Quaid talks GI Joe.

tamron

Sidekick
Reaction score
Quaid talks about GI Joe in this article at MSN:

And if he gets to mix pleasure with a good career move now and then, so be it. That's the scenario with joining the cast of the big-screen adaptation of "G.I. Joe." He'll play the pivotal role of General Hawk, the behind-the-scenes leader of the international special forces group.

"It's not deep," Quaid admits. "I mean, the character of General Hawk that I'm playing is really kind of a cross between Chuck Yeager and Sergeant Rock and maybe a naïve Hugh Hefner thrown in there."

Quaid laughs when asked if he's going to keep the character's trademark flattop saying, "I don't think so. I mean I'm special forces. I can do anything I want. So, I'm thinking about actually kind of going a little blond, Robert Redford-ish type of thing."

But what about the hardcore fans, Dennis? Aren't you afraid of a backlash if you stray too far from what they expect?

"General Hawk's aide ... is a Victoria's Secret supermodel," Quaid says. "I mean, how serious can it be?"

Ahem, point taken.

LOL, well, he is right. I assume he's not a massive fan of the figures or whatever from that article, but he'll do what he can with the role. Though I know some will take that interview as him saying he doesn't give two ****s because it's "only" G.I. Joe.

Oh no! I knew they should of caste Kurt Russell or Tom Berenger. Dennis Quaid sucks as an actor!

I have nightmares right now that this goof of a director is gonna have hawk say go joes look at covergirl and then look at the camera and give his best groucho marks impression.

Hmmm... Is Quaid saying he's not really taking this role serious? Is he not going to give it his all being what kind of movie it is?

I'm beginning to wonder after he said: "General Hawk's aide ... is a Victoria's Secret supermodel, I mean, how serious can it be?"

Or is that him saying he's going to have some fun with a role for a change?

I'm a little concerned this film is being slapped together rather cheaply...Quaid's comment does nothing to ease that concern. Though he's always a reliable actor.

I love how everyone now is surprised at the idea that this movie is going to be a big joke. Wasn't it kind of obvious?

Stephen Summers? Marlon Wayan? Victoria's Secret models? Sucky casting?
Lol, weren't you paying attention?

Hmmm... Is Quaid saying he's not really taking this role serious? Is he not going to give it his all being what kind of movie it is?

The general point of the entire article was that Dennis Quaid thinks some people (particularly young actors) take acting too seriously, and he's having fun with everything he does these days.

"I'm doing it really for the same reasons that I started out, like in acting school back in college," Quaid says. "Because I really love to do it and I'm having fun with it and I like to do as many different types of things as possible. I mean it's not a real job for God's sakes."

if you read the full article on the link on the SHH mainpage, he says that theres no romance for him in this movie. then came the quote about his assistant being Carolina Kournikova. he means nothing serious happens between them.

stephen sommers is gonna make yet another heavy fx movie with horribly fake looking hollywood sets......

ugh... i could care less about this movie

if you read the full article on the link on the SHH mainpage, he says that theres no romance for him in this movie. then came the quote about his assistant being Carolina Kournikova. he means nothing serious happens between them.

*Karolina Kurkova.

I think everyone is taking his quote way too seriously. All he's saying is that he's going to have some fun with the role. G.I. Joe is supposed to be fun and campy, not super-serious.

Hawke didn't have a Victoria's Secret super model as his aide in the comics or cartoon.

LOL, well, he is right. I assume he's not a massive fan of the figures or whatever from that article, but he'll do what he can with the role. Though I know some will take that interview as him saying he doesn't give two ****s because it's "only" G.I. Joe.

That's not very encouraging. Wouldn't it be better if he had been given a role that he could care about?

ctvampslayer said:
I think everyone is taking his quote way too seriously. All he's saying is that he's going to have some fun with the role. G.I. Joe is supposed to be fun and campy, not super-serious.

Can't it be fun AND serious? Why do you have to choose between fun, and "super-serious?"

If you want fun and serious look at a fanfilm but hasbro is throwing out millions to billion to make this a blockbuster while Dennis Quaid decides he wants to be a comedian in this film.

Well, I read somewhere that Larry Hama is involved with this film, and he's feeling positive about it, so I think that's a good sign.

Can't it be fun AND serious? Why do you have to choose between fun, and "super-serious?"

Well, it can. However, G.I. Joe has historically (at least for the cartoons and action figures) have leaned more towards campiness over uber-seriousness (a steel-mask-wearing arms dealer, characters that look like Village People rejects (yes, I mean you Gung Ho and Spirit), etc). That said, this doesn't mean that the movie will be completely devoid of serious themes/side plots/undertones.

It's just that they don't want to go completely in that direction. Personally, I think G.I. Joe had the potential to be a really good military thriller but I can also see it as a campy action movie either. Just because it's likely to be corny/campy doesn't mean it'll be bad or devoid of substance. I mean, look at Buffy and Firefly!

I can understand where his remarks would get fans a little punchy. I don't think it is so much that you want the film to be serious and depressing, but that you want the source material taken seriously/respectfully and not treated as fodder.

Look at TF, I personally was completely disappointed with that movie. The effects were great, Megan Fox was unbelievably hot, but I could care less about Shia's character and the military characters. I wanted to see the robots and follow their story. When the secret agency people (can't remember their agency name--Sector 7?) came in they were completely ridiculous. And the Autobots like Optimus were made to act like fools.
And when you get to one of Optimus' big lines from the old movie as he was squaring off with Megatron they didn't even show him. They were showing Shia in his shadow scared. It's like the movie makers were saying hey this was a cartoon/comic book and didn't take it seriously and it showed in the material.

One thing that Donner had going for him in Superman the movie was that he was approaching the material seriously--(although he didn't in regards to the villain which I will still never understand) and it showed in Superman's upbringing in Smallville and protryal through the film.

Hopefully with Hama behind the film we will see something special, but if this is the attitude of the filmmakers in charge we should be concerned. I want a fun/action movie that respects the source--nothing more.

I never saw Buffy or Firefly as campy or corny, though. There's light humor, obviously, and a touch of tongue-in-cheek, yes, but it's pretty straight for the most part.

I don't see what's so campy about Destro's mask, personally. At the end of the day, what really matters is how it's presented onscreen. I remember people telling me how the Spider-Man movie would never work, because the costume looks too silly, and just look how that turned out!

Hawke didn't have a Victoria's Secret super model as his aide in the comics or cartoon.

The Character "Cover Girl" who was in the cartoon and comics was in fact a model before joining the miltary which is why she was given that code name.

My guess is they are adding her to the movie as Hawke's aid.

I'm a little concerned this film is being slapped together rather cheaply...Quaid's comment does nothing to ease that concern. Though he's always a reliable actor.

Yeah but this film seems like it will be lacking all the things that make a movie special. No heart, no comraderie amongst cast members, no belief in it.

This sounds like a bunch of actors doing a job and that's it. I just have to think that one of the major differences between good movies and bad movies is that good movies are ones that are truely cared about by the cast and crew.

Yeah but this film seems like it will be lacking all the things that make a movie special. No heart, no comraderie amongst cast members, no belief in it.

I disagree there. If you're referring to Quaid's interview, I think he was merely cracking a joke with the interviewer (it's no unusual to do this, even if they are passionate about said topic). As for the lack of camaraderie and heart, I say we don't know since we haven't heard much from them since production started. You must remember, that was a pre-filming interview and not a post-production one, where all bonds are formed, etc.

The Character "Cover Girl" who was in the cartoon and comics was in fact a model before joining the miltary which is why she was given that code name.

My guess is they are adding her to the movie as Hawke's aid.

That has nothing to do with my point.

That has nothing to do with my point.

so your point is that they made her a victoria's secret model instead of a regular model? wow. great point... you must be one of the people who hated the transformers/GM thing.

the cartoon Hawk didn't have a flattop.. and wasn't blonde.. hmm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"