Iron Man 3 "Please Don't Turn Down my Music": The Iron Man 3 Composer Thread

Son of Coul

Not 100% A Dick
Reaction score
So we don't have a composer yet for this movie, do we? If it was Favs directing I assume it'd be John Debney again since he's pretty keen on him but it's Black this time around. Perhaps he'll stick with John Ottman from KKBB, who's even already had a history composing superhero movies (X2, Superman Returns, both F4 films)?

Until we find out, who do you think should do it? Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to Ramin Djawadi returning. I know some people didn't like that it wasn't "iconic" or anything but I loved it, mostly because it was very visceral. It just fit every moment so well- highlights for me include the flight test with Mk II (really made the moment feel more sort of "magical") and the dogfight/"Gulmira" (made the action moments feel extra "**** yeah"). I was humming it for days afterward.

I just wasn't as big a fan of Debney's in IM2. There are tracks I like on my own ("Ivan's Metamorphosis," "Sledgehammer," "New Element") but it felt a little shallow in the movie's context rather than further investing me into what was going on. I do like Debney in general, but his IM2 score just wasn't my cup of tea.

I wouldn't mind either coming back - I enjoyed both scores immensely.

However, if we're getting someone new, as random as this is - I'd like to see David Arnold. He can blend electronic/orchestra like no other composer I've seen before, and I think he'd be a great choice :up:

I think it's going to be John Ottman. Black and Ottman had a great time working on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so barring Feige wanting someone else -- I expect Ottman back on.

Ottman would be great. The man can deliver an iconic theme. X2 and FF were both great and memorable themes, imo.

I enjoyed Ramin and Debney's soundtracks immensely, but they weren't... unified enough. There was no connection, no progression, reprises, etc, elements that I always look for in soundtracks.

Well, I found there was more of an expansion in themes for IM1 (I own the complete recording sessions), but I agree on F4 and X2. :up:

I was actually quite fond of the music in IM2.

Powell would also be a great choice, his Bourne and X3 scores were fantastic.

Well, I found there was more of an expansion in themes for IM1 (I own the complete recording sessions), but I agree on F4 and X2. :up:

I completely agree with you, but it's a shame nothing was used in IM2. And I expect something completely different for IM3. It's gonna be like the X-movies. 5 different composers, 5 different themes and scores.

Ramin is my favourite and I hope he comes back but I also thought Trent Reznor would suit Iron Man really well.

I want to hear another AC/DC song. "Shoot To Thrill" been used twice, so perhaps "T.N.T."?

It seems that Brian Tyler will be scoring.

I'm indifferent, I've seen some of the movies he's composed but I'll have to go back and listen to the scores. They may have been fairly unremarkable if I don't even remember, but maybe they served the story just viscerally enough to enhance them.

Some things he's done-- Eagle Eye, The Expendables 1 & 2, Rambo, Fast Five, The Final Destination, Battle: LA, as well as Modern Warfare 3, and Need for Speed.

Nothing he's done really has stood out to me, so like Son of Coul I will have to go back and liste to what he's done.

Just listened to some of his stuff; seems to fall in line with Djawadi's stuff from IM1 in terms of overall sound. It won't be straying too far. Nothing mind-blowing by any means, but it'll do I suppose.

I disagree, I think Ramin is a far better composer. But we'll see, maybe he'll surprise me.

I actually like this guy. Looking forward to hearing his work.

I think Tyler does some good stuff. He's also done the music for Transformers Prime.

Tbh, I never really cared much about Brian Tyler's music. And I don't own any of his scores. But he has my respect if he comes up with something more creative and inspiring than what's came before. But Marvel and Black should pat themselves on the back for not going with an MV/RC composer (excluding Powell), Tyler Bates, Trent Reznor and the like. I commend them for that.

Tbh, I never really cared much about Brian Tyler's music. And I don't own any of his scores. But he has my respect if he comes up with something more creative and inspiring than what's came before. But Marvel and Black should pat themselves on the back for not going with an MV/RC composer (excluding Powell), Tyler Bates, Trent Reznor and the like. I commend them for that.

Amen to that.

Tyler's a decent pick. If he's inspired, he can really bring it musically. Partition is a really underrated score, and his score for Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem was ballsy and exciting (and ultimately the best thing about that crap movie).

I just hope he won't phone in something as anonymous as his Fast & Furious scores. And he's not above incorporating other composers' themes into his scores, so if Marvel Studios wants some music continuity, maybe he'll reference part of Silvestri's Avengers theme? I barely remember any of Djawadi and Debney's themes for the first two IM films, so if he strays away from that I'm good.

I like Tyler's work. I'm just glad Debney won't be back. I don't remember anything from his score except that it sounded really generic.

Tyler's a decent pick. If he's inspired, he can really bring it musically. Partition is a really underrated score, and his score for Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem was ballsy and exciting (and ultimately the best thing about that crap movie).

Agreed. Plus, everyone, check his score for Annapolis and hope we're getting something like this for IM3.

They could've done a lot better. But also a lot worse.

I thought his scores for Rambo 4 and Expendables 1 & 2 were pretty good. For Rambo, it was great that he incorporated the main theme from the original movies, I love it when new composers to franchises do that as it gets the excitement going early.

I also thought his Expendables theme's were pretty good, it had a main theme that was memorable, as well as smaller themems that served the scene's well. Not a bad choice, not a bad choice at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"