Political Correctness Stories

SuBe

Voluntaryist
Reaction score
1. Santa in Austrailia is no longer allowed to say "Ho, Ho, Ho" in fear of offending women. Now, Santa are to say "Ha, ha, ha"

2. After Islamic Terrorists Mohammed Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer, Germaine Lindsay, and Hasib Hussien blew themselves up in London on a crowded bus, Killing 52 and injuring 700 in July of 2005: The BBC called them "Misguided Criminals" in order to not offend.

3. The London Daily Telegraph reported on a classified European Union Handbook that advises Government spokesmen not to link Islam and Terrorism in their Statements,banning words such as jihad and fundamentalist.

4. Philadelphia Philly Cheesesteak Restauraunt Owner to go to court over sign in front of his shop window that states ""This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING PLEASE 'SPEAK ENGLISH.'" The Philadelphia Commision on Human Relations state that Joe Vento, the Owner, "violated a city ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing on the basis of race, ethnicity or sexual orientation." Though Languague is not on this list.

5. During the last Super Bowl. The NFL refused to air a recruitment Commericial for the Border Patrol, in fear of Offending the Hispanic Community.

6. Public Schools teachers no longer allowed to use the color Red in reviewing Students work. Because "Red is a bit over-the-top in its aggression". We don't want the students to lose any of their precious "Self-Esteem".

7. Following complaints that it was racist, owners of a minor-league basketball team in Buffalo, N.Y. have changed the logo of their team, the Silverbacks, from a gorilla to some sort of panther-critter, according to the Buffalo News. Members of Buffalo's black community were said to be upset with the previous logo — a red-skinned gorilla dunking a basketball — because they said bigots sometimes use terms such as "monkey," "ape" and "gorilla" as racial slurs against blacks. The team is named after the adult male lowland gorilla. The new logo features a panther with a silver streak down its back, even though no such creature exists in the wild.

8. Mark Twain's classic novel, Huckleberry Finn, has been removed from high school reading lists at a school district in Michigan following complaints from parents about the book's language and portrayal of slavery in early America, according to the Detroit News. Students at high schools in Taylor, Mich., will no longer be required to read the book after a parent complained. The complaint came from the parents of an African-American honors English student who objected to reading the book aloud in class. The News says the parent was outraged at the book's use of a certain racially charged word that begins with N. The district says it is also studying other books students are assigned to read for objectionable material.

9. Owner of "McGuire's Irish Pub" in Destin, FL was forced to remove signs infront of the Restroom for "“Lack of signage properly designating bathrooms." The Signs were up for over 30 Years and a Community Staple.
mcguires-signs.jpg

I remember reading about the Huckleberry Finn book incident and thinking how ridiculous it was.

Not really. The black people in question seem to be very over-sensitive. You can't just be offended by every mention of the n-word, regardless of its context. I think its a real shame that some people feel they have to protect their children from a good book just 'cause it has "bad" words in it.

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are two amazing books, but I can see how some people would be sensitive to some of the content. It's a shame that they've been made to feel that way, because the writing is superb.

Not really. The black people in question seem to be very over-sensitive. You can't just be offended by every mention of the n-word, regardless of its context. I think its a real shame that some people feel they have to protect their children from a good book just 'cause it has "bad" words in it.

:whatever: If that one book is so important to a parent they could go out and buy one for five bucks.

Well its the fact that they felt they had to go to the school to complain, and the school subsequently decided to take the book off the shelves...

Its a real shame for the rest of the kids.

1. Santa in Austrailia is no longer allowed to say "Ho, Ho, Ho" in fear of offending women. Now, Santa are to say "Ha, ha, ha"

that makes for a ****ing scary Santa. and a stupid solution by the way.

2. After Islamic Terrorists Mohammed Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer, Germaine Lindsay, and Hasib Hussien blew themselves up in London on a crowded bus, Killing 52 and injuring 700 in July of 2005: The BBC called them "Misguided Criminals" in order to not offend.

they ARE misguided criminals or rather they were ( plus, who did they think they were going to offend? terrorists? I call this story Moot!)

3. The London Daily Telegraph reported on a classified European Union Handbook that advises Government spokesmen not to link Islam and Terrorism in their Statements,banning words such as jihad and fundamentalist.

but really, when read in context
[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]The EU handbook reportedly says the term "jihad" must be avoided, because it can mean for Muslims a personal struggle to live a moral life. [/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]The EU suggested publicly last year the term "Islamic terrorism" is to be replaced by "terrorists who abusively invoke Islam."[/FONT]

seems to make sense, not only that, but in true misleading fashion, I've yet to read this London article, all I could find were right wing news sites with links to articles within themselves.

4. Philadelphia Philly Cheesesteak Restauraunt Owner to go to court over sign in front of his shop window that states ""This is AMERICA: WHEN ORDERING PLEASE 'SPEAK ENGLISH.'" The Philadelphia Commision on Human Relations state that Joe Vento, the Owner, "violated a city ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing on the basis of race, ethnicity or sexual orientation." Though Languague is not on this list.

yeah, this is stupid, this guy should be able to say what he wants and discriminate how he wants in his own private business.
I mean, it's not like discriminating based on a language targets a specific race or anything ( as I'm sure, he hasn't offered specific examples, oh wait, he did, when interviewed he referred only to the Spanish language, oh well I'm sure this wasn't racially motivated)
people are just too damned sensitive.
to be fair, the owner did say that he saw this as "tough love" but also to be fair the sign said "this is America, when ordering please speak English"
and I wonder what all the people circling the city of Tijuana would feel if when called upon to order in restaurants they were directed to a sign that said

"Esto es Mexico, cuando ordene, por favor hable Español"

I mean, I'm sure they'd be ok with it.:huh:

5. During the last Super Bowl. The NFL refused to air a recruitment Commericial for the Border Patrol, in fear of Offending the Hispanic Community.

meh, I'm more offended by Telemundo.
now that **** is offensive.

6. Public Schools teachers no longer allowed to use the color Red in reviewing Students work. Because "Red is a bit over-the-top in its aggression". We don't want the students to lose any of their precious "Self-Esteem".

that's nice and all, but this has nothing to do with "political correctness though" as self esteem is an issue of psychology and not politics.

7. Following complaints that it was racist, owners of a minor-league basketball team in Buffalo, N.Y. have changed .....blah, blah, blah!!!

they should've changed the name of the team along with the logo.

8. Mark Twain's classic novel, Huckleberry Finn, has been removed from high school reading lists at a school district in Michigan following complaints from parents about the book's language and portrayal of slavery in early America, according to the Detroit News. Students at high schools in Taylor, Mich., will no longer be required to read the book after a parent complained. The complaint came from the parents of an African-American honors English student who objected to reading the book aloud in class. The News says the parent was outraged at the book's use of a certain racially charged word that begins with N. The district says it is also studying other books students are assigned to read for objectionable material.

hahahahahaha! if it's so innocuous why do they have to refer to it as
"a certain racially charged word that begins with N" I mean, it's not like people can't read it anymore, is it dumb because students miss out on a great book?
well yes, they should be taught that this was acceptable during the time, because this way, what happens is that people forget that these situations ever happened.
but yeah, not Fahrenheit 451 just yet.
except if you take the q'ran from a library, then you are flagged.
of course, I perused the great right and left wing punditries for outrage on THIS matter but alas turned up nothing.

9. Owner of "McGuire's Irish Pub" in Destin, FL was forced to remove signs infront of the Restroom for "“Lack of signage properly designating bathrooms." The Signs were up for over 30 Years and a Community Staple.
mcguires-signs.jpg

yeah, that's pretty dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"