Puppets VS. CG

It really just depends, not much can beat a Jim Henson made puppet/creature. But on the other hand, I love CG characters as well. Without CG I wouldn't have seen Yoda fight Dooku and the Emperor and in my opinion, CG Yoda looks 100x better than the puppet Yoda of the OT. I also thought Davy Jones was the best looking CG character ever made, then there is Gollum which proved a terrific performance can come from a CG character as well as the actors performing around it.

I'm going against the majority, CG gets my vote.

It really just depends, not much can beat a Jim Henson made puppet/creature. But on the other hand, I love CG characters as well. Without CG I wouldn't have seen Yoda fight Dooku and the Emperor and in my opinion, CG Yoda looks 100x better than the puppet Yoda of the OT. I also thought Davy Jones was the best looking CG character ever made, then there is Gollum which proved a terrific performance can come from a CG character as well as the actors performing around it.

I'm going against the majority, CG gets my vote.

When i first saw Potc 2 i thought it was the actor in alot of prosthetics with minor cgi for his tentacle beard, than i found out he was 100% CGI and my mouth was agape for a bit.

them bastards tricked me into thinking he was real.

and it will only get better.

It all depends on the situation. Some things can be done with puppets. Some things need CGI. It all depends. You can't just make an end all/be all question, then choose puppets or CGI, and be done with it. It doesn't work like that. This is just like a debate comparing sets to real locales. It all depends on the situation, on and off script.

Before George Lucas went CG-crazy on the prequels, there was never a problem with CGI.

It really depends on what they're using it for. The technology is so good now that it seems it's the better way to go, but I guess it depends on the characters. I'd hate to see puppetry become a lost art.

I don't think Spielberg would have gotten the same performances from those kids if ET had been a CG character. But at the same time, you look at Davy Jones and Gollum, and I don't think either of those characters would have worked as puppets.

There should be a 3rd option for both. I think it depends on what you are trying to create for you film.

Yes Puppets look more realistic, and you can even fit them with mechanical joints and rivets so they can move, example most of the dinosaurs in Jurassic park, CG was fairly new at that point so they had to make the best out of the puppets.

But on the other hand with CG, in a few more years the artists can figure out ways to make them look and animate a little more lifelike, the only thing CG has over Puppets is, they have a large amount of freedom to make the Character do what ever he pleases, as the CG character does not exist in the real world, so if the team want the CG character to run off walls, fly, do some crazy ninja ****, the artists can animate it to do that.

with puppets, for the most part they are stationary.

I side with both in a way, But CG will soon take over, fivin a few more years time, actors could well possibly be put out of jobs.

Making a CG movie alone will cost less in the future, as you don't have to pay actors ridiculous amounts of money, and you have full creative control

the day this happens is the day i stop paying to see movies.

I like stuff done in camera, but CGI is good too, or so-bad it's good (A Sound of Thunder is a example of so-bad it's good CGI)

davyjones.jpg

!!!

cgi... puppets are more for giggles,awws, or scares.

if you wanna make ur audience feel... cgi is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"