Pluto: Demoted

Iceman/Psylocke said:
Hippie_Hunter you always seem to be at the fore of planetary knowledge. :up:

Is it work related or just an interest?

I'm only in college so it is just a really big interest that I have had for many, many years. Ever since I was a little kid.

Seriously, the definition for planet is really flawed. I dont think this is official, maybe they should add more sub-categories to planets

i heard about this earlier, but thought it was just something they're trying to do, did they actually go through with it?

damn.. pluto, you will be missed.

Asteroid-Man said:
THAT IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NASA said on the news that now there are OFFICIALY 12 planets. 3 were just discovered. And there is now a new definition for "planet" it must be round and in rotation of the sun. Thats it.

First of all, it wasn't NASA, it's the IAU, the International Astronomical Union. NASA is the space exploration department of the United States. The IAU is an international body that sets forth the guidelines about the science of astronomy. Second, the 12 planet solar system was only a proposal. One that just got shot down.

The current definition states this:

A "planet" (1) is a celestial body that:
(a) is in orbit around the Sun
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes ahydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape
(c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

A "dwarf planet" (2) is a celestial body that:
(a) is in orbit around the Sun
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape,
(c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit
(d) is not a satellite.

All other objects (3) orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".

Pluto is a "dwarf planet" by the above definition and is recognized as the prototype of a new category of Trans-Neptunian objects.

1. The eight planets are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
  2. An IAU process will be established to assign borderline objects into either dwarf planet and other categories.
  3. These currently include most of the Solar System asteroids, most Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs), comets, and other small bodies.

hippie_hunter said:
I'm only in college so it is just a really big interest that I have had for many, many years. Ever since I was a little kid.
:up:

It's good to have knowledge of interesting subjects like this.

Mr. Credible said:
i heard about this earlier, but thought it was just something they're trying to do, did they actually go through with it?

damn.. pluto, you will be missed.

Yes, they went through with it.

FOR THE RECORD, PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET.

Kmack said:
But I liked Pluto:(

You know from what I heard, Pluto didn't like you. And he called your mother a rather filthy derogatory name.

hippie_hunter said:
You know from what I heard, Pluto didn't like you. And he called your mother a rather filthy derogatory name.
My mom is dead jerk!
angry.gif

Sentinel X said:
I have an excellent idea for the new definition of a planet....how about anything that has an atmosphere, its simple.

Yeah ummm have you heard of the word slang??:confused::rolleyes:
Yep, but as far as I know the word "Gay" means happy (mood) or homosexual. Maybe it's because I'm not a homophobe? :confused:

Batattack said:
Yep, but as far as I know the word "Gay" means happy (mood) or homosexual. Maybe it's because I'm not a homophobe? :confused:
Maybe because you have problems with your sexuality...:confused: no seriously, studies have proven, people who are uncomfortable with their problems are fairly uncomfortable when it is mentioned in the slightest way.
I am in no way a homophobe, and I dont see what was the point of that implication by using "gay" as a slang word :confused:

Sentinel X said:
Maybe because you have problems with your sexuality...:confused: no seriously, studies have proven, people who are uncomfortable with their problems are fairly uncomfortable when it is mentioned in the slightest way.
I am in no way a homophobe, and I dont see what was the point of that implication by using "gay" as a slang word :confused:
let's use "nig..." as a slang then! YAAAY!!!!:D

from the Hype FAQ

Harassment is defined in Webster’s dictionary as ‘to annoy persistently’ and includes name-calling, instigation of others, and bigoted remarks. This includes, but is not limited to, derogatory remarks about another's race, gender, religion, sexuality, or country of origin.

so yeah.. don't use Gay as a derogatory remark

I could care less about astronomy to be honest. I like to look at all the pretty pictures, I can point out all the major constalations ect, but I think this is just splitting hairs over a defenition.

To me the defenition of a planet should be: "A large sphereical object that orbits around the sun."

whereas the defentition of a moon should be: "A large sphereical object that orbits around a plant.

Sure, Pluto does have an oblong orbit, but it does orbit around the sun. It is sphereical, so it meets up with the defenition of what a planet should be. I don't really know why this declassifing of Pluto as a planet nerves me, but it does. I guess it's just the whole astronomers deciding the classification of things because they think they can.

Matt said:
;)

But seriously....who gives a ****? Last I checked, we are all out of grade school and will never have to memorize the planets again. This is right up there with K-Fed and Britney's marriage and local high school football on the list of things I don't give two ****s about. Because in all actuallity I'm a huge doofus.

Oh look it's Matt and his witty reparte again. I think it's funny to alter quotes. It was real funny when I done it in 2003.

Oh, BTW I bet it will be really funny when Jesus throws you into the Lake of Fire for taking his name in vain. (WITH HUGE AMOUNTS OF SARCASM ADDED TO THE----------->;), If you can, picture it with bucked teeth.:up: )

First they were talking about adding 3 new planets, now we are down one?
Like the guy said in the article, it's a farce and will not stand.

So will pluto be forgotten in the next generation of kids going to school? We're so special :mad: :up:

Pluto was weak. Didn't have what it takes to make it as a planet in a post 9/11 world.:down

Corinthian™ said:
let's use "nig..." as a slang then! YAAAY!!!!:D

from the Hype FAQ

Harassment is defined in Webster’s dictionary as ‘to annoy persistently’ and includes name-calling, instigation of others, and bigoted remarks. This includes, but is not limited to, derogatory remarks about another's race, gender, religion, sexuality, or country of origin.

so yeah.. don't use Gay as a derogatory remark
Learn the definition of derogatory okay?...Im so sorry for saying the word "gay" when referring to planets, that must of hurt A LOT of peoples feelings!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Oh and Im also sorry for mentioning that someone might be gay, because it is SUCH a bad thing to be gay, how insulting!! oh noes!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"