Comics Poll: Who was really popular 10 years ago, but not now

Sentry2k2

Civilian
Reaction score
Basically, who was the "Hot" character 10-12 years ago when the cartoon was going on and there were 20000 X-Men books, but has lost popularity now? I'm not saying in terms of fans eyes, but maybe how often they're being used? (For wrestling fans, the best way to describe this is, who was getting a major push back in the mid-ninties, but is now on the back burner?) My pick would be Gambit. Back in teh day, Gambit was the most popular X-Man second only to Wolverine. His face was pretty much on anything Marvel and X-Men related. Now, its 2006. What happened to him? With the new teams debuting, he's not on any of them. He was killed off in Ultimate X-Men. And, the biggest punch to the stomach, he has not appeared in any of the movies. What happened? Its like his popularity just diminished. What do you guys think?

So this is kind of a Gambit thread disguised as a poll then?

Gambit, Cable, Sexy-Ninja-Psylocke.

These are all creatures of the 90's.

Gambit still has his fans. Somehow he has managed to pick up a few haters too though.
Gambit hasn't been writen well in a while, so people aren't seeing the true Gambit. I'm hoping something good comes out of this hole Apocolypse arc. Some kind of a revamp for Gambit. Though, it may be a while before we see Gambit again after it.

cardslinger said:
Gambit still has his fans. Somehow he has managed to pick up a few haters too though.
Gambit hasn't been writen well in a while, so people aren't seeing the true Gambit. I'm hoping something good comes out of this hole Apocolypse arc. Some kind of a revamp for Gambit. Though, it may be a while before we see Gambit again after it.

I completely agree. He's been written awfully since a good while and needs a fixing, but he still has a good bunch of fans. If he weren't popular, how could you explain such a good number of "Where's Gambit in X1/X2/X3?" questions this board, Xverse and many more have had -or suffered- during the last six years? :p

Anyway, as all characters with rabid fans, he's got also his haters: Wolverine has haters. Cyclops has haters. It's almost a rule.

For me, Cable, Dazzler and Jubilee are the ones who have lost a lot of popularity.

Jubillee should be Marvel's new Wolverine. :o

The only one who has kept his fandom -more or less- is Chamber, and look what're doing with him. :mad:

Gambit, Cable, Omega Red, Apocalypse, Marrow, Psylocke....

most of the mutants in Marvel vs. Capcom.

I agree Gambits still popular, so are Psylocke and Cable, but they all were more popular in the 90s.

Gambit is also a lot more popular among the cartoon audience, comic fans not so much, which is why he cant carry his own series. I'm pretty sure he could have carried one 10 years ago though.

I love the mutants in Marvel vs. Capcom.:)
Well, I've only played the second one, so, if they have the same characters, yeah. My top five favorite x-men characters are all in that game.

Gambit, he was still kinda new at that time. So are Cable and Psylocke.

I remember when Longshot was huge... But I'll go with Shatterstar and Feral of X-Force fame... I still think Cable is Buff Timetravelling Magneto with a memory problem and the transmode virus... It would effectively limit the master of magnetism. A few months at the gym with Weight Gain 3000 and Psylocke/Psyblade's psychic knife in the back of his head.

Cable, Gambit, Domino, Maverick, Bishop ( :( ) Psylocke, Shatterstar, Deadpool, Archangel, Banshee, X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, Generation X

Bishops potential is sooooo underused... he can take an empty clipped gun and fire mega blasts of energy with it.. The gun's his focus. He also can "remember" when the timeline has changed... I want more Shard stories...

Deadpool is still popular now...he has a very popular book with cable and was even an unlockable in xml2...oh and he's just been introduced in ultimate spidy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"