Prices!!!

Lunar_Wolf

WTF face
Reaction score
I'm starting my own photography business soon. The business is photographing(Nikon D50) and Filming(Pro cam-Panasonic MD1000) any event such as weddings, birthdays, sporting events etc

Also, I shall be setting up a website soon, so I can sell my photographs off of it

Problem is, I really don't know how much I should charge for filming these events. Once the filming is done, I'll be editing it myself. So how much do you think I should charge?

Not really sure how much I should charge for the photographs too.

Any tips from photographers would be helpful or anyone with knowledge of a business.

I'll bet some kind of photography message boards would prove more fruitful.

I'm starting my own photography business soon. The business is photographing(Nikon D50) and Filming(Pro cam-Panasonic MD1000) any event such as weddings, birthdays, sporting events etc

Also, I shall be setting up a website soon, so I can sell my photographs off of it

Problem is, I really don't know how much I should charge for filming these events. Once the filming is done, I'll be editing it myself. So how much do you think I should charge?

Not really sure how much I should charge for the photographs too.

Any tips from photographers would be helpful or anyone with knowledge of a business.
How about asking people in real life, like real photographers for their thoughts and experiences?

Best thing todo is get a price list off someone who does it already

it was like 300 bucks for pics and a video of my wedding in Vegas.. so if you're more personal.. i would suggest more

it was like 300 bucks for pics and a video of my wedding in Vegas.. so if you're more personal.. i would suggest more

Thats not a bad deal you got.

YES"!!!!

How about asking people in real life, like real photographers for their thoughts and experiences?
I'm going to do that tomorrow. Just wanted to know peoples general thoughts on prices. Some photographers hate being asked it though due to competition. They think you will take they're price list and lower it.
I'll bet some kind of photography message boards would prove more fruitful.
I was going to sign up to one but I was hoping to find someone who does photography here.

Some suggestions. I'm not a photographer, but I have dealt with a few. This is an average.
Sporting events- $55 first 3 hours/ $20 add. hours
Weddings- $550 minimum base.
B-days- $300 minimum base
Create different packages for all of them and price accordingly.

Some suggestions. I'm not a photographer, but I have dealt with a few. This is an average.
Sporting events- $55 first 3 hours/ $20 add. hours
Weddings- $550 minimum base.
B-days- $300 minimum base
Create different packages for all of them and price accordingly.

Thanks for the tips. I will definalty create packages for different events.
I'm also doing video for events and editing it myself.
So if video is included in the package, the price will be a lot more.

Got my site up finally.
www.photographyandvideo.tk

your photos on the site you have are nice, but you should edit them a little better more contrast, and also level out the pictures so the background is level. such as this pic

prewview%201.jpg

its beautiful but level it out, you can rotate and crop it in any program.

your photos on the site you have are nice, but you should edit them a little better more contrast, and also level out the pictures so the background is level. such as this pic

prewview%201.jpg

its beautiful but level it out, you can rotate and crop it in any program.

I'll defiantly will be editing them once any are bought.
I'll be adding my photos over time.
Going to photoshop classes at the moment also, so I learn how to level and ****.
The problem I'm having at the moment is, resizing. If I get a photo enlarged to a 10 x 8 an inch is always cut off, if I knew how to resize the photo I would get the full image.

neither of the sites will load on this compy =\

do you have a flickr?

I work for an international portrait company. We do studio photography and our full package of preprinted portraits sells for $189.95. This includes 1-10x13, 6-8x10, 6-5x7, 24-wallets, & 10-3.5x5. Now, as for what you should charge for what you are doing, it will honestly depend on the quality of your work. I talented photographer with great customer service skills and good lab to back him up, you can charge quite a bit. Around $1000/wedding. But, as someone starting out, look at what it will cost you to print the portraits, burn the CD's and most of, what your time is worth. I'd say you should be charging around $300-$500/wedding with prints being delivered by you and maybe even a CD. You can also go around to local studios and ask for price lists, then create a similar price structure. Or, if you want something less nerve racking, perhaps you could build a portfolio first by working at a reputable studio. Either way, good luck.

Looking at your photography on your site, you gotta watch your horizon line! I'm old school and believe that all of this new digital stuff has become a crutch for a lot of young photographers. Also, I have to say, those shots are pretty run of the mill. The kind of stuff a high school photo student would do. Study some Ansel Adams. Learn more about the way light and shadow work.

I work for an international portrait company. We do studio photography and our full package of preprinted portraits sells for $189.95. This includes 1-10x13, 6-8x10, 6-5x7, 24-wallets, & 10-3.5x5. Now, as for what you should charge for what you are doing, it will honestly depend on the quality of your work. I talented photographer with great customer service skills and good lab to back him up, you can charge quite a bit. Around $1000/wedding. But, as someone starting out, look at what it will cost you to print the portraits, burn the CD's and most of, what your time is worth. I'd say you should be charging around $300-$500/wedding with prints being delivered by you and maybe even a CD. You can also go around to local studios and ask for price lists, then create a similar price structure. Or, if you want something less nerve racking, perhaps you could build a portfolio first by working at a reputable studio. Either way, good luck.

Looking at your photography on your site, you gotta watch your horizon line! I'm old school and believe that all of this new digital stuff has become a crutch for a lot of young photographers. Also, I have to say, those shots are pretty run of the mill. The kind of stuff a high school photo student would do. Study some Ansel Adams. Learn more about the way light and shadow work.

I was definatly thinking that amount.
As for the line, I wantd the off beat one for the dude on the gondella.
I put learn to fix the line for the Venice.

dsc0015ao1.jpg

effectiveuseofcolour1lx9.jpg

I started expirmenting with light at the moment. I'm trying to expand myself.

I agree that digital has it's drawbacks. I find a lot of people in my class don't think about what they are taking photographs of because they can delete them right away if they don't like them. I like to sit back and think about what I'm taking, this way better photographs are produced instead of 50 bad ones.

i'm in the same position as yourself i'm trying to get a job as a photographer and thinking about selling prints online to make a bit extra but its a real pain trying to work out pricing and factors such as size and display

i'm in the same position as yourself i'm trying to get a job as a photographer and thinking about selling prints online to make a bit extra but its a real pain trying to work out pricing and factors such as size and display

That's the thing, there are so many different sizes.
Best thing to do is, if your selling your prints, is set your own price to sell them at and the bigger the size, just add a larger price to it.

As for events I won't chage a bomb at first, but once I get better asa photographer and if I start becoming popular then I will rise the prices.

i doubt you'll make any money from stock photos and such.
I barely scratch up tips for press photos at reuters and mediafax....

Set a price for the shoot, and talk to them wether they get the full copyright or just one print and low-rez images that won't make good, large prints.

If you completely sell the copyright to the images ask for more, and i recomment that you get paid/frame in that case.
Also, the video editing should be charged by the hour, just like the photo editing, or that's how i do it.
Try and get jobs ar functions for companies and such, because they will apear in the press and they need photographers from the company there (if they have a wise PR department) and those should be some good gigs. Weddings are hell, i will never do a wedding again except with a non-refundable 30% cash payment up-front to pay for my printing costs, etc because i once got the finger for the photos and i didn't see one single goddamn dime!

Remember dude, people are jerks, make sure you get yur money. :)

i doubt you'll make any money from stock photos and such.
I barely scratch up tips for press photos at reuters and mediafax....

Set a price for the shoot, and talk to them wether they get the full copyright or just one print and low-rez images that won't make good, large prints.

If you completely sell the copyright to the images ask for more, and i recomment that you get paid/frame in that case.
Also, the video editing should be charged by the hour, just like the photo editing, or that's how i do it.
Try and get jobs ar functions for companies and such, because they will apear in the press and they need photographers from the company there (if they have a wise PR department) and those should be some good gigs. Weddings are hell, i will never do a wedding again except with a non-refundable 30% cash payment up-front to pay for my printing costs, etc because i once got the finger for the photos and i didn't see one single goddamn dime!

Remember dude, people are jerks, make sure you get yur money. :)

I done a wedding during the summer. I did it for free because I just wanted the expirance(they were paying for everything like prints). I took 50 photos for them+30 black and white. They wanted more photos from me which I didn't have. So after that demand I gave them the cd and nothing more.

Also done a Conformation and photos for head managment of a cinema. Thoses were fun.

That's the thing, there are so many different sizes.
Best thing to do is, if your selling your prints, is set your own price to sell them at and the bigger the size, just add a larger price to it.

As for events I won't chage a bomb at first, but once I get better asa photographer and if I start becoming popular then I will rise the prices.

the market is also comes into question, i finished my degree in may focusing on photography, at the end of year show my work was very graphic based what i mean was it was very graphic design based it worked as a good photograph because of light, composition subject matter etc. where as a fellow classmate had been photographing macro shots of water but with an abstract twist so she was going fine art based in her work, you know the type that takes you about half an hour before you even see what it is

so the final show is going well when my tutor bring in this guy no one recognises and he starts looking around the work and stays on the abstract photos, and shouts in a crowded room

"this is real art, this is photogrpahy in its natural form, what is the artist thinking what artist they showing about the human nature and our society"

he looks around at the rest of the work and points to mine and says still shouting

" where as this is the same **** i've had forced down my throat for the past 12 years"

and he just walks out with my tutor agreeing with him. the 5 members of my class just stood in absolute shock at this, one of the girls actually stopped me from going after him

got a bit off track but what i was trying to say is there is no way you can please everyone in the market and to try to would drive an artist insane, its a sad thing to think about really

the market is also comes into question, i finished my degree in may focusing on photography, at the end of year show my work was very graphic based what i mean was it was very graphic design based it worked as a good photograph because of light, composition subject matter etc. where as a fellow classmate had been photographing macro shots of water but with an abstract twist so she was going fine art based in her work, you know the type that takes you about half an hour before you even see what it is

so the final show is going well when my tutor bring in this guy no one recognises and he starts looking around the work and stays on the abstract photos, and shouts in a crowded room

"this is real art, this is photogrpahy in its natural form, what is the artist thinking what artist they showing about the human nature and our society"

he looks around at the rest of the work and points to mine and says still shouting

" where as this is the same **** i've had forced down my throat for the past 12 years"

and he just walks out with my tutor agreeing with him. the 5 members of my class just stood in absolute shock at this, one of the girls actually stopped me from going after him

got a bit off track but what i was trying to say is there is no way you can please everyone in the market and to try to would drive an artist insane, its a sad thing to think about really

Holy ****!!! I would freaked out if some chump said that about my stuff in a public place. The worst part about that is your tutor agreeing. I can see why you would get off track after that.

One guy from second year of photography class had an amazing photo with a yellow filter put on it . Our tutor didn't seem too impressed with it, everyone else was. Where as another second year student had an ok photo, the tutor loved it. That's the thing that sucks about art, some people will love what you do, while others will find flaws and rip it apart.

thats what annoyed most of us that night the tutor kept putting our work down, a member of the college board said she was impressed to which he replys " there good but not as good as the ones upstairs" talking about a class he had nothing to do with

looking back on it now i was proud of the work i produced but i will admit i could do and have done much better but sadly it was working to a set brief which if i knew i would have had a chance to sell my work i wouldn't have agreed upon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"