PS3: 10th Most Overrated Product of All Time

imdaly

- Part 12
Reaction score
Those two-faced bastards over at PC Magazine -- who just last month rated the PS3 over the Wii as the new console to get -- have published a Top 10 list of the "Most Overrated Products of All Time!"

Rounding out the top 10 is our very own PS3. We think the PS3 is a bit to young to join any "all time" lists just yet, but the list does have merit for its entertainment value. Here's the complete list of losers:
  1. Any version of MS Windows after Windows 95
  2. :CueCat
  3. Lotus 1-2-3
  4. AOL
  5. Apple iPod shuffle
  6. Microsoft Bob
  7. Google Video
  8. Bose QuietComfort 2 Headphones
  9. Microsoft PowerPoint
  10. Sony PlayStation 3
You can see it all in print by picking up the Febrary 6th edition of the magazine.

Source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/01/18/ps3-named-among-most-overrated-products-of-all-time/

Eek. Well...at least the PS3 isn't as bad as Microsoft Bob...:woot:

seems a bit premature, only been out two months and the big games don't start flowing till March

1. It's a little early to call the Playstation 3 overrated.

2. Microsoft PowerPoint kicks ass.

3. Google Video always sucked, Google practically admitted to that when they bought YouTube.

4. AOL was awesome, it's a damn shame they went too late into broadband.

Lol, that's why I don't listen to video game mags anymore. They rated PS3 over Wii, then the next month say it's the 10th most overrated product of all time? Sounds to me like they sway with the internet forum opinions.

IMO if they say it's overrated, then they have to put a regular Blu-ray player first as the PS3 does what it does for $400 less and plays games, connects to the net (for free), and various other things.

Watch tho, if PS3 sales pick up or something they'll be all over Sony like they never put it down.

Also when was AOL really hyped up enough to be overrated? Most ppl seemed to hate it, and when it came out with that "hyper speed" I laughed (downgrading video quality on webpages so less had to load to make it seem faster for xtra cash each month when you can just turn images off :) ).

I would put Sega 32x on that list first tho.

I would also put Sega's Nomad on the underrated list for doing something that took Nintendo 10+ more years to do with the GBA. Even if the Nomad was a battery guzzler.

Lol, that's why I don't listen to video game mags anymore. They rated PS3 over Wii, then the next month say it's the 10th most overrated product of all time? Sounds to me like they sway with the internet forum opinions.

IMO if they say it's overrated, then they have to put a regular Blu-ray player first as the PS3 does what it does for $400 less and plays games, connects to the net (for free), and various other things.

Watch tho, if PS3 sales pick up or something they'll be all over Sony like they never put it down.

I think you're mistaking "overrated" with "better". On its own, the PS3 is, in their opinion, a better system than the Wii. But the PS3 is in no way worthy of all the hype it got. It also has nothing to do with how much it costs.

"Overrated" means "not worth all the hype", not "worse than its competition".

Ridiculous.

1. PS3 has not exactly received endless praise since its release. Even fans and critics think the launch was disappointing. As of yet, it's not high enough rated to be 'overrated'.

2. We're only a couple of months in. The PS3 has plenty of time to prove its worth.

Man, all of a sudden, these people come in (the first few replies) and are like,

"whateve this is dumb"

"stoopid lolz"

:whatever:

Lol, that's why I don't listen to video game mags anymore. They rated PS3 over Wii,

By "they", you do of course mean one or two, since many also rated Wii over PS3, at least equal amounts.

Would you rather listen to non-video game mags? Say, "Time Magazine", that tiny publication which rated PS3 one of the biggest mistakes of 2006?

The tide has turned against Sony- it's early days yet, they can easily make a comeback, but no matter what happens now, the reality is that at launch, Sony got owned pure and simple.

^

The launch was fumbled. Many mistakes were made, but decent numbers were still put out, and should PS3 become a huge success like its prequels, no one will care that the launch was botched.

Funny thing is ppl's memories become short every time a new system launches. The PS2 was being bashed before it came out too. I remember clearly magazines saying it's launch was horrible, and some saying it didn't need a DVD player in it as DVD players were new at that point in time too. The PS2 launched with games like 'The Bouncer' lol. Heck when the PS2 came out it was a case of few units to go around with high demand. Ppl were complaining about how Sony botched the launch with no enough to go around. The PS2 went on to become the best selling console ever tho.

Thing is the PS3 launch is somewhat similar to the PS2 one. So calling the PS3 overrated just 2 months after launch is forgetting the trouble the PS2 had and hating on it long before it has a chance to reach it's potential. A lot can happen before the PS3 is done, it can drastically lower price, blu-ray could win the format wars and the PS3 may indeed help with that, and the games could be upped dramatically. Not to count the price may be more than some are willing to pay, but in all honesty it's cheap considering the graphics card alone would prob cost $400-$500 if this was a computer graphics card we were talking about, not counting it's a cheap blu-ray player as well.

What about Panasonic 3DO? Probably just as expensive as PS3, except it failed miserably to compete with Playstation and I guess, Saturn, for that matter... Sad to say I own one :)

What about Panasonic 3DO? Probably just as expensive as PS3, except it failed miserably to compete with Playstation and I guess, Saturn, for that matter... Sad to say I own one :)

Same with the Atari Jaguar. Don't get me wrong, I rented it from a rental store for a weekend, and loved the tank game I rented with it. It was hyped to be far advanced to current consoles (and it was far more graphical at the time), but it died a fairly quick death too.

exatly... 3DO, jaguar, sega cd, virtualboy...

there are plenty of consoles more 'overhyped' than the ps3, and that list isn't even for just 'consoles', it's for products.

they just put the ps3 on that list to be "controversial", is my guess.

^ Yeah, but neither of those systems had anywhere near the hype the PS3 had.

^ Yeah, but neither of those systems had anywhere near the hype the PS3 had.
The PS3 was only hyped off the back of the PS2. It was actually criticised by everyone else for pretty much every other reason. Sony may have over-hyped the system, but then, they're going to aren't they.

I just purchased a PS3 a couple of days ago and have 1 question. Will it be a failure??? I've been hearing from a lot of people that it is overrated, expensive, & difficult to make games for.

I just purchased a PS3 a couple of days ago and have 1 question. Will it be a failure??? I've been hearing from a lot of people that it is overrated, expensive, & difficult to make games for.
Its too soon to tell. The system has only been out for aout 3 months. Ask again in a year

Get it out of your house immediately. It will start a fire and attack any children that come near it

Man, all of a sudden, these people come in (the first few replies) and are like,

"whateve this is dumb"

"stoopid lolz"

:whatever:

well if you really need anymore explanation as to why this is so stupid, and it is...then you aren't too smart yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"