Repo! The Genetic Opera

And? The subject matter, characters, story, and visual style are good enough that it didn't really need the opera gimmick. That's more a compliment to the writer and director than it is a complaint. I feel the same way about Sweeney Todd
But the difference is Sweeney Todd didn't start off as a musical, it was just more successful as one.

To make a movie of a musical without the music is ******ed.

could it really have been any more ******ed than this ?

lol

But the difference is Sweeney Todd didn't start off as a musical, it was just more successful as one.

To make a movie of a musical without the music is ******ed.

How Repo started out is irrelenvant The music in the movie was a GIMMICK, It doesn't bring anything to the narrative. The story could have been more effectively told without it.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but it'd be like reading a novelization of Spider-Man comics. It'd be kind of missing the point.

Finally saw this.

It's pretty bad. It's a fun bad, but it's bad nontheless.

Anthony Stewart Head was pretty good. Alexa Vega is terrible. Her "Seventeen" bit...ugh. Paul Sorvino can hit like two notes, but he can HIT them. Sarah Brightman was almost a parody of herself, even when she sounded decent. Paris Hilton was just there ****ting it up. It's a pretty interchangeable role. I got a kick out of the two brothers for about ten seconds, and that was it.

WHO WAS THE PLOT DEVICE GUY WITH THE GIANT MUSTACHE? Was that Rotti's chauffeur?

The story is...passable, I guess. The cut scenes are awkward as hell, and add very little to the overall premise of everything. The basic idea is pretty random. Gross, but random.

The songs, though, most of the songs are just awful. They're not uncreative exactly, but they are generally just horribly executed, both in writing and performance. Every other line is exposition, and every OTHER line is "Whoawhoawhoaaaaa!", and like every 10 lines rhyme. :)

The directing is actually pretty solid, except for the like, seventeen reused CGI shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"