Have you ever bought a comic and ....

Phaedrus45

Avenger
Reaction score
Have you ever bought or found a comic, and then had the price plummet on it's value?

Here is my woe-story:

I went to my usual comic store that I got all my comics at in the 90's. Since I purchased so many comics and paid so much, one day the person behind the counter said, "I'll give you 50% off of any comic you want on the wall." I look at all the comics, and said, "I'll take that one." Down came this comic:

It was selling for $100.00, and I was quite happy to get it for $50.00. But, shortly after this purchase (and, I mean within a couple months), Valiant went out of business, and the price for this comic dropped drastically. I would have been lucky to sell it for ten dollars within a few months of buying it for $50.00.

I do remember the first appearance of Cable from New Mutants #87 going for a hefty sum, too, back during that time. I believe the wall had it going for about $100.00, too. That price sure has dropped. I went on ebay about a year or two ago and got the complete New Mutants run for probably 20-30 dollars, with that issue included.

Although this didn't happen to me the guy at the comic book store I used to go to told me about it: There was a guy who bought 100 copies of "The Death of Superman" comic at cover price only to have them skyrocket in price virtually overnight. Of course he was thrilled beyond belief but after DC brought that overrated boyscout back, the price dropped to well below cover price. He was devastated and everyone else got a good laugh out of it. He should have sold them when he had the chance. :venom:

Phaedrus45 said:
Have you ever bought or found a comic, and then had the price plummet on it's value?

Here is my woe-story:

I went to my usual comic store that I got all my comics at in the 90's. Since I purchased so many comics and paid so much, one day the person behind the counter said, "I'll give you 50% off of any comic you want on the wall." I look at all the comics, and said, "I'll take that one." Down came this comic:

It was selling for $100.00, and I was quite happy to get it for $50.00. But, shortly after this purchase (and, I mean within a couple months), Valiant went out of business, and the price for this comic dropped drastically. I would have been lucky to sell it for ten dollars within a few months of buying it for $50.00.

I do remember the first appearance of Cable from New Mutants #87 going for a hefty sum, too, back during that time. I believe the wall had it going for about $100.00, too. That price sure has dropped. I went on ebay about a year or two ago and got the complete New Mutants run for probably 20-30 dollars, with that issue included.

I guess it depends on what condition its in and if you want to get it graded... at a 9.6 graded it's worth about $110...Check it out...

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?comicTableID=114756

No, I haven't bought one that was more than $5.

I got The New Avengers #1 variant for 60 bucks and it went down alot. Not gona complain though, because I got alot of really good deals that make up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"