Quick question on the script

Snikt

Sidekick
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the writers of the script have to get it copyrighted before they submit.

I don't know. It doesn't hurt to have it officially copyrighted.

I don't know. It doesn't hurt to have it officially copyrighted.

Thanks BMM. If anyone else can help to answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if the writers of the script have to get it copyrighted before they submit.

I don't really understand the question! I'm sure the Wolverine script has been copyrighted. Why wouldn't it be? And why would it matter? Most writers would want to protect their work.

Tell us more about what you want to know and why.

I don't really understand the question! I'm sure the Wolverine script has been copyrighted. Why wouldn't it be? And why would it matter? Most writers would want to protect their work.

Tell us more about what you want to know and why.

The question is this: Do you think they copyrighted the script before they submitted it to FOX or after?

For instance, the writers on X2, did they get their script copyrighted before they submitted it or afterwards?

I think the script is promptly copyrighted after finished. All the X-Men scripts are requested by FOX, so I think the writers can only copyright them with FOX's permission, since the studio owns the rights to the characters used on the script.

I see. Ask the WGA about the standard procedure. But I think flavio has a point about any script using characters owned by someone else.

The question is this: Do you think they copyrighted the script before they submitted it to FOX or after?

For instance, the writers on X2, did they get their script copyrighted before they submitted it or afterwards?

Technically, in the United States (I don't know about elsewhere), you don't necessarily need to have anything "copyrighted." Although, it doesn't hurt, especially regarding something like a script, in which ideas can be easily "borrowed" by others.

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See “Copyright Registration.”

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time...

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wccc

As flavio noted, things probably are a bit more complicated regarding a property owned by a studio.

Thank you guys very much. I grealy appreciate all of this.

there is always confusion over this type of affair

marvel owns the rights to the printed versions of the characters but tnot the movie adaptions (with the exception of iron man so far)

this is where problems may arise in the future for crossover characters ect

the biggest one of which i can see is avengers ect

the best example i can think of of a writer/director not copywriting a character is james cameron and terminator

and look how they ruined that afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"