Plot holes?

I felt that Mjolnir was handled properly from what ive seen of it in the comics despite the absence of the it's transportation abilities. Then again I guess if it can open portals then it's not as powerful as it should be.

In the comics Thor rarely uses it apart from smashing people with it or summoning lightning these days.

But really, he can do all sorts of things with it. Manipulate and absorb energy, travel dimensions, manipulate matter. All kinds of exotic things.

I understand why they had it less powerful and diverse in the movie though. Otherwise it would just be a plot device.

Unlike in comics, movies have to sometimes, but not always, dumb/water down, the power and greatness of things or else viewers would just go, "Why didn't they do that earlier?" I almost thought the hammer was too powerful against other weapons, Loki's for instance. They should have been on even playing fields, which I guess they kind of were. However, I would have like to see Thor's strength a lot more and not the hammer's. Nothing major though.

I swear Odin stuck his spear Gungnir into Heimdall's control stand instead of using Heimdall's sword. I'd have to watch the movie again to be sure. If that's the case you migh not need to fix the Observatory.

yea when odin cast out thor he uses gungnir to open the portal. then later loki also uses it a couple times. once is when heimdall is froze.so you know he uses gungnir there, since heimdall is holding his sword while froze.

one thing i can't figure out is who made it rain the night thor went for mjolnir. he told jane you will need this, meaning his jacket, since it was about to rain. he even looked up and heard the storm. it also made the equipment act up. so who did this? was it powerless thor? loki? or maybe heimdall? or odin? or maybe the closer thor was to mjolnir he could still get some juice for his storm? or it could have just been a normal storm, and he was just able to tell it was coming? any ideas?

Last edited:
yea when odin cast out thor he uses gungnir to open the portal. then later loki also uses it a couple times. once is when heimdall is froze.so you know he uses gungnir there, since heimdall is holding his sword while froze.

one thing i can't figure out is who made it rain the night thor went for mjolnir. he told jane you will need this, meaning his jacket, since it was about to rain. he even looked up and heard the storm. it also made the equipment act up. so who did this? was it powerless thor? loki? or maybe heimdall? or odin? or maybe the closer thor was to mjolnir he could still get some juice for his storm? or it could have just been a normal storm, and he was just able to tell it was coming? any ideas?

I think these are your best two guesses.

Yeah I'd have to agree with those myself. It just seems like the closer he was the more it would effect the weather.

The biggest plot hole for me was that just hours after Odin told him he was a a Frost Giant, Loki had complete mastery of his freezing powers.

He was using the casket, not freezing powers.

Yeah Mystery, Loki had the Casket of Ancient Winters hidden as he approached Heimdall. Keep in mind Loki figured out how to hide things from Heimdall via magic.

i can sometimes smell when it's gonna rain, maybe thor can just tell since that's his thing.

I don't know if it's considered a "plot hole" but it was kind of a WTF moment...

The Odin Sleep only lasted for about 24 to 36 hours. Maybe that's normal, but they even mentioned how "It's different this time. He's put it off for so long." So they made a big deal about it and then it only lasted a day. :dry:

Yea, actually, was there any real plot holes in this movie?

Yes. The one that has jumped out for me was Odin was riding Sleipnir during his Jotunheim rescue effort, then when the Asgardians reappeared back at the observatory, he immediately walks to the Bifrost key pedestal and pulls out the sword - no time to walk the horse out... But where'd the horse go? :woot:

I don't know if it's considered a "plot hole" but it was kind of a WTF moment...

The Odin Sleep only lasted for about 24 to 36 hours. Maybe that's normal, but they even mentioned how "It's different this time. He's put it off for so long." So they made a big deal about it and then it only lasted a day. :dry:

I guess. But I put that down to the fact that Odin sees and hears everything that is still going on whilst asleep. He sensed Thor was breaking the Bifrost and his sons were fighting, so he forced himself to wake up or somethiing.

Yes. The one that has jumped out for me was Odin was riding Sleipnir during his Jotunheim rescue effort, then when the Asgardians reappeared back at the observatory, he immediately walks to the Bifrost key pedestal and pulls out the sword - no time to walk the horse out... But where'd the horse go? :woot:

Aha! Good one! Yea, that was a bit strange.

Well, this IS Odin after all. He could've just magic'd it away I guess. Still that's more in line with a movie goof(not written into the script) than a true plot hole(which IS in the writing).

or maybe the closer thor was to mjolnir he could still get some juice for his storm? or it could have just been a normal storm, and he was just able to tell it was coming? any ideas?

I think just being the "god" of thunder he has a connection with the elements and just sensed and knew. I doubt he caused it as all his power was stripped.

Yeah, that was the briefest Odin Sleep ever. That was an Odin Nap...If they were going to have him wake early they could have least made him look weaken still.

I'm guessing Sleipnir just ran off. He's twice as fast as the average horse ;)

I took it as he woke up early because of the bridge being destroyed like the power of it being destroyed woke him up. My only question is how exactly did Jane know to be out in the desert, I know they tried to explain it about the clouds and what not but when Thor comes to Earth it wasn't planned or anything.

The Bifrost thing gets destroyed but I don't understand how Earth would be lost to them or why Thor couldn't get back. I'm pretty sure that Mjolnir can open portals thru space and time.

Forget that because it makes Thor too powerful. Every situation that occurs from there on out viewers would be asking... "why doesn't he just open a portal?" It's much easier then that... when Loki confronts Heimdall on the bridge before he freezes him he states that he has been traveling between the worlds. Loki goes on to mention that there are secret pathways even Heimdall didn't know about. Problem solved, maybe they're unstable portals and Thor could only travel to earth one way? That would also solve the problem of why Thor wouldn't call down an Asgardian army if earth was faced with a Skrull invasion in Avengers.

Maybe the horse was a creation of the Odin Force and wasn't a real horse at all? It just made him look imposing so he used the illusion to intimidate the Frost Giants. The same way Loki used magic during his fights.

I saw no glaring plot holes at all.

(One thing I did wonder about is what happened to the Destroyer body? It fell to earth after Thor jammed his hammer in to its head to cause the backfire. They didn't carry it back with them. I'm betting SHIELD scooped it up and has it on ice.)

Last edited:
(One thing I did wonder about is what happened to the Destroyer body? It fell to earth after Thor jammed his hammer in to its head to cause the backfire. They didn't carry it back with them. I'm betting SHIELD scooped it up and has it on ice.)

So you're saying SHIELD is Sector 7??? Lol Naaaa.....I think it just did a *poof* magic vanish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"