• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ridin’ with Biden: Not a convicted felon

I thought it was Gaza that was giving Biden's approval rating the most trouble.

No that's not a top rated issue in any poll I've ever seen.

And the approval rating has generally always gone down as gas goes up over Biden's and previous presidential administrations.

Far too many Americans erroneously see gas prices on signs on roads as what the economy is.

No that's not a top rated issue in any poll I've ever seen.

And the approval rating has generally always gone down as gas goes up over Biden's and previous presidential administrations.

Far too many Americans erroneously see gas prices on signs on roads as what the economy is.
I tend to pay more attention to the cost of groceries and staples than to gas. Maybe because I don't drive that much.

I tend to pay more attention to the cost of groceries and staples than to gas. Maybe because I don't drive that much.
The talk about prices at the pump is something that appeals to the media class.

The average person is smart enough to know that 3.56/gallon vs 3.82/gallon is not what dominates their budget.

Biden is historically anomalous.

Part of him wants to send Americans to die in wars in Ukraine, Gaza, Yemen, etc. We shouldn't be surprised when there's a giant mobilization right after the election.

But he's not making any concessions to the working people who will be expected to die in those wars.

In contrast, Roosevelt, Churchill, even Hitler and Stalin (!!!) all understood better. Roosevelt made the new deal which kept Americans well fed, nationalistic, and maintained the labour skill level needed to run a war machine. Churchill made it a priority that British men no longer be shorter and lighter than German men. Hitler ran public health campaigns (among the first anti smokers) and increased vacation for labour. Stalin was industrializing like mad to survive what he believed to be the coming anglo-German invasion.

But Biden be like, let's give the people bad propaganda, lower real wages, inferior public education, less public health, and we'll win, God bless America.

Lol.

Clearly Biden has been hamstrung during his administration by congress and legal challenges. Many of his executive orders have ben overturned after republican challenges. You can point to loan forgiveness, the unwillingness of congress to approve lowering the cost of education, and the dramatic slashes to the infrastructure bill he supported. In these cases, he was more aligned with Warren/Sanders/Markey wing than mainstream Dems (but most were willing to go along with it).

It's not that I agree with Biden on everything (Israel/Gaza for example), but I do think it's important to note that the agenda he's been able to implement is a far cry from the agenda he supported. I talk to people every day who think Biden needs to "do more" and I point out to them that he's the president, is working with a very slim majority in the senate (which has a filibuster), a non-majority in the house, and groups of right wing nuts who will challenge virtually everything he does in court if it helps working people. The election is coming up, the repubs aren't going to do anything that would popularize the WH, and there's nothing he can do about them.

Clearly Biden has been hamstrung during his administration by congress and legal challenges. Many of his executive orders have ben overturned after republican challenges. You can point to loan forgiveness, the unwillingness of congress to approve lowering the cost of education, and the dramatic slashes to the infrastructure bill he supported. In these cases, he was more aligned with Warren/Sanders/Markey wing than mainstream Dems (but most were willing to go along with it).

It's not that I agree with Biden on everything (Israel/Gaza for example), but I do think it's important to note that the agenda he's been able to implement is a far cry from the agenda he supported. I talk to people every day who think Biden needs to "do more" and I point out to them that he's the president, is working with a very slim majority in the senate (which has a filibuster), a non-majority in the house, and groups of right wing nuts who will challenge virtually everything he does in court if it helps working people. The election is coming up, the repubs aren't going to do anything that would popularize the WH, and there's nothing he can do about them.
Taken in isolation, this is a sensible perspective. You're arguing that Biden has done the best he can within the limits of the system, and thus he should be rewarded with reelection.

But your argument is neglecting several factors.

The first is that people are not merely voting for or against Biden, but also for or against the Democratic party. This is a game they've been playing for over thirty years. Clinton and Obama said the same thing, that they were doing the best they can but Congress was blocking them, even when they had really big majorities. That is a feature and not a big, and there has to be a point where Democratic party is held accountable by voters and not just by donors. By and large, parties are organizations devoted to patronage and social climbing, and taking away the Presidency reduces the party apparatchik 's power to dole out advancement opportunities.

Note that the GOP base has no problem staying home when RINOs are on the ballot, and thus in the long run they get more of their agenda. There has to be a point where Democrats draw a line in the sand, and demand minimal standards.

The second factor is that even if we look at what Biden does have control over, he's done badly as a President.

He ended the COVID emergency prematurely, dooming millions of Americans to long term illness. When he has the political capital in his first year, he did not push for a national ventilation policy.

Gaza is arguably the single most important issue right now, and he's failing. 2 million people might die, and we might have a larger war.

On Ukraine, even if you agree with the war, Biden is mishandling it. Ukrainian forces are being routed as Russia consolidates its economic and diplomatic position internationally. It's a gong show.

Though American media ignore it, it's bad for the USA that they're being kicked out of the Sahel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"