Comics Recommended Wolverine Read

Reaction score
What are some Wolverine TPBs and graphic novels should a diehard Wolverine fan read asap? I've only thought of the following:

Days of Future Past
Days of Future Now
Weapon X
Origin

There's a collection of the first Wolverine mini. It's 4 issues and came out before Wolverine became a parody of himself.

And to think I would've recommended to stay the f**k away from his solos, lol.

There's a collection of the first Wolverine mini. It's 4 issues and came out before Wolverine became a parody of himself.
So he became a parody after his first mini? :whatever:
Ridiculous. There were so many great Wolverine moments after that, especially the Larry Hama run.

DarthCyclopsRLZ said:
And to think I would've recommended to stay the f**k away from his solos, lol.
And why would you recommend it?
Maybe it's because Cyke has never had his own solo books? Now, don't be jealous. :oldrazz:

As for Wolverine TPB's and GN's, of course I would recommend the entire Larry Hama run, some of Frank Tieri and Greg Rucka's run, "Netsuke" (one of my favorite Logan stories ever), "Wolverine/Hulk" by Sam Kieth, "Inner Fury", "X-Isle"...and some more stuff I'll think about later.

So he became a parody after his first mini? :whatever:

Nah, over the years he became a melodramatic Max Payne with some 'misunderstood victim of fate' on the side. Rather than just him being an a$$hole/thug. Which sucks.

I dig the pissed off samourai routine. No need to turn him into a freakin misunderstood philosopher.

Refer to the Magneto retcons.

Rather than just him being an a$$hole/thug.
He's neither one nor the other. At least, that's not what he's supposed to be - an idiotic thug with claws - for the readers who really dig the character.
You want Wolverine to be one-dimensional. Great. It seems only Cyclops is allowed to have some kind of personality. :whatever:

1 - Being an a$$hole still qualifies as having a personality. Just cause it ain't one you can drool over doesn't mean it's not a bona fide one.

2 - Here we go again. Me saying Wolvie's BASICALLY a pissed off samourai and Babe going on about how he's so much more than that. You're saying that as if the aforementioned samourai thingy isn't cool enough of a character outline. Geez.

3 - I'll take a wild guess and assume Morrison's "Do I look like a philosopher" and Whedon's "Logan's a thug." lines just killed ya, eh?

You're saying that as if the aforementioned samourai thingy isn't cool enough of a character outline. Geez.
It isn't, if all the so-called pissed off samurai does is drink beer (or, better, sake) and slash people with his claws while saying "bub".
Maybe cool at first glance, but it would be quite uninteresting to see that same "cool" routine over and over, for years.

I'll take a wild guess and assume Morrison's "Do I look like a philosopher" and Whedon's "Logan's a thug." lines just killed ya, eh?
Not at all, because first, Morrison was obviously being ironic. I don't think he's a philosopher, but deep down he himself believes he is. :cwink:
And second, I always thought that Whedon wrote Wolverine badly in Astonishing, so I'm not surprised that he thinks Logan is just a thugh. I never followed the Whedon bandwagon, never thought "Buffy" was like the "bestest thing evah", so his opinions about my fave character aren't really important to me.

It isn't, if all the so-called pissed off samurai does is drink beer (or, better, sake) and slash people with his claws while saying "bub". Maybe cool at first glance, but it would be quite uninteresting to see that same "cool" routine over and over, for years.

Thats an issue with the writers, not the concept. Claremont proved that during the 80's.

Not at all, because first, Morrison was obviously being ironic. I don't think he's a philosopher, but deep down he himself believes he is.

Thats not Morrison's style. He's more of a commentator than introspectivist.

Hmm...favourite Wolvie tales for me:

1.Origin-I loved it!!
2.Days of Future Past!
3.Enemy of the State-didn't like Agent of Shield that followed too much, though.

Here are what I consider the absolute essential Wolverine stories:

Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith - *
Uncanny X-Men by Claremont & Byrne
Wolverine (Vol. 1) by Claremont & Miller
Wolverine #10 by Claremont & Buscema - *
Wolverine (Vol.2) by Hama & Silvestri/Texeira/Kubert
Not Dead Yet by Ellis & Yu
Blood Debt by Steve Skroce
Wolverine (Vol.3) by Rucka & Robertson

* - These two (along with X2), seem to form the basis for the 2009 Wolverine movie.

Thats an issue with the writers, not the concept. Claremont proved that during the 80's.
Yes, at inception, he was more like Kikuchiyo in Kurosawa's Seven Samuri. A thug with difficulty expressing himself outside of rage who is both more and less than he seems. Any writer could turn that into gold with effort. Many writers just haven't put out the effort, favoring "let's cut 'em up, bub" as an actual PLOT. :whatever:

it's a little strange, but I really liked the Snickt! mini, myself. I thought the art was amazing. :)

Snikt.jpg

Oh, and the Havok/Wolverine Meltdown mini wasn't half bad either. For Loeb/Sale fans check out Gambit/ Wolverine TPB Victims. :up:

I loved Snikt! too, the art was great!
It was one hell of a sexy Logan! :D
Take a look at that outfit! Why can't Logan wear something like this instead that awful blue and yellow stuff and dumb mask? :(

I just read Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure. It was a pretty good read.

tpb_91b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"