for the mere opportunity to play something.

Now is finally adopting a subscription model

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/05/playstation-now-subscription-program-all-the-details/

You’ve been able to rent games through PlayStation Now for several months now, but many of you have asked –- what about a subscription? I’m pleased to announce that starting January 13th, we’ll launch a subscription service for PlayStation Now that will provide instant and unlimited access to a catalog of more than 100 PS3 games. And since you’re using PlayStation Now, you can enjoy the freedom to quickly discover and play a wide range of full games without downloads, installs, or patches (not to mention trips to the store). The subscription service will be available first on PS4 across North America, and will come to other PlayStation Now enabled devices in the future.
You’ll be able to choose from two subscription plans: one month for $19.99, or a three-month package for $44.99 (about $15 per month). The subscription provides access to a large and diverse catalog of PS3 games, ranging from action to RPG and everything in-between. Check out our launch trailer for a sneak peek.

Now that they've done this, Im sure the next thing will be complaining about the price

yeah, damn that's expensive. but it's of course going to be more expensive than the most easily comparable service which is netflix. and that's because games are more expensive than movies and television shows.

The next comparable service would be closer to Gamefly which allows you to rent one game at a time for $16/month or two for $23/month. Now gives you access to 100s of games for $20/month or $15/month with the longer option. Considering its unlimited access, the pricing is not that bad

I wish they would have a a year plan like they do with plus

Im sure there probably will be in the future. This thing is still beta. I dont think they want to commit to a structure for a year, when all likely they will change it in a few months. They are gauging response, feedback and actual numbers to decide what will be the best route to take. This system is almost unprecedented, so they are learning as they go

The next comparable service would be closer to Gamefly which allows you to rent one game at a time for $16/month or two for $23/month. Now gives you access to 100s of games for $20/month or $15/month with the longer option. Considering its unlimited access, the pricing is not that bad

Im sure there probably will be in the future. This thing is still beta. I dont think they want to commit to a structure for a year, when all likely they will change it in a few months. They are gauging response, feedback and actual numbers to decide what will be the best route to take. This system is almost unprecedented, so they are learning as they go
but is gamefly streaming or physical? when ps now was first revealed everybody wanted to think of it literally as "the netflix of video games" and if that's what it becomes it does have a chance of success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"