.:Rorouni Kenshin:.

RKO

QT's Personal Consultant.
Reaction score
18402770lrk3.jpg

Rurouni Kenshin aka Samurai X is one of the most compelling mangas I've read. The romantic side of this story just pulls you in, evened with some great blade, Samurai action.

Is set in the Meiji Era of Japan. We follow this 28 year old wanderer, or "Rurouni," named Himura Kenshin. Kenshin eventually meets a young girl named Kamiya Kaoru, who accuses him of being an evil murderer named Hitokiri Battousai who has been blaming her dojo for the killing. She later learns that he has taken an oath to never kill another man, and has a sword with the sharp end of the blade on the other side so he can't kill his opponents.

It's a really well known manga and anime, and a great story. Wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

Last edited:
I haven't actually read the manga, but I did watch Samurai X on Sci Fi (Australia). I quite enjoyed it. Hell, there were one or two of the filler stories that I found I liked too (the rest were awful).

I've noticed the manga though. Maybe I should look at starting to add it to my collection.

I recall liking the OVA's better. I am a fan of the Aioshi character.

Heya,

Yes, it's a good series, IMO. It has a little bit of everything, and done right. Well, if ya read the manga, it's a lot better than the anime series, by FAR, and a lot more material. It's just what happens when you make an anime before the books are done, so they have make their own. =P

Tootles,
Ali

Own the entire english translation of the manga series.

INCREDIBLE STORY.

Too bad the Jinchuu arc was never animated in its full scope (here's hoping that might be remedied someday).

I also enjoyed the manga more than the anime. I hated the last oav and even Watsuki-sensei thought it sucked

its a good show, used to be on cartoon network toonami all the time when i was a kid, havent seen it in years though, its too bad, could use some more good anime cartoons on mainstream tv again

Like the manga. Avoided the anime after I saw unnecessary changes and filler episodes.

I also enjoyed the manga more than the anime. I hated the last oav and even Watsuki-sensei thought it sucked

It didn't suck, the reason why Watsuki hated it was simply because it was too depressing. After all the crap that Kenshin went through, he felt that he deserved a happy ending and be happy, not continue to be miserable.

While I agree with his sentiment, I think it was a good film for what it was.

What makes Kenshin great was that it has a balance of comedy, drama, and action and I felt the final oav didn't capture that with the cast reunited, and I thought it was bullcrap he dies of a disease. I can understand abusing the bejesus out of Hitenmitsurugi Ryu as a cause of death, but a disease is dumb and just out of the picture. I also didn't get why DEAN wanted us to care about Kenji when they do little to really develop or establish him. I also hated how it pretty much relied on flashbacks in a majority of the first half when they could have fleshed out Enishi and also introduced the comrades. It doesn't do his character justice or the entire arc as a whole.

What makes Kenshin great was that it has a balance of comedy, drama, and action and I felt the final oav didn't capture that with the cast reunited, and I thought it was bullcrap he dies of a disease. I can understand abusing the bejesus out of Hitenmitsurugi Ryu as a cause of death, but a disease is dumb and just out of the picture. I also didn't get why DEAN wanted us to care about Kenji when they do little to really develop or establish him. I also hated how it pretty much relied on flashbacks in a majority of the first half when they could have fleshed out Enishi and also introduced the comrades. It doesn't do his character justice or the entire arc as a whole.

But you really can't condense an entire arc along with summarizing the rest of Rurouni Kenshin in two OVAs. A third season of the show would be required.

With that in mind, I find it to be great for what it is, not what it should be.

I ****in LOVE the OAV. The animation is just beautiful.

I can't really appreciate it for "what it is," and the way I saw it for "what it is," it felt like I was cutting my wrists like I'm some damn emo. That's pretty much the impression Reflection gave me. But I won't deny it had great artistic design and animation, I thought Sano's hair in the flashbacks was done realistically and still true to the original design, that I can't overlook, but I just hated the depressing feel of the story and how it ends with Kenshin
dying a disease of all damn things

As for Trust and Betrayal, I love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"