Runaways Reunion | Runaways' first episode

Reaction score
S1 E101 'Reunion'
Original Streaming Date: November 21, 2017

A group of six Los Angeles teens, fractured by a tragic loss, reunite only to discover that their parents may be hiding a terrible secret that turns their world upside down.

This is a bit of a gang getting together. In that sense, I did expect things to be paced a bit faster. That being said, it's an important intro to each of the characters.

What's the policy on spoilers in these threads (for the episode, not the comics or future episodes)?

You get the impression they're all dealing with different family issues, but none of them are poor or struggling in any way. The comparison between the comics is distracting. I'm hoping I can put it aside and judge on its own merits. Alex feels very similar. Karolina feels very different. Gert amuses me how annoying she is.

There's definitely something that happened. I guess someone died? It's a little unclear, though, so I wonder if they'll explain it a bit more. Still, Alex trying to bring his friends back together feels organic. Not only is he motivated, but the others have independent agency and independent motivation.

I feel a little bad for Molly. She's clearly not part of the gang and no one seems to be asking her. I'm not sure I buy her being as young as they want us to think she is, though. I get child labor laws and child actors matter, though.

I think this as noteworthy for the changes as what's kept. The big thing are all the hints at powers already. It sort of makes sense as it's part of their characters as much as everything else.

The only things I didn't like were the ease at which they found the secret passage and Old Lace. There's no way the parents should have expected them not to find them both.

Last edited:
The only things I didn't like were the ease at which they found the secret passage and Old Lace. There's no way the parents should have expect them not to find them both.

Molly even says that she "always" has to feed the animals...implying that the kids regularly are in that area with the big door that might as well say "look in this window" on it. That was one of the stupid moments on the show.

The first episode of this show was really relatable to me. As someone who has become somewhat of a loner as I grew older and had a group of friends when I was younger that I don't see anymore, I felt kinda emotional when they all showed up at Alex's doorstep.

Awesome first episode! They did a great job setting up the characters/interactions. Personalities were pretty spot on for the most part, especially Alex/Nico/Chase.

Also loved how they introduced Alex, exactly the way it was in the comic
minus the "Amy" plot they're adding here :huh:

Never have I ever seen a premiere ep so un-Marvel.
Definitely, finishing this up as soon as possible.

Decent 1st episode, I said what the heck and decided to watch. I know nothing about the group going in.

The only things I didn't like were the ease at which they found the secret passage and Old Lace. There's no way the parents should have expect them not to find them both.

The secret passage location was even worse in the comics: It was in the same room as the game room! At least it was moved away from there.

The first episode was great though, I liked the main characters and the mystery is intriguing. The show changed A LOT, but enough to question where the show will go next. I’m glad it’s not a straight up adaptation.

I thought the premiere was great. All the characters seem to have been perfectly cast. There were some changes, but I don't want a show where I know everything that will happen. I'm especially glad they cast James Marsters on the show.

I'm relieved by the way Gert was written. Her being a SJW could have been really preachy and grating, but I think they've played it perfectly (so far).

In the first episode, all of the kids were just cliches come to life. Every sentence out of their mouths was just intended to hammer down a character trait. It ggot a bit annoying with a few of them (not just Gert)...but it wasn't so bad in the next two episodes.

Have all the episodes been released at the same time like Netflix? How are people seeing later episodes?

It certainly felt different. Mollie feels a bit like a different character.

Chase doesn't seem like a teenager either. Is Karolina going to be a lesbian? She saw two girls kissing each other. Was that what it was for, to hint at what might appeal to her?

I thought the episode was rather slow and took a bit too long to get going. I thought we'd actually see them as runaways by the end of the episode.

In the first episode, all of the kids were just cliches come to life. Every sentence out of their mouths was just intended to hammer down a character trait. It ggot a bit annoying with a few of them (not just Gert)...but it wasn't so bad in the next two episodes.
It was their way of hiding. How could you miss that when they bring it up multiple times?

So, am I the only one who felt this episode was somewhat glacial? I know they have a lot of characters to introduce, but so much of the introduction felt like it took twice as long as it needed. Each individual scene or event was appropriate, but they all were stretched out, like the director felt like every single pregnant pause and meaningful look had to use every last scrap of "film".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"