Ridley Scott Directing Film Version of 'The Prisoner'?

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2016/01/ridley-...n-patrick-mcgoohan-alien-covenant-1201678547/
Ridley Scott Captivated By ‘The Prisoner’, Film Version Of Patrick McGoohan TV Series
by Mike Fleming Jr

EXCLUSIVE: Ridley Scott already had plenty of momentum heading into Golden Globes weekend with a Best Director nomination, and now he has even more. I hear that Scott is in early negotiations on a deal to come aboard and direct The Prisoner, the screen version of the 1968 Patrick McGoohan British TV series. This has been a plum project at Universal for some time with numerous A-list scribes including Christopher McQuarrie writing drafts. The most recent version was by The Departed scribe William Monahan. The film is being produced by Bluegrass Films Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark. Scott’s Scott Free team will likely become part of it as they get the script that makes the director happy. Numerous writers are circling to do that, and the elbowing by several top actors has also begun, now that word is getting around that Scott is coming aboard.

The Prisoner (known only as Number Six) is a former government agent who abruptly resigns from his job and finds himself imprisoned in an idyllic yet bizarre seaside village isolated from the world by the sea and mountains. He can’t escape because he knows too much, but that doesn’t stop others trying to capture him for his knowledge. What he wants is to keep them at bay and find his way to freedom.

Scott is prepping Alien: Covenant for Fox, which he’ll shoot shortly, and he hasn’t set a film after that. Covenant wraps up the storyline teased in 2012’s Prometheus, the film that picked up the storyline he started with his groundbreaking Alien. Scott is repped by WME. The Martian is also up for Best Picture in the Musical or Comedy Globes category, and Matt Damon is up for Best Actor.
Was holding out hope that Nolan would find his way back to this. :csad:

Hope they keep the story British and nothing like the remake that Jim Caviesel did!

I gotta finally get into the original show.

Alien: Covenant wraps up the Alien prequels? News to me.

Looks like someone at 20th Century Fox talked him out of the three Prometheus sequel jabber.

It does wrap up Prometheus, not the prospect of Covenant sequels from what I've gathered.

This would be an amazing match.

It feels unnecessary but the concept and cult status of the show may have a marketing appeal, I don't know. Anyways, no one can beat Patrick McGoohan, his Lotus Super 7 and the nostalgia.
Wait and see, expectations are low.
Opinion may change.

The AMC remake (which was done when they didn't hit the ground running yet with their other shows) lost the surreal weirdness of the original show. Sure the show was sci-fi but there was a David Lynch quality to it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"