Regina King's Directorial Debut: One Night in Miami

DKDetective

Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him)
Staff member
Reaction score
Set on the night of February 25, 1964, One Night in Miami follows a young Cassius Clay (before he became Muhammad Ali) as he emerges from the Miami Beach Convention Center the new World Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Against all odds, he defeated Sonny Liston and shocked the sports world. While crowds of people swarm Miami Beach to celebrate the match, Clay - unable to stay on the island because of Jim Crow-era segregation laws - instead spends the night at the Hampton House Motel in one of Miami's historically black neighborhoods celebrating with three of his closest friends: activist Malcolm X, singer Sam Cooke and football star Jim Brown. The next morning, the four men emerge determined to define a new world for themselves and their people. In One Night in Miami, Powers explores what happened during these pivotal hours through the dynamic relationship between the four men and the way their friendship, paired with their shared struggles, fueled their path to becoming the civil rights icons they are today.

I love the concept of this film and the iconic individuals that make up the cast of characters are great foundation material for killer performances and dramatic tension. I am extremely pleased to see this film is getting rave reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:

One Night in Miami (2020)

First Look Clip:

I love the play, its incredible. Looking at the trailer, it looks like they've expanded the story more than I expected them to. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. And Leslie Odom Jr. is poised to get one step closer to his EGOT.

The trailer looks interesting, but it got me wandering...when a white director make movie with all white cast it starts the racism talk, yet all black directors make movies only with black actors or the few white actors in their film a portrait as racists. I don't get it. I haven't seen a black director to do movie about white men. Yet that is not racism.

What it comes down to for me is RottenTomatoes and IMDb are not credible barometers for film quality. If the trailers, casts, directors, stories, promotion look intriguing then watch the film to determine your own opinion.

What it comes down to for me is RottenTomatoes and IMDb are not credible barometers for film quality. If the trailers, casts, directors, stories, promotion look intriguing then watch the film to determine your own opinion.

It hasnt a release already so of corse you cant see IMDB this seriously. But if it had 10000+ votes it can be accurate. Ma Rainey's has a score of 7,2 per example with only 2,4 % with 1 score. Every movie has some haters.

Just saw this today...and wow, what an experience. Aldis Hodge, Elis Hodge, Lesley Odom Jr, Kingsley Ben Adir were all magnificent and fit their roles like a glove, and their chemistry was off the charts. The vast majority of the film takes place in a hotel yet I was never bored because the drama in the conversations were engaging and thought-provoking at the same time.

Awesome film.

8/10.

I thought the actors were phenomenal. King did a great job directing.

Eli Goree as Cassius Clay - Muhammad Ali stood out to me the most. Eli didn’t just play Ali, he fully committed to the legend’s larger-than-life personality. What a charismatic performance! I was captivated every time he was on screen. All 4 men were outstanding, and Regina King's directorial debut is super impressive.

What One Night In Miami captures best, it’s four men… all at various intersections of life trying to figure out what Black fulfillment means to them.

The pain of this? everything changes after that night in Miami. Malcolm's plan to bring Ali into the nation is foiled because Ali chooses Elijah Muhammad over him. Sam is killed in LA ten months later. Malcolm not even two months after that. Ali and Jim Brown remain close but as life has shown us… their own radicalism shifted in many ways over time. I recommend folks read 'Blood Brothers: The Fatal Friendship of Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali’ on how it all played out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC75ZQ1/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

God I’m kinda in tears right now lol only few movies do that to me but this hits so much. Fantastic job to all the cast and crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"