Robert Altman has passed away.

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-11-21-altman-obit_x.htm

By Mike Clark, USA TODAY
"Maverick" was a word often used to describe director Robert Altman, though you can bet the studio heads he often disdained had ruder alternatives rolling off their tongues.
But while movie-making mavericks scramble, work on their terms and frequently napalm bridges, the maker of M*A*S*H, Nashville, The Player and Gosford Park outlasted enough critics (including, in the '80s, even the critics) to flourish in twilight. Even this year, he could claim one of this year's better pictures on his half-century resume: A Prairie Home Companion. It opened just last June, five months before his death Monday at 81 in Los Angeles.

A master of overlapping and seemingly overheard dialogue (which conveyed the way people really speak, if rarely in the movies), he was a master of ensemble playing. Though second to none in making a widescreen frame visually compelling, he also was an actor's director mostly beloved by the performers he viewed as true collaborators — several of whom returned to his movies again and again.

After years of grueling in industrial films, TV fodder (from Whirlybirds to Surfside 6 to Bonanza to Bus Stop) and even a 1957 low-budget cheapie called The Delinquents, Missouri-born Altman had, in some ways, the misfortune to hit the commercial ball out of the park with his first big studio picture. The irreverence of M*A*S*H (1970) tapped perfectly into mood of a country burned by Vietnam and likely set up expectations for prodigious box office follow-ups.

This was never in the cards. It was more likely for an Altman movie (like, say, 1971's McCabe and Mrs. Miller) to became a classic, though, in retrospect, though it never took very long. His beyond-quirky adaptation of Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye (1973) is a perfect example: it was rescued by a Pauline Kael rave review after other critics had written it off. Yet even 1975's Nashville— a peer with the first two Godfathers as screen cream from the movies' richest decade — failed to do much business outside major cities despite making the cover of Newsweek.

In the late '70s and '80s, Altman may have started to read his own press clippings too much: Quintet, A Perfect Couple, O.C. and Stiggs, Beyond Therapy were not the paths to posterity, even with niche audiences. But his theory seemed to be "keep working and the percentages will start to work in your favor." Even the '80s produced the one-man Nixon show Secret Honor and TV's marvelous Tanner '88.

With 1992's inside-Hollywood The Player, Altman came roaring back at age 67 — and aside from a widely regarded stumble with 1994's Ready to Wear, you can make a case for just about every feature he made after that, especially underappreciated delights like Kansas City and Cookie's Fortune.

Ask a movie lover of the past four decades to name their favorite Altmans but to eliminate the obvious choices: M*A*S*H, McCabe, Nashville, The Player and Gosford. You will get a slew of opposing picks from California Split to A Wedding to the capper Prairie Home Companion.

This is one of the saddest days movie fans will ever have to endure, but there'll be compensating fun in this most stimulating of parlor games: ranking favorites from the most prolific of all filmographies.

I never realised he did popeye. Well, although sad, at least he had a nice long fulfilled life. May he RIP.

He did alot of movies about hollywood,that unless you knew the buisness you didn't get the joke.Since 95% of america is not in hollywood,most people don't care for his films like The Player and such

My gosh. I've never seen one of his films, but this is still an incredibly sad loss. R.I.P. :csad:

I wished he could have won a Best Director Oscar in his lifetime.

I didn't hear about this until Film Club early this evening.

This blows. Altman was one of the greats in American cinema. He will be missed.

Never really was a fan of his films, but he's definitely a legend that inspired many. Sad day.

RIP

I never liked any of his movies, but even I could recognize that he was very important to film.

I´m a big fan of Mash and Short Cuts, just to name a couple. At least he lived a long and productive life and didn´t spend his last years lying on a bed or something.

This was strange, in my uni lecture we were looking at Altman's work and then I came home to the sad news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"