92nd Annual Academy Awards

The ratings drop isn't surprising to me. Frankly, even though the show is hostless now, and the show itself about half an hour shorter, unless you're really interested in films it's kinda boring. I honestly think the Oscars need to have a look at what the Video Game awards are doing. That awards show has found its feet in recent years after struggling for a while. It's more than just about the games being rewarded for that year, it's also a celebration of the games coming the following year. A great innovation they did in 2018 was introduce the nominees for Game of the Year through a score montage with a live orchestra which they continued with last year, and it looks like they are continuing from here on in, which is a great little innovation for that show. The Oscars need to find a new direction for itself, because the format has barely changed in the last couple of decades. The closest they came to reinventing itself was in 2009 when then categories were arranged in a similar order to how the film process goes. They've got to reinvent the show somehow.

Yeah, the Oscars just aren't the huge deal they used to be. Maybe if they get a really popular host, or maybe if a huge hit is up for a lot of awards the ratings might go up. But people are just getting harder to impress with the glitz and glamour. It used to be that the Oscars were one of the few places you could see all the stars, but now they're all over the place on the internet and TV all the time. It's never going to be the ratings powerhouse it was when the only place you could see the stars was at the movies and maybe the TV talk shows.

We live in an age where people can just find clips on youtube or read a list of winners. I think they need to stop thinking about what's going to get them more ratings and focus more on pleasing the people who do watch every year. If the quality goes up, word of mouth might save them.

We live in an age where people can just find clips on youtube or read a list of winners. I think they need to stop thinking about what's going to get them more ratings and focus more on pleasing the people who do watch every year. If the quality goes up, word of mouth might save them.
^^^ This. Making it about the ratings is only going to end in them test-audiencing away the people who actually care about the purpose of the ceremony.

They can do what the video game awards do,just stream it online

Eh, I do feel like ROMA should've won BP last year. There is still more than a few salty folks who still don't want Netflix to win it.

I think it is also important that Hollywood has lost a lot of its shine.

How convoluted is the Academy voting system and could it lead to unexpected results like Green Book's win last year?

What would really make the Oscars more engaging is that they need to cut the filler. There’s no reason it should be 3.5 hours, apart from the self-pleasuring and glamour. Two hours, tops.

And yes, having a big hit up for a lot of awards can up the ratings ... look at Titanic and Return of the King.

PidPt0i.jpg

Also no one has 3 hours to watch Hollywood elite accept awards. They'll watch the highlights tomorrow during their lunch break

Some don't even have time to watch "Joker"

"I still haven't seen Joker"

"What's Parasite about?"

The cats were hilarious especially when they were started playing the mic.

As for the best pictures nominees, I have only seen Joker and i have zero interest watching the rest, as they don't just appeal to me. Being nominated for Best Picture, isn't a reason for me to watch something. I just watched the "highlights" online and every year, I'm only interested to see who will win the acting awards.

Of the Best Picture nominees, I saw 1917, Little Women, Ford v Ferrari, and Joker, and out of those I'd have voted 1917.

You always have to wonder who the people sitting behind them are. They’re not celebrities but clearly important enough to get close seats.

I think some of them are seat fillers so it doesn’t seem empty if the actor/actress is in the bar all the time.

I think some of them are seat fillers so it doesn’t seem empty if the actor/actress is in the bar all the time.
How do you get that job and where's the bar?

How do you get that job and where's the bar?
I have a friend who got that job a couple times at the Kennedy Center Honors. He's a general employee of the Kennedy Center and they basically have an employee lottery they can enter to win the gig, as they need several seat-fillers throughout the show. This past year he got a delightful video on his phone of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg jamming out to Earth, Wind & Fire, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"