RDJ Explains the toughest part of being Iron Man

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
Pretty interesting read. That must be so difficult for an actor.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...-reveals-toughest-part-playing-170104805.html

Basically, Downey has to relive all of the action scenes in the movie they already shot and deliver the same level of intensity even though he’s standing still and there’s nothing for him to actually react to. That includes performing some of his most emotional scenes, like in “The Avengers” when he is unable to contact Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow) while he is flying to what he believes will be his death.

I'm sure the millions of dollars make it easier.

I'm happy for anyone who can make it big, he raked in $50 million from Avengers....

But, tough parts
music-smiley-1300.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love me some RDJ, but when actors whine about how tough their job is...hey, maybe it's not easy perse, but you're not stacking shelves for $10 an hour or digging holes in the rain.

Unless their scene is digging holes in the rain.

Unless their scene is digging holes in the rain.

Even so, they're still getting umpteen million dollars :whatever:

I should clarify and say big time actors on high budget films. I'm sure unpaid and low paid actors have every right to complain.

Describing the "toughest" part of your job isn't necessarily complaining, nor is it implying that your job is harder than everyone elses. It is simply comparing the "tougher" parts of your job to the "easier" ones.

Money has nothing to do with that comparison.

Describing the "toughest" part of your job isn't necessarily complaining, nor is it implying that your job is harder than everyone elses. It is simply comparing the "tougher" parts of your job to the "easier" ones.

Money has nothing to do with that comparison.

Fair enough. I guess RDJ wasn't complaining, really. However, my point about big time actors complaining (which some have been known to do) still stands.

I thought it'd be having to choose between Gwyneth or Scarlett. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love me some RDJ, but when actors whine about how tough their job is...hey, maybe it's not easy perse, but you're not stacking shelves for $10 an hour or digging holes in the rain.

They don't have the hand-to-mouth financial concerns of most people, but they have to be extrememly dedicated. I remember Kevin Sorbo commenting that he usually worked 6 12-hr days per week while filming Hercules. Laurie Holden said that she spent an entire day (6am-dusk) sprinting through the woods while filming the Walking Dead season 2 finale. She could barely get out of bed the next day.

That all sounds like something you would have to love to it's very core to keep doing for a lifetime.

They don't have the hand-to-mouth financial concerns of most people, but they have to be extrememly dedicated. I remember Kevin Sorbo commenting that he usually worked 6 12-hr days per week while filming Hercules. Laurie Holden said that she spent an entire day (6am-dusk) sprinting through the woods while filming the Walking Dead season 2 finale. She could barely get out of bed the next day.

That all sounds like something you would have to love to it's very core to keep doing for a lifetime.

Paramedics and firefighters work 12 hour days. I used to do 12-16 hour days 6 days a week, building cabinets. Millions of people work much, much harder than Hollywood actors, and they don't have a team of assistants.

As I said, I'm not saying the work of an actor isn't hard from time to time. But compared to your average Joe, it really doesn't compare.

Yeah , but you can't make every average Joe a decent actor. I'd be less intimidated building a cabinet than pretending to be scared in front of a green screen.

Also the actors are used to being pampered. If they are accustomed to a carefree lifestyle and then suddenly asked to work twelve hour shifts it becomes difficult for them.

Pretty interesting read. That must be so difficult for an actor.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...-reveals-toughest-part-playing-170104805.html

Basically, Downey has to relive all of the action scenes in the movie they already shot and deliver the same level of intensity even though he’s standing still and there’s nothing for him to actually react to. That includes performing some of his most emotional scenes, like in “The Avengers” when he is unable to contact Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow) while he is flying to what he believes will be his death.

Wow, so tough. My heart goes out to the guy. I don't know how he does it.

Yeah , but you can't make every average Joe a decent actor. I'd be less intimidated building a cabinet than pretending to be scared in front of a green screen.

I agree.

I'm sure he goes home and cries on top of a pile of money.

Well it's not like he's crying out for sympathy. I think he is just trying to relate his experience.

As Phantasm said above, RDJ was just commenting on the toughest part of his job. I sort of went off topic talking about whining actors, but it doesn't look like that's what RDJ was doing.

I think we all can relate to wandering the empty halls of our mansions, lost deep in our thoughts.

Well it's not like he's crying out for sympathy. I think he is just trying to relate his experience.

This is my take on it too. It's not like he was going "the HUD scenes are so hard to film, my life is so difficult, nobody in the world works harder than I do!" he just seemed to be describing what is the comparatively more difficult part of his job.

Paramedics and firefighters work 12 hour days. I used to do 12-16 hour days 6 days a week, building cabinets. Millions of people work much, much harder than Hollywood actors, and they don't have a team of assistants.

As I said, I'm not saying the work of an actor isn't hard from time to time. But compared to your average Joe, it really doesn't compare.

There are much harder jobs, particularly on the physical front, but being a major celebrity seems like a life full of pitfalls. Even after they finish their projects, which might mean months of 12-hr days, they travel to do promotion. Sometimes this results in them getting something like 10 days off in a years time. Even when they are off, they have to deal with the intrusiveness of paparazzi and fans. It's no wonder that so many of them end up with drug/alcohol problems and a string of failed relationships.

It seems to me that a truly happy actor has a workaholic type of personality. I've read interviews with Cesar Romero, John Wayne, and Jackie Chan who all said, in various ways, that they didn't like taking vacations or even personal days. I'm happy for them, but that doesn't seem like the type of life that many people, myself included, would choose for themselves.

Jackie Chan also broke a ton of bones doing stunts. A job can be hard and still pay great. In some cases that's why they're paid so much money.

RDJ is humble by from what I have seen and read so I don't think he was talking about how tough his job is compared to ditch diggers...he was talking about how tough it is from his level of talent. If he said his job was easy...he would be a *****e conveying that he is the best actor ever created by god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"