Possible Villain Inspirations in the Burton/Schumacher Films

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
*Joker - A hybrid of Joe Chill (the man who killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the comics), the early comic book Joker (when he was a violent sociopath instead of the goofy, light relatatively non-menacing trickster that Cesar Romero portrayed), Professor Milo (chemicals expert), and Doctor Death (uses lethal gases).

*Penguin - A hybrid of the traditional Penguin (short, fat man, big nose, gravelly voice, carries around trick umbrellas, smokes cigarettes with a holder, wears a monocle and top hat, etc.) and Killer Croc (was born with inhuman, animal-like physical appearance, is a sewer/swamp rat, found refuge within the carnival sideshow inner circle, etc.). There's perhaps, also some Scarecrow in him (i.e. employs fear tatics like throwing an umbrella bomb full of a swarm of bats at the Ice Princess).

*Catwoman - The traditional Catwoman (i.e. Selina Kyle, whip, skin-tight black suit, love/hate relationship with Batman, very agile, etc.), the Reaper (a more violent, sadistic vigilante than Batman), and Ra's al Ghul (seemingly immortal with the whole "9 lives" deal).

*Two-Face - The traditional Two-Face (acid burned right side of his face, funky zuit suits, coin, was a DA before becoming a criminal, got scarred by Sal Malroni, etc.) and Tony Zucco (the man who killed Dick Grayson's parents).

*Riddler - The traditional Riddler (green spandex costume with question marks, purposely leaves complex clues behind his crimes/motives, carries around a cane, etc.) albeit, meant copy Frank Gorshin's version/interperation, Mad Hatter (schemes involve developed hardware that can control the brain and induce hypnotic states), Hugo Strange (obsessed with finding out Bruce Wayne's secret identity and ultimately, taking it for himself)

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Then were in agreeance.

Yeah right on, there were also elements of silver age (Earth-2) Catwoman in her portrayal as well.

*Joker - A hybrid of Joe Chill (the man who killed Bruce Wayne's parents in the comics), the early comic book Joker (when he was a violent sociopath instead of the goofy, light relatatively non-menacing trickster that Cesar Romero portrayed), Professor Milo (chemicals expert), and Doctor Death (uses lethal gases).

The Joker has always been brilliant in the comics. And he has also always used toxins, gases, etc. I don't think the Doctor Death and Professor Milo inspirations are valid. There's quite a bit of the late 70's, early 80's Joker to be found in BATMAN. Killing of the henchman, the use of public events to create hysteria and large "stages" for his crimes.

*Penguin - A hybrid of the traditional Penguin (short, fat man, big nose, gravelly voice, carries around trick umbrellas, smokes cigarettes with a holder, wears a monocle and top hat, etc.) and Killer Croc (was born with inhuman, animal-like physical appearance, is a sewer/swamp rat, found refuge within the carnival sideshow inner circle, etc.). There's perhaps, also some Scarecrow in him (i.e. employs fear tatics like throwing an umbrella bomb full of a swarm of bats at the Ice Princess).

Not seeing it. Comparatively, but in terms of actual inspiration? He's more or less just an angrier, less dapper version of the original Penguin.

*Catwoman - The traditional Catwoman (i.e. Selina Kyle, whip, skin-tight black suit, love/hate relationship with Batman, very agile, etc.), the Reaper (a more violent, sadistic vigilante than Batman), and Ra's al Ghul (seemingly immortal with the whole "9 lives" deal).

She's a combination of the original Selina Kyle's origin and the later (70's and 80's versions emphasis on the sexuality and troubled relationship between her and Batman. I don't think she's akin to the Reaper at all. "Killing in revenge" isn't enough to make that comparison. And the nine lives thing...that has nothing to do with Ra's Al Ghul, that's just an obvious attempt to play on the idea of cats having nine lives. Until Nolan got ahold of him, Ra's Al Ghul wasn't seemingly immortal...he WAS immortal due to the Lazarus Pits.

*Two-Face - The traditional Two-Face (acid burned right side of his face, funky zuit suits, coin, was a DA before becoming a criminal, got scarred by Sal Malroni, etc.) and Tony Zucco (the man who killed Dick Grayson's parents)

I'll buy that. There's also an element of the Two-Face who killed Jason Todd's father in him, at least in terms of his interaction with Robin and Robin's reaction to the event.

*Riddler - The traditional Riddler (green spandex costume with question marks, purposely leaves complex clues behind his crimes/motives, carries around a cane, etc.) albeit, meant copy Frank Gorshin's version/interperation, Mad Hatter (schemes involve developed hardware that can control the brain and induce hypnotic states), Hugo Strange (obsessed with finding out Bruce Wayne's secret identity and ultimately, taking it for himself)

The Mad Hatter comparison I can almost see. Hugo Strange wanted to become The Batman, not Bruce Wayne. The Riddler is just one more character painted as wanting to uncover Batman's ultimate secret. An angle that used to be done constantly in the comic books in the 40's and 50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"