Ridley Scott's "Alien: Covenant" (Oct 6, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIrishAvenger

You are not special.
Reaction score
‘Prometheus’ Sequel Moving Forward at Fox

Fox and Ridley Scott are getting closer to returning to space as Jack Palgen (“Transcendence”) is in talks to write the follow-up to last year’s sci-fi blockbuster, “Prometheus.”

Scott will produce again through his Scott Free banner though it’s unknown at this time if he will direct. Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are also expected to return.

Plot details are still be worked out but Scott has said in interviews that while the first “Prometheus” had several elements linking it to the “Alien” franchise, this latest installment will feel more like its own film.

Despite not having a greenlight, the sci-fi movie’s new screenwriter is a good sign for a project Fox has been wary of committing to even though the last installment, written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof, made more than $400 million worldwide.

For Palgen, the film marks his second high-profile project following Wally Pfister and Johnny Depp’s sci-fi thriller “Transcendence,” which opens next April.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/transcendence-scribe-to-pen-prometheus-sequel-1200478483/

Last edited:
Let's actually get some questions answered instead of having more questions presented to us.

If he's good enough for Syncopy, he's good enough for me.

Michael Fassbender is FOX's golden boy at the moment. X-Men: Days of Future Past, Prometheus 2 and if Assassin's Creed turned out to be successful, I'm sure it will be turned into a film series.

You can't go wrong with dat Fass.

:o

David Goyer is awesome.... when someone awesome reigns him in.

As long as Lindelof isn't writing, I'm in. Prometheus was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

*comes into thread*

*scrolls down*

"Waiting to see someone **** on Lindelof... waiting to see someone **** on Lindelof... oh, there we go. jacobed. Of course.

Sounds good to me. I'm not sure if I want Ridley back as director though as he was really the main cause of the problems with Prometheus not Lindelof.

I say keep Ridley as producer, let Palgen write it, keep the design team from the first movie as well as H.R. Giger and get a new director.

I think Alex Proyas (The Crow, Dark City, I'Robot and Knowing) would be a good choice of director for the sequel.

I hated Prometheus. The trailers looked so good...it just makes me sad that so many people went to go see this crappy ass movie, thinking it was going to be great. I wish they'd just let it die.

Loved Prometheus, looking forward to this. Great news.

I hated Prometheus. The trailers looked so good...it just makes me sad that so many people went to go see this crappy ass movie, thinking it was going to be great. I wish they'd just let it die.
This.

I really liked Prometheus, it was a great experience. Always hoped they would go forward with a sequel. Too bad Scott is not likely returning though. Cause for me it was his directing that made the film so enjoyable. I didn't hate the writing as much as others, but it wasn't anything special either, Scott made an OK script into something very visually and tensely stirring.

Fox are going to milk the Alien franchise for ever last drop of acid blood its got. Even if Prometheus flopped they still would of come up with another Alien movie.

For the people who have read the Transcendence script: is it any good?

I agree with chamber-music, Alex Proyas would be a really good choice for the sequel.

As for those that are saying Prometheus is a piece of ****.

No it really wasn't. There were in fact some stupid moments or character decisions, but overall I think most people were butt hurt because it didn't answer/spoon feed all the answers everyone wanted.

Another reason Alex Proyas might be a good pick is the Ridley has said he is inspired by John Milton's Paradise Lost. The engineers are dark angels and he liked the idea of Shaw and David meeting 'God'. He even said they may call the sequel Paradise. This is relevant to Proyas because he tried to get a Paradise Lost movie made for a while before it was finally cancelled. Proyas might like the idea of directing this movie and perhaps injecting some of his Paradise Lost ideas while continuing the Lovercraft/Giger body horror of the Alien franchise.

No I'd rather they fix the problems with a good sequel than throw everything in the trash.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Ridley shouldn't direct. I like his approach to practical effects and sets but the man completely dropped the ball on Prometheus. Watching that massive documentary on the film just made me sad, cause they had great ideas but between the script and Ridley's constant meddling and changing things it came out a mess.

Last edited:
No I'd rather they fix the problems with a good sequel than throw everything in the trash.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Ridley shouldn't direct. I like his approach to practical effects and sets but the man completely dropped the ball on Prometheus. Watching that massive documentary on the film just made me sad, cause they had great ideas but between the script and Ridley's constant meddling and changing things it came out a mess.

That is exactly how I feel after watching the Prometheus: Furious Gods and Blade Runner: Dangerous Days documentaries not so long ago.

I knew Ridley liked to play fast and loose but I had no idea he changed his mind and practically made up movies as he went along. Even Russell Crowe mentioned the other day how Ridley just made up a bunch of stuff on the go in Gladiator.

It paid off for Ridley with Blader Runner but not Prometheus. Prometheus was one of those films he really shouldn't of messed around so much with.

I've had a feeling for a while that Ridley might produce and let someone else direct. The Counselor post and promotion, Exodus, Blade Runner 2, a little much for a 76 year old man.

Why not David Fincher? The man is owed an Alien film anyway.

I've had a feeling for a while that Ridley might produce and let someone else direct. The Counselor post and promotion, Exodus, Blade Runner 2, a little much for a 76 year old man.

Why not David Fincher? The man is owed an Alien film anyway.

He's pretty much the closest you can get to a Ridley Scott type, stylistically and tonally speaking, without actually having Ridley Scott. And he knows how to use CGI incredibly well when he absolutely has to.

Also, David Fincher directing a film written by the person who wrote the script for Wally Pfister's upcoming sci-fi film?

I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Honestly, when Scott's last film comes around, I expect to hear that Fincher or Nolan ghost directed it.

What I'm not liking now that people online (in general) are overly-dismissive of Ridley Scott as a filmmaker. And this is coming from a person who didn't like Prometheus.

The dude's in his twilight years, and I can see all of the criticisms vanish once he's gone. It's so circular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"