"Political Correctness"

Axl Van Sixx

Comrade
Reaction score
This is one of the favoured bogeymen of the right, who like to blame a great deal of our problems on "political correctness". My favourite is when right-wing pundits argue that we could prevent terrorism and crime through racial profiling, but because of PC liberal values we don't - and that's how the terrorists win!

I can't remember who it was, but some right-wing radio host was complaining about how political correctness stops people from making racist jokes at work. Rather than him being a jerk, the problem is everyone else who thinks he's a jerk for making a racist joke. They're just too "PC".

So what are your thoughts on the conservative depiction of political correctness? Do you, like them, feel that people's thoughts are being policed? Or is this just common decency for a more enlightened age?

When I do violate political correctness, its usually in the interest of being as unbelievably crass as I possibly can. I never do that on here, though.

There is a difference between being for racism and being against political correctness gone mad tho.

You see stories of pubs changing the name of a spotted dick, to a spotted richard, and it's taking it too far :funny:

I don't believe those 'political correctness gone mad" stories are true. The media knows people get crazy about that stuff.

I don't believe for one second any sort of official would say force someone not to have a national flag on their property or ban the word christmas.

Legally I don't think anyone can enforce that kind of stuff.

Political correctness can go too far, like this one town that didn't want to say "Hello" because it had the word "Hell" in it, so they said "Heaven-o".

That's just ridiculous and the work of a bunch of uptight prudes with too much time on their hands.

But a lot of people who complain about political correctness sound to me like they're just whining that they can't bash gays anytime they want to, or tell racist or anti-Semitic jokes.

Or use non-racial terms like "*****rdly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm

See, even the Hype censors have banned this word for "miserly," simply because it sounds and is spelled suspiciously like another word (containing an "a" where the "e" in that racial term is).

Or go to Youtube and watch one of the Dean Martin celebrity roasts from the 70s. There's enough in a single 5-minute clip to make a white liberal eaten up with guilt feel outraged and offended on behalf of Jews, blacks, etc., for the next 8-12 months. Those are hilarious . . . and would never make it on TV today.

Political correctness can go too far, like this one town that didn't want to say "Hello" because it had the word "Hell" in it, so they said "Heaven-o".

That's just ridiculous and the work of a bunch of uptight prudes with too much time on their hands.

But a lot of people who complain about political correctness sound to me like they're just whining that they can't bash gays anytime they want to, or tell racist or anti-Semitic jokes.
Well, a lot of the anti-PC feeling comes from the fact that people on the left are judgmental about religions, calling them homophobic and sexist, without a thought for cultural respect.
Edit: there also seems to be a double standard in what's PC and what's not. For example,I have heard from a friend, that somebody went on air on a major talk show promoting a book about how Orthodox Jews (my religion) abuse their children and are all male chauvinist pigs. (don't quote me on the details though-I only heard it second hand, but I DO trust my friend a lot.)
If this book had been about how all Muslims are terrorists, they never would've aired it.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with PCness IMO is that it has made everyone too damn wimpy. Out of fear of offending people, people have become too afraid of opening their minds. And it's affected our art such as a television show such as All in the Family would be crucified in today's day and age.

Most normal people don't entirely buy the Political Correctness. Except for hardcore leftwing neo-puritans. Many people only abide by it because of the immediate consequences (i.e. job on line). Ergo, self-preservation from de facto censorship.

This is one of the favoured bogeymen of the right, who like to blame a great deal of our problems on "political correctness". My favourite is when right-wing pundits argue that we could prevent terrorism and crime through racial profiling, but because of PC liberal values we don't - and that's how the terrorists win!

I can't remember who it was, but some right-wing radio host was complaining about how political correctness stops people from making racist jokes at work. Rather than him being a jerk, the problem is everyone else who thinks he's a jerk for making a racist joke. They're just too "PC".

So what are your thoughts on the conservative depiction of political correctness? Do you, like them, feel that people's thoughts are being policed? Or is this just common decency for a more enlightened age?

PC is one of the worst things to come along in a very, very long time. Mainly because people are stupid and take it to the extreme in enforcing it.

I hate the term politically correct, it's just a silly buzz word.

The fact of the matter is that it is stupid that shows like All in the Family can't exist today (I'm black and I think that it was a great show). That type of sensitivity in dumb and shouldn't exist. And yes we have become to sensitive about certain things but it is not PC to not want to hear racist jokes about you when you are at work or at school.

Sometimes people use the term because they don't want people to complain about their use hateful words and that is just as harmful as people who are offended about everything.

I think a problem is, political incorrectness has become as annoying political correctness. Some people have used political incorrectness to say clever things and deliver important messages, but some people just say racist things and justify it by saying they are being politically incorrect. Political incorrectness is not in itself, clever or insightful.

Here's an example of someone who uses political incorrectness to justify remarks that are just blatant racism.

http://ottawa.openfile.ca/blog/cura...ally-incorrect-larry-obriens-special-strength

Last edited:
Think a problem is, political incorrectness has become as annoying political correctness. Some people have used political incorrectness to say clever things and deliver important messages, but some people just say racist things and justify by saying they are being politically incorrect. Political incorrectness is not in itself, clever or insightful.

Here's an example of someone who uses political incorrectness to justify remarks that are just blatant racism.

http://ottawa.openfile.ca/blog/cura...ally-incorrect-larry-obriens-special-strength
That's the same kinda stuff that Rush Limbaugh says and then when criticized he says that he was only joking.

I hate it when guys like Larry O'Brien or Rush Limbaugh say blatantly racist things and then just brush it off by saying they were being "politically incorrect." Please.

It seems most people here agree that, like a lot of things, political correctness is good in moderation. Things like saying "Heaven-O" are absolutely ridiculous and over-the-top. But I don't think discouraging obvious ethnic slurs, or being against racial profiling, are examples of political correctness gone wild, as the right likes to claim. That's just common decency.

If you're gonna be politically incorrect, do it in private. But everyone's definition is different-for example, last semester some students that had the same teaching assistant as I did in another course were saying that he was incompetent. I said in front of everyone, "I ****ing hated that guy. He sucked at his job, he couldn't keep anyone under control, and he needed to be a man and grow some cajones." And people looked at me like I had just murdered someone. But I didn't say anything racist, homophobic, or misogynistic by any means-I cursed and said that the guy sucked, but who really cares?

Okay, if political correctness means not using ethnic slurs then yes, I'm in favor of it. But then you have ridiculousness like calling a "Christmas tree" a "holiday tree".

Okay, if political correctness means not using ethnic slurs then yes, I'm in favor of it. But then you have ridiculousness like calling a "Christmas tree" a "holiday tree".

That is ridiculous. I don't think members of other religions are going to be offended by calling a spade a spade, or in this case, calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

But this is a minor example of political correctness gone overboard and it certainly doesn't justify Fox News spending every December screaming about a "War on Christmas".

That is ridiculous. I don't think members of other religions are going to be offended by calling a spade a spade, or in this case, calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

But this is a minor example of political correctness gone overboard and it certainly doesn't justify Fox News spending every December screaming about a "War on Christmas".
The Christmas Tree is really a pagan symbol anyway.

The Christmas Tree is really a pagan symbol anyway.

Ironically if Fox wants to attack people who want to stop Xmas, they would look into our past and see the Puritans wanted to rid us of the holiday in the 17th century. Christmas wasn't considered a federal holiday till 1870

Jesus was crucified on a Christmas Tree! :D

What some people call Political Correctness, I call respect. If you don't respect someone then it's probably best to keep quiet about it. Unless there is a confrontation and then it's between the two parties.

There is of course a few people who need not worry about it at all. In ancient times the King called that person a "Fool".

And for the record... I hate the "N-Word". Not ******. "N-Word". It reminds me of when I used to get in trouble with my dad for saying "dang".

"That sounds too close to 'damn'." SMACK

:cap: :cap: :cap:

It really boils down to people with "no sense of humor", and "lack of discernment".

Its not really hard to tell the people who are racist or not. Not "everyone" who tells racist jokes is a racist. Many are though. The fact is people are free to be racist if they want, and you are free to call them out on it or not associate with them.

Some are just un-funny, sanctimonious pricks that want everyone else to share in their sullen, miserable worldview.

And for the record... I hate the "N-Word". Not ******. "N-Word". It reminds me of when I used to get in trouble with my dad for saying "dang".

"That sounds too close to 'damn'." SMACK

:cap: :cap: :cap:

I also think that saying "the N-word" is juvenile. Everybody knows what the word is. Maintaining this forbidden veneer to it actually helps the word retain its destructive power, which I think illustrates why the influence of hip hop culture was so important in recasting a racial slur as a term of endearment among blacks.

At the same time, I think white people should avoid the word altogether, certainly ****** but also *****. It really annoys me in Pulp Fiction when Quentin Tarantino comes out and is just saying "******" constantly. It's unnecessary and doesn't advance the plot or characterization in a way that justifies his excessive use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"