The Amazing Spider-Man Pros and Cons of the casting choices from TAS and Spider-Man 2002

Steve Sanders

Civilian
Reaction score
part one-Okay I have seen a lot of posters here complain with legitamate arguments actually about the casting choices for The Amazing Spider-Man movie.Lets start with the main three.

Aunt May-Sally Field is too young for the role.Good point.No argument there.thats obvious.I dont understand why hollywood refuses to bring back the same actors or actresses from previous adapations when doing revamps.With the Nolan Batman films that was very much understandable, but with TAS that makes no sense that they did not bring back Rosemary Harris for the role.She was Aunt May brought to life from the comics.

Capt Stacy.same thing.also a valid complaint.With these two choices I myself was scratching my head over this.Both way too young to be cast for these roles. However thats where I stop in saying they have valid arguments against the casting choices. the third and final one is rediculous.

Peter Parker-I have seen people say that Garfield is too old for the role yet I never saw those same people saying the same thing about Mcguire back then.That comment is absurd and ludicrous because if Mcguire was young enough for the part so is Garfield.He doesnt look any older than Mcguire did at that time so no more of that nonsense talk.its absurd.

They were going with more of a Ult. Spidey vibe with Aunt May that i feel works. We got the old and withering Aunt May the first time around, i don't mind a younger take on the role.

part two-Sense Raimi fans have a right to critisize the new spider-man films casting choices then so do the fans of the new film who did not like the Raimi films.I will start off by saying what I just mentioned that Rosemary Harris as Aunt May and JK Simmons as Jonah Jameson were outstanding amazing choices for their parts.

Again they brought their characters to life from the comics to the big screen.They made you think you were not reading a comicbook anymore.they made you think that is JJJ from the comics I am looking at now.That is Aunt May from the comics I am looking at now.Same with William Defoe as Norman Osborn and the actor that played Uncle Ben excellent casting choices. I wanted to praise those actors to make it perfectly clear I am being objective here and not here to bash the Raimi films.

part one-Okay I have seen a lot of posters here complain with legitamate arguments actually about the casting choices for The Amazing Spider-Man movie.Lets start with the main three.

Aunt May-Sally Field is too young for the role.Good point.No argument there.thats obvious.I dont understand why hollywood refuses to bring back the same actors or actresses from previous adapations when doing revamps.With the Nolan Batman films that was very much understandable, but with TAS that makes no sense that they did not bring back Rosemary Harris for the role.She was Aunt May brought to life from the comics.

Capt Stacy.same thing.also a valid complaint.With these two choices I myself was scratching my head over this.Both way too young to be cast for these roles. However thats where I stop in saying they have valid arguments against the casting choices. the third and final one is rediculous.

Peter Parker-I have seen people say that Garfield is too old for the role yet I never saw those same people saying the same thing about Mcguire back then.That comment is absurd and ludicrous because if Mcguire was young enough for the part so is Garfield.He doesnt look any older than Mcguire did at that time so no more of that nonsense talk.its absurd.
I don't think it's valid at all. It's completely unrealistic to cast an old man and say that his oldest daughter is 17. Going younger was absolutely necessary for George Stacy.

Okay I voiced my positive thoughts on the Raimi spider-man films now I am going to voice my negative thoughts on the Raimi spider-man films and you'll understand why later in this final post. Okay while people have their legitamate gripes about the casting choices for the new spider-man movie I got something I would like to point out as well.While those actors I mentioned were great in their roles and well cast I got to ask if you had to choose between them screwing up by making bad casting choices for a movie by making bad casting choices for the supporting roles but excellent choices for the lead roles or bad choices for the lead roles but good choices for the supporting roles,which would you prefer? Kinda confusing I know.lol

I myself like any normal person would choose the former.Sorry but Mcguire was about the worst casting choice possible for the role of Peter Parker.That guy couldnt act if if his life depended on it and he had to try and save his life.

He sounds like he doesnt want to be there in ALL his movies I have seen him in.Not just spiderman but all.How he ever got to be an actor is beyond me.he must have special connections in hollywood thats the only thing that makes any sense. Plus Kirsten DUNCE was terrible as Mary Jane acting nothing like her character in the comics.She was much more like Gwen than anything else.That falls on the director though so I blame Raimi.For someone who is suppose to be a fan of the comics I have a hard time believeing that. Garfiled is a far better, more accomplished actor than Tobey "Goober" Mcguire. Unlike Mcguire,he is versatile and flexible. Just about all my friends I talk to agree there is no comparison,that Garfield is by far a much better actor than Mcguire.

Lastly,I have seen people say-From what I have seen of the trailer i am not excited about this movie. That is absurd as well because this trailer looks far better than the trailer for the 2002 film did.I could tell from the 2002 trailer alone the movie was going to be horrible and sure enough it was.This one at least looks promising so thats a good sign.Thats it,I've said my peace.I just cant believe people could possibly not get excited over this film when at least from the trailer,it looks far more promising than that horrible 2002 version.

Last edited:
Pro - no Kirsten Dunst.

Personally, I think Emma Stone would've been a great MJ as well, since she's gorgeous as a red head. Dunst was actually okay in SM1 but she got progressively worse as the trilogy went on.

Sally Field turns 66 this year and Denis Leary will be 55. Given the ages of Peter and Gwen, I'd say they're spot on. Maybe a little too old. I mean 66 is reasonable age for his grandmother. Hell, even 55 isn't out of the grandparent territory.

I was actually shocked when I found out how old Andrew really was. He fit the teenager role a lot better than Tobey did.

Additional note: Leary's son is 22 an his daughter is 20. Field's oldest son is 43 and has kids.

Last edited:
Kirsten Dunst was horrible casting.
You can't find a hot redhead actress in the year 2000?
You had to cast a mediocre, butter face blonde with bad chicklets and dye her hair the most unnatural red I have seen on film.

I love Emma Thomas but she was obviously too old. And the clothes didn't help, she dressed like a high fashion model out of college, not a high school senior.

I am really going to miss James Franco as Harry Osborn though.

Me too! Best in the past trilogy!
He really proved himself to be a great character in Spider-Man 2. I only wish he was a more prominent villain in Spider-Man 3. They could have not used venom, and had a story with New Goblin and Sandman only.

I can't stand people who don't do their homework when posting. First off, Sally Field is 65, last time I checked that entitles you to senior discounts, AARP and Social Security payments.

Garfield is older than Maguire was when filming Spider-man 2, not to mention that Raimi moved quickly out of Highshool and into Peter being a college student. Garfield was a 28 year old high school student, and you could definitely tell he didn't look the part. And I loved him in the movie BTW, they just need to have the next film set 5 years from the events at the end of the movie.

Pro's: I get to look pretty cool cause I was the first to suggest Garfield was cast as Spidey.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=277086&page=41

I can't find the very first post but here is the closest I could find concerning it on the hype. Way back in May/June of 2008 I had submitted a casting choice/rumor that nobody heard of to DH and AICN.

Neither one of them would run my article, even though it was "under consideration" I thought DH and AICN would put it up, but in the end they decided against me and never officially posted my casting rumor scoop. They were told by all that he was an unknown and not under consideration, and that my info was wrong. :rolleyes:

Nobody at that time had heard of Garfield. Now he is our new Spidey. Pretty cool huh? :)

^Very cool, friend and what a stroke of genius. :D

To me, he is the best thing about this new film. He impressed me so much.

I always think it sounds crazy but wonder if it had an affect...

When I first suggested Garfield in 2008 I had sent an email to a scooper of my casting idea of Garfield. He said "Yeah he would be a good choice. It probably won't help but I'm gonna send your suggestion to a casting agent that's in the circle somewhat."

then he sent back an email weeks later suggesting that he would be under consideration. I didn't know if he was blowing smoke, but figured I would post the rumor anyways. Although they didn't run the story, knowing how things went down...

It puts in the back of my head "Damn if I got him cast... Wish I could have got paid for it"

:D lol

Pros - Sally Field. Her performance in the movie was her usual performance in Brothers & Sisters and I loved it.

The only con I saw was Sally Field. She was good but I couldn't see Aunt May. All the rest were better in ASM. And yes, that includes Uncle Ben.

Yeah Sally May is not young. She looks young yeah but she isn't young at all. like Tony said, she's old enough to be on AARP..hell, she's around the age of my grandmother so no, her being too young is not a valid criticism at all.

The only con I saw was Sally Field. She was good but I couldn't see Aunt May. All the rest were better in ASM. And yes, that includes Uncle Ben.
I kind of agree with this but I didnt have too much of a problem with Fields

Sorry but I preferred Cliff Robertson. Both are great actors, but Cliff is one of those actors that exudes decency and integrity without having to say anyting. His performance was nuanced, but my favorite exchange in the first one was where he says "I know I'm not your father" and Peter throws it back in his face, and Ben compassionately just let's him go. I liked Martin Sheen, but his performance was too forced. Speaking of which I wonder if he ever had that conversation about responsibility with Charlie that he did with Peter......apparently not.

I think Sally Field was an excellent choice, just because in Ultimate Spider-Man, Aunt may is much younger.

Once again... really miss James Franco as Harry. J.K. Simmons as Jameson. Rosemary Harris as Aunt May. Heck, I am even going to miss Hoffman.

In their respective roles, I think the entire cast of this film were a notch above their Raimi counterparts...in the end they're all interpretations and I preferred these interpretations better....especially Uncle Ben...Sheen was definitely given more time to amp up the role as opposed to Robertson. However, going into the next film, I can't see how they'll find anyone who will be better than J.K. Simmons as JJJ (if they introduce the character). I can see how people can't really see Sally as Aunt May, but I loved her interpretation and I loved seeing a non-frail, smartass, and yet troubled and concerned Aunt May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"