Prince Valiant

C. Lee

Superherohype Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been going through a lot of old stuff I had stored away...and came across 2 books of compilations of the Sunday comic Prince Valiant by Hal Foster.

For those who don't know about the strip....it ran full page every Sunday in the newspaper, had some of the best artwork from then or now, and it was serialized (one week's story would run into the next week).

Has anyone else hear ever read any of these comics?

Yes! I enjoyed reading some of those as a kid. Unfortunately I only had two of the books myself, and I don't remember which ones they were... I'll try to see if I still have them. There's quite a lot of volumes from what I remember.

It would be fun to have the whole collection and read the whole serialized story from beginning to end.

I have Volumes 1 and 3 of the NOSTALGIA PRESS printings done in 1974 and 1978. They are hardback and large size to more represent the newspaper pages they were originally on.

The first one covers the story from Feb 13, 1937 to Jan 14, 1940 and the second book covers Jan 31, 1943 to Apr 28, 1946.

One of mine is Prince Valiant, Vol. 44: Karak the Terrible from fantagraphics books. Softback, but also large sized. Not sure where my other one is.

I think several different companies reprinted various compilations for awhile back in the 70's and 80's. You had to stick with one publisher to get any kind of continuity. If I remember right, back at the time I got mine, the second book kept selling out and I was never able to get money up when it came back out.

Prince Valiant by Harold R. Foster was always one of my favourite comic strips. The artwork was exceptional in those days when Foster was doing it but has deteriorated in the years since he passed away.

The 1954 film with Robert Wagner had one of the best sword fights ever in the movies and the music of the film was stirring.

I was interested in getting the new Fantagraphics omnibus. Anyone read that one? I liked the FCBD preview quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"