Premium Movie Theater Screens Thread

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss and debate the various different premium movie theater screens around the world. Which is your favorite?

qeifkRy.png

Last edited:
I'm a little biased since I work there, but here's mine:

silver.png

Not the cheapest place to see a first run theater, but it's more convenient than the former Carmike multiplex I worked at.

The one I love going to is the Cine Capri, the size alone is impressive.

RjjSjyT.jpg

Alamo has premium-format screens? Really? Guess I need to check out that chain sometime then.

Also the list is missing Regal's RPX, which I wasn't impressed by the one time I tried it several years ago, as well as the "LieMAX" that some AMC and UA theaters tout. Genuine 70mm IMAX ftw!

I used to favor IMAX (true IMAX at Lincoln Square), but the last 2 years have been Dolby Digital at 42nd St in NYC. Though, the theater has a history with bed bugs and had an issue a few weeks ago again...

RPX is my 3rd choice.

I've had a few friends who tried the 4D shows and said it was horrible and they'll never go again.

The Dolby Cinema ones are probably the best hybrid of all the IMAX/4D ****.

I used to favor IMAX (true IMAX at Lincoln Square), but the last 2 years have been Dolby Digital at 42nd St in NYC. Though, the theater has a history with bed bugs and had an issue a few weeks ago again...

RPX is my 3rd choice.

I've had a few friends who tried the 4D shows and said it was horrible and they'll never go again.

I saw IT at the Dolby Digital on 42nd St and it was amazing. But, yeah, they've been having issues there lately. It's a shame, I used to love that theater. I know the building first opened in 1912, and I'm pretty sure that's the last time anyone cleaned a bathroom there.

We have a new Dolby Digital at the AMC closer to me in NJ, and it's great. We have tickets for The Last Jedi for opening weekend there.

I've been to the 4DX theater on 42nd St just once, for Rogue One last year. It was VERY cool, but I think it's only worth it for certain movies. First of all, the tickets are $30, so you may not want to spend that much on tickets unless you're sure the movie would be worth it. Beauty & the Beast played there earlier this year, and I can't see what a difference 4DX would make?

It's basically like one of those simulator rides like they have at Disney World, so something like Rogue One that had lots of space battles was a lot of fun. The seats moved around with the ships, they had water and smoke effects during the movie. When Darth Vader went on his rampage at the end, everyone got 'stabbed' in the back of the seat when he stabbed the guy through the door.

For me, that was awesome. For someone with back problems or motion sickness, definitely skip 4DX.

My dad wants to check it out, so we may go there to see Thor.

I just go to whatever is most convenient. I try to avoid 3D.

I saw IT at the Dolby Digital on 42nd St and it was amazing. But, yeah, they've been having issues there lately. It's a shame, I used to love that theater. I know the building first opened in 1912, and I'm pretty sure that's the last time anyone cleaned a bathroom there.

Uhh... what is this about bed bug issues? I've been going there consistently (only at the Dolby) for a year now. Never had complaints but now I'm paranoid.

We have a new Dolby Digital at the AMC closer to me in NJ, and it's great. We have tickets for The Last Jedi for opening weekend there.
AMC Garden State? Nice theater, but definitely more compact than the one in the city. If it were a closer drive I'd probably make that my personal go-to. Parking there is insane though.

Uhh... what is this about bed bug issues? I've been going there consistently (only at the Dolby) for a year now. Never had complaints but now I'm paranoid.

They had bed bug issues a few years ago, and someone reported that they got bit just last week. The theater is denying it, but...

http://gothamist.com/2017/10/12/bed_bugs_movies_nyc.php

I was hoping to go there next week for the Night of the Living Dead Rifftrax encore, but I'm not sure now.

AMC Garden State? Nice theater, but definitely more compact than the one in the city. If it were a closer drive I'd probably make that my personal go-to. Parking there is insane though.

Rockaway. It's pretty big, at least it's definitely bigger than the other theaters. Garden State is pain to get to from where I am, so I'm usually at Rockaway.

They had bed bug issues a few years ago, and someone reported that they got bit just last week. The theater is denying it, but...

I was hoping to go there next week for the Night of the Living Dead Rifftrax encore, but I'm not sure now.
Goddammit. I think I can add another tally to this issue. The last couple weeks I’ve definitely had huge itching/scratching issues, and looking at it now I’m pretty sure I’ve bed bug bites on my arm and leg. I thought it was from something else, but considering I’ve been going to Empire 25 consistently for the past few months I’m starting to think they’re the root.

Ugh. Not looking forward to my inevitable burning down of my bedroom.

Time to find a new theater…

Goddammit. I think I can add another tally to this issue. The last couple weeks I’ve definitely had huge itching/scratching issues, and looking at it now I’m pretty sure I’ve bed bug bites on my arm and leg. I thought it was from something else, but considering I’ve been going to Empire 25 consistently for the past few months I’m starting to think they’re the root.

OK, well then I'm definitely not chancing the Rifftrax show there next week. (although I'm still going to another theater to see it)

Yeah, I have my Ragnarok tickets for the Dolby there, so I'm hoping the issue is dealt with by then. The incident was reported in one of the regular theaters where Jeepers Creepers 3 was playing, so hopefully it didn't spread. The last known issue was back in 2015.

I did see a bedbug crawling on the wall of a 4 train 2 weeks ago too...

Marcus Cinema UltraScreen DLX with heated dreamloungers. $5 matinee Monday - Friday. Can't beat it.

43-ultrascreen-1jpg.jpg

Has anyone here tried ScreenX? I just got an invite today regarding Black Panther in this format.

Like does it give you more of the image you wouldn't get in conventional theaters, or is it just stretched out onto the extra screens?

Based on that video, it looks interesting, but having the action on two adjacent screens seems a little jarring.

IMHO, nothing special about 4DX. It's not that immersive. I saw MI5 in the format and it didn't feel that especially extra better. I prefer Dolby Cinema format with the really nice picture and sound and reclining seats. Either that or genuine IMAX, preferably with films that were shot using IMAX cameras.

IMHO it's a waste of money. For anyone who has ever tried Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Shrek 4D, it's similar to that with less effects. After a while, the movement effects aren't that noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"