Spotted this in the IMDB Thor forum

blamerandy

Lion of Astoria
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it was the dumbest idea ive ever read in my life
IronMan - Rich billionaire invents highly advance scientific supersuit
The Incredible Hulk - Mutated by radioactivity
Captain America - Genetically altered, super soldier

Thor - Norse God sent down to Earth from Asgard?

So you have 3 science based and 'realistic' superheroes and a god viking warrior? I think they might have to change Thor's backstory quite a bit to fit into the Avengers. However, then fanboys will get pissed and it would fail. We seem to have a paradox here.

Random Norse God Viking Warrior fighting alongside 3 sciencey superheroes. (fan boys happy, normal viewers think its ******ed)
OR
Scientific based hero that may control weather that has a fascination with greek mythology and fights as Thor. (Fanboys pissed, normal viewers happy)

What ever shall we do??

Personally, i think it should be left ambigous. Let Donald Blake have two jobs. Weather Scientist and College Professor of Greek Mythology. Tony Stark asks for help with a weather predicter/changer machine and (you guessed it) theres a horrible accident and Donald Blake inherits weather controlling powers and a split personality of Donald Blake and Thor (his love of Greek Myhtology uncontrollably releases itself and he develops a second personality that believes itself to be Thor). However, several dream sequences and unexplainable flashbacks plus the storm that just happend to cause his accident may lead the fanboy viewer to belive Thro caused the accident and entered Earth through Blake's body. The non-fanboy would just believe it to be a split personality or psychosis. Therefore it would be ambiguous.

These are the types of ideas that high paid movie studio executives used to come up with

i doubt they would do something like that. The marvel studios films so far have been pretty faithful to the source materials. And from what we know about thor so far its going to be more asgard stuff then earth/donald blake stuff.

yeah, marvel and even the studios themselves have all definitely come a long way in the past couple years. i have a lot more faith

yea we have only heard some good things from kevin freige/and thor's director same with cap director about those characters. Sure some things will be changed for modern takes on characters. But we know they are not going to just monkey around with things. They know if you stick more closely to source materials the fans will be happy. and then if you make an enjoyable film the non fans will get on board too. But for a sucessful comic guy these days you need to stick to the source materials more. Look at the films that strayed to much from its sources turned out.

He's not entirely wrong though. Most people are idiots and wouldn't know a good idea if it punched them in the face (success of Transformers 2 proves this).

In fact, I thought most of you wanted that Thor be considered crazy by the Avengers because GODS DO NOT EXIST but the viewer would know that he really is the legendary Norse God.

I say keep the fanboys happy. We'll get the people in the seats through good word of mouth.

The Ultimates had the perfect solution. He says he's the Norse God Thor, everyone else says he's crazy. Leave it up to the viewer to decide which (those who've seen the Thor movie will know he's really Thor).

Greek Mythology? We are talking about Thor, not Wonder Woman!

i just got irked when he came up with all this crap about him being a weather man and getting caught in a lightning storm and having some kind of weird amnesia and tossing in a 'freak scientific accident that gives him his powers!!!' honest to god, id much rather hear the craziest absurd backstory about Norse mythology than one more stupid freak scientific accident explanation.

He's not entirely wrong though. Most people are idiots and wouldn't know a good idea if it punched them in the face (success of Transformers 2 proves this).

In fact, I thought most of you wanted that Thor be considered crazy by the Avengers because GODS DO NOT EXIST but the viewer would know that he really is the legendary Norse God.

I say keep the fanboys happy. We'll get the people in the seats through good word of mouth.
totally

Anybody who thinks Thor is Greek has no right whatsoever to have an opinion on this movie...

Personally, i think it should be left ambigous. Let Donald Blake have two jobs. Weather Scientist and College Professor of Greek Mythology. Tony Stark asks for help with a weather predicter/changer machine and (you guessed it) theres a horrible accident and Donald Blake inherits weather controlling powers and a split personality of Donald Blake and Thor (his love of Greek Myhtology uncontrollably releases itself and he develops a second personality that believes itself to be Thor). However, several dream sequences and unexplainable flashbacks plus the storm that just happend to cause his accident may lead the fanboy viewer to belive Thro caused the accident and entered Earth through Blake's body. The non-fanboy would just believe it to be a split personality or psychosis. Therefore it would be ambiguous.

:huh: :pal: :lmao: :hehe: :dry: :angry: :cmad: :wall: :argh:...
IDIOT!! :doh:...
LAY OFF THE WEED MAN!!

OK I simmered down a bit. That idea made me laugh for like 40 secs non-stop. I don't think anything ever made me laugh that hard on Hype. I hope he stays on IMDB cause if he comes here with that nonsense he'll most likely be treated like a human pinata.

...Weather Scientist..... :facepalm:

Last edited:
The Ultimates had the perfect solution. He says he's the Norse God Thor, everyone else says he's crazy. Leave it up to the viewer to decide which (those who've seen the Thor movie will know he's really Thor).
The mainstream comics did that long before The Ultimates. They just didn't make a big deal of it. Thor proved himself as a major superhero, so people respected him but no one really believed he was the Norse god of thunder.

I might get flamed, but I see his point. Everyone has a non-magical background, a norse god would be out of place, and I think unless you see Iron man, hulk, captain america go pretty far out there, I don't know how well they'll fit in the same universe, it works in comics quite easily, because hey its comics, and there has been some far fetched stuff done in them. However movies can be a very touchy subject, regardless I do hope they make him a Norse god, but I hope they start to introduce a more magical presence in the rest of the solo films. (ironman/cap)...either way is possible, I just hope they start meshing all the worlds together a little bit in advance perhaps.

I don't think it'll be a problem. People will know the tone and nature of Thor's character from his movie, anyway. Besides which, Thor isn't really an overtly magical character outside of his nature and his references to himself as a god. He hits people with a giant hammer and strikes them with lightning. Pretty easy for the average moviegoer to understand him as the super-powerful tank of the group. The rest is just window-dressing as far as an Avengers movie goes, at least.

Yeah...just use the Ultimates solution. That way also the absurdity of it is winked at to the audience.

I would not put much stock in that at all. I have three nephews that are actors and random people post all kinds of stupid crap on their IMDB pages all the time. It is not like you need special access or have to be a Hollywood insider to post stuff there. It is just another MB with random people (many with questionable intelligence) posting.

yea everyone knows imdb is like wikipedia that its user edited.

IMDB will lock articles if vandalism is a big enough problem though, and enough people report it. Me and some other users actually got the page for the Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie locked because this dumb kid kept vandalizing it to promote his fan project (which he deluded himself into thinking would be made official).

yeah, marvel and even the studios themselves have all definitely come a long way in the past couple years. i have a lot more faith

Not Fox.
"Hey there's this character called Deadpool. He a comedic character, uses guns & swords & teleports by using a device on his belt"

Fox: "Take away the guns, sow his mouth shut, put the swords in his arms, make the teleportation natural & give him laser eyes.... There we go! This as true to the comics as anything!"

Yeah, that is a travesty as far as I was concerned too. One of the reasons I couldn't enjoy XO:Wolverine. I tried though. Now I'm wondering how much they will screw him up for his spin-off.

I'm actually more worried about Marvel morphing things to fit the movie in the comics like they did with Iron Man. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"