Sales estimates for July 2010

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27979

X-Men #1 was the big winner with 140,332 which was high above Brightest Day #6 which had 94K.

New Avengers had a massive drop off between #1 and 2 which is common but I didn't expect it to be that much. I think it'll bounce back. SA #3 rounded out the top 10 despite it's so-so opening arc beating out all things Spidey and X-Men.

I'm VERY shocked Shadowland #1 debuted at 54K #21 on the list......

Dread, I'm sure you'll read this thread......what was that site you gave that has this stuff about 2 weeks earlier than CBR? I wanna bookmark it.

Wow, I, Zombie is doing really well thus far for a Vertigo series in singles. I wonder if it'll last or fall.

Also, I was kind of curious, I know this is the list from Diamond, but chain bookstores like BAM! and Borders don't order from Diamond do they?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27979

X-Men #1 was the big winner with 140,332 which was high above Brightest Day #6 which had 94K.

New Avengers had a massive drop off between #1 and 2 which is common but I didn't expect it to be that much. I think it'll bounce back. SA #3 rounded out the top 10 despite it's so-so opening arc beating out all things Spidey and X-Men.

I'm VERY shocked Shadowland #1 debuted at 54K #21 on the list......

Dread, I'm sure you'll read this thread......what was that site you gave that has this stuff about 2 weeks earlier than CBR? I wanna bookmark it.

The website is called ICV2 - www.icv2.com

Their Top 300 Comic list - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18166.html
Their Top 300 Graphic Novels list - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18167.html
Their Dollar Trends article - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18169.html
Their Overall July 2010 sales summary - http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18168.html

ICV2 tends to publish their sales articles around the middle of the month, before the end of the 3rd week. They get their figures straight from Diamond. These figures only cover sales in the direct market to retailers in North America; it does not cover downloads or sales overseas. All sales are usually print to order; stores order X amount of copies and that is how many the publishers will print. Companies often print a few thousand extra in case of damages or if they expect reorders; I've heard anecdotes about DC being better about that than Marvel. Whenever a comic is said to have "sold out", that just means a company sold all of their print-to-order copies AND the extras, a number that is never given. These sales also do not track subscriptions.

July 2010 was a weak month for comics. X-MEN #1 defied expectations and sold over 140k; it was the only title that sold over 100k or even over 95k (and only one title sold over 90k). Sales for comics overall fell 12%. Graphic novel sales saw about a 9% rise, although that was almost exclusively due to mania over SCOTT PILGRIM driving up sales for the 6th volume as well as prior volumes. It is worth mention that the Top 20 graphic novel list was dominated by Scott Pilgrim, Blackest Night/Green Lantern stuff, and Walking Dead; Marvel only saw 2 in the top 20, both selling under 5k trades. DC better appreciates trade sales and has penetrated bookstores better over the years. For perspective, in May and June sales for monthly comics rose 16% over those two months (although June's increase was 1%, which is basically holding steady). This means July was so bad a month it almost gave back two months worth of growth.

The other big story is SHADOWLAND debuting around 55k. It is worth mention that it has gotten I believe two reprints for #1, so that tally will increase. But say it moves up to a 60k debut for #1; some will bemoan how that is more than half what SIEGE debuted at. However, sales for DAREDEVIL saw a spike of about 4k from it in July, which cut back on months of bleeding sales and got the title back to selling where it sold around December '09. Unless Marvel editorial is completely mad, they don't expect SHADOWLAND to sell at the levels of Bendis-written Avengers mania, but will be satisfied if it gives DD a bump before it is canceled/relaunched and dominates the Top 50 list. The fact that a DD event debuted within the Top 25 is impressive. The true story will be how sales hold up. A sales drop of, say, 20-30% in a second issue of anything is about average these days. One wonders how the spin-off's will do, though. Especially SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN, which has already been given a six issue sequel mini, so for all intents and purposes it is an ongoing series that will last ten issues, like VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT.

AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE #1 debuted with over 41k sales, and there'll be a reprint of that debut as well. Considering some issues of YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS last year fell to below 30k sales, that's not bad. When it was an ongoing series, I believe it ended around 50k-60k, but those days for the franchise may be long over. It will be interesting seeing how it holds up over 18 months, even if all issues come out on time.

For DC fans, you shouldn't be overjoyed that BRIGHTEST DAY seemed to "gain" 20% sales between issues this month. The series is partially returnable to retailers (i.e., Diamond allows retailers to return X amount of copies that don't move). Therefore, Diamond often shaves off 20% sales for the first few issues to compensate. SIEGE had that same deal, which was why sales were all over the place for that.

It is amazing to see how the chart has waxed and waned. I remember when THE ORDER debuted in 2006 and at 50k it barely cracked the Top 40. This month a book could crack the Top 50 at just barely over 35k sales. The entire chart is dominated by the Top 25 sellers, and especially the Top 15; if a slew of them sell 100k, everything moves down. When they don't, you have months like this where HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD sold 20.5k and still cracked the Top 100 (albeit at #100).

As an FYI, CAPTAIN AMERICA skipped July (I barely noticed, either). Two issues will ship this month to compensate, I think. STEVE ROGERS: SOLDIER SOLDIER #1 debuted instead it cracked the Top 25 at under 53k, which is very solid. That's not far from where CA sells. Marvel may very well have pulled off the perfect switch for this franchise; replacing Captain America and being able to sell both the new and old Cap at the same time. Expect SR:SS to be a test mini to see how well Brubaker could sell a Rogers ongoing alongside Barnes' CA, especially with a film coming next year.

SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN have proven to not be able to hold onto those massive sales for their triple digit issues. Maybe JMS' bubble has popped. They're both up from pre JMS levels, but the question is how long that will last.

The Hickman run of FF continues to fade in sales, now on the verge of falling out of the Top 50 at just over 35.5k. Sales for months have seen declines and any gains from a variant cover or two are handed back any month there isn't one. Sales for the Four at at a five year low. When ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR sold around this level, Marvel canned it. That said, I doubt Marvel would ever seriously cancel this title, so I expect a relaunch after the "death of one of the Four" arc as NEW FF or ASTONISHING FF or X-TREME FF or YOUNG FF or so on.

YOUNG ALLIES #2 sold at below 16.5k and sold below WEB OF SPIDER-MAN, which was canceled months ago. I am amazed I haven't heard a cancellation announcement about this series yet. Issue six was solicited in November and by then sales should be very ugly. The first issue saw a reprint but even that debut was barely over 20k. The only reason I can think of for why this series hasn't been canceled yet is either McKeever knows where Bendis hid a body, or Marvel wants to keep the book alive for the debut of SPIDER-GIRL (which is basically Arana Vol. 2).

I don't read either, but BLACK WIDOW and HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD's sales are not healthy at all. All recent series that have sold that poorly have been canceled by issue 5 or 6, such as SWORD or DOCTOR VOODOO. Yet, BLACK WIDOW will get a second arc and so may H&M as well, so they may limp to a 10th or even 11th issue. For the record, both are doing better than YOUNG ALLIES.

THANOS IMPERATIVE #2 sold at over 31k. It's selling far worse than WAR OF KINGS did, although it is still selling better than both NOVA and GOTG sold individually in years (both titles ended their runs at about 22k). If Marvel remains interested in the space line, it may justify relaunching both titles as a single entity, at least after the Rocket & Groot mini.

AVENGERS ACADEMY #2 sold at just over 38k, or rather, right where it's parent series, AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, ended. Which is neither good or bad news, but expected news. Unless things prove to be a disaster, the title should be safe a year or possibly see some spikes from variant covers or promotions. I doubt a crossover with THUNDERBOLTS, which sells 7k less, will help much. Hopefully THUNDERBOLTS sees a spike from it this month. Until hopping onto HULK, is was/is Jeff Parker's best selling title.

That sound you hear is some of those WORLD WAR HULKS mini's and some of Deadpool's spare titles hitting the walls of the pipe on their way to oblivion. Also, there is little interest in HIT-MONKEY.

Did ASTONISHING SPIDER-MAN & WOLVERINE really shed over 40% of the sales of the first issue in May? Ouch. Given how badly that spare Spider-Man mini's or one shots, or for that matter how badly spare Wolverine mini's or one shots have sold this year, a spare mini starring both of them is doing okay for now. At any rate, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is still holding up about where it usually does. The first issue of the month sold 68k and the other two around 55-56k, which is average for the thrice a month title. The format will shift to twice a month once Dan Slott takes the helm. Meanwhile, Marvel has created a market in which Daken's title outsells Logan's by several thousand, and Logan's best selling title was the final issue of WOLVERINE ORIGINS. While Marvel's various "moves" have worked wonders for Captain America and Thor, and even with all the stress over ASM, sales have held steady around the 54k mark per issue for over a year (and can spike higher on occasion), all of their moves have backfired on Wolverine, who is selling lower than he ever has. He literally sells better alongside the Avengers, the X-Men, and Spider-Man than he does alone. The character who used to be near the top of the heap every month now is reduced to needing his SON to crack the Top 35. Were Marvel a genuine business, whoever approved that decision would at least be demoted. Shifting Daken onto Wolverine's core title, while promoting WOLVERINE: WEAPON X as the third, most expensive Wolverine title no one wanted has backfired in every possible fashion. Marvel will attempt to right things with a new WOLVERINE #1 with Logan back at the helm, but I wonder how that will do. It is also possible that after 25 years, Wolverine is finally off his peak and tumbling back to midcard status after an entire generation of beating that franchise flat.

As a fan of DYNAMO 5, I was appalled to see SINS OF THE FATHER selling at the bottom of the Top 300 list at under 3700 copies. It sold worse than an issue of the Marvel Index. I have no clue how the trades of it sell, but I cannot imagine Image giving it another mini after this unless they expect sales to spike or just really like Jay Faerber (or the sales of trades make up losses for single issues). Image has a far lower sales threshold than Marvel or DC, or even sometimes Dark Horse, but that's bad. Which sucks, because I enjoy the title, and it's really no worse than, say, THUNDERBOLTS, which sells almost ten times as much.

Are sales now lower than they were a decade ago? Yes and no. The 300th seller in the Top 300 list sold over 3600 copies; years ago, the lowest sellers used to be in 1k and 2k territory. That is likely due to the fact that the bigger companies have pushed them out, and Diamond increased their threshold for carrying low press comics. The #10 seller for July 2010, SECRET AVENGERS #3, sold over 72k. In July 2000, the #10 seller was an issue of ELEKTRA and that sold about over 73k. Comics have weathered the economic storm better than most magazines. The elephant in the room no one wants to talk about are prices. Ten years ago, most comics were still $1.99 and ones that crept into $2.25 and $2.50 territory were more rare. Marvel is pushing for $3.99 to be the default price on over 50% of what they put out in a month, and the figure is probably closer to 60% of what they publish these days (ongoings, mini's, one shots, debut issues, etc.). DC and even Image are following suit. That would have been about a 101% price increase since 2000. From 1999-2010, the national rate of inflation is just under 30% (that is, $1 had 29% less value from 1999 to 2010, so it was like only having .71). Yet the fact that the price of comics has doubled within the decade isn't usually treated as that major an effect on sales by most online commentators, even professionals. Most of that jump has happened within the past five years, when Bill Jemas left Marvel and Joe Q raised prices across the board to $2.99, regardless of sales or target audience. The fact that sales remained there for two years was why Joe Q expected a humanitarian award when in the midst of the recession he hiked them an extra buck all at once. After all, when Dubya was just being re-elected, many comics were still $2.50. Think about that for a second.

Basic economics dictates that raising the price will cause sales to fall off; the question is how low do they fall before you make less than if you kept the old price. Psychologically, many fans feel that $3.99 is too much for many comics and if even 5% of all comic readers adjust habits due to that, than can hugely effect the comic market. BOOM! studios had a panel at the SDCC that claimed via research that the current readership of comics in America is about 300,000 people - or at least those are the people who actually pay for them. That's about 10% less than a figure Mark Millar and someone else cited a few years ago. Some feel that comics will weather the storm as they usually do; others see the pattern as unsustainable. The figures I see show that $3.99 prices don't have major effects on franchises that were doing very well to begin with, but they break the backs of anything that is selling low or at midcard level. INCREDIBLE HERCULES' free-fall was aided by the increased price. Marvel has had a difficult time launching any title with a $4 debut issue unless it is something already big like an Avengers or X-Men title. It also is worth mentioning that NEW AVENGERS is giving back it's sales boost from the relaunch very quickly. Relaunches and renumberings and events and variant covers have inflated sales figures for many comics for at least four years now, but at this point they seem to be less effective than they were even a year ago. Retailers and fans are catching wise. The question is, do the Big Two have any new tricks? Are they repeating strategies that don't work so well out of sheer ignorance, or because they have no other strategies?

Man, and X-Men #1 kinda sucked.

And though I read more Marvel than anything, I can't help but to get happy when they lose to DC. DC claimed 6 of the top 10 slots. I'm mostly bitter that 12 out of Marvel's top 14 (within the top 25) are 3.99 each. While I love their characters, I don't much care for Marvel anymore.

Man, and X-Men #1 kinda sucked.

And though I read more Marvel than anything, I can't help but to get happy when they lose to DC. DC claimed 6 of the top 10 slots. I'm mostly bitter that 12 out of Marvel's top 14 (within the top 25) are 3.99 each. While I love their characters, I don't much care for Marvel anymore.

Marvel's sales dominance isn't always in the Top 10, but down the list. DC may have 6 of the Top 10 sellers, but Marvel had 14 of the Top 25. Marvel's B,C, and D-List titles tend to outsell DC's, which is how they dominate. Having X-Men be #1 doesn't hurt, either. It won't last, though.

Also, I was kind of curious, I know this is the list from Diamond, but chain bookstores like BAM! and Borders don't order from Diamond do they?

I know this is only a post or two up, but I'm really curious about this. Does the Diamond Sales List reach outside the direct market of specialty comic shops to more mainstream stores? Seems like I remember my LCS saying BAM! went through a separate distributor than Diamond.

Diamond does sell to bookstores, but most bookstores do not order from Diamond. If that makes sense. That is why DC didn't go with Diamond to sell trades to bookstores, and why Marvel has followed suit just last year.

So, this list really isn't completely comprehensive since it's just from Diamond and not other distributors that sell to those more mainstream chains basically? That's mainly what I was curious about.

It isn't comprehensive, as I stated at the top of my long post. Any trades sold outside Diamond are not calculated into the sales figures. Diamond's trade/HC list covers solely those trades/HC's that are sold to comic book stores or the very rare bookstore that bothers with Diamond. Book stores, especially big chains, usually go through other distributors for books and trades. DC figured out that selling books to bookstores through Diamond was akin to using a plumber to file a tax return, and years ago sold to bookstores through another distributor. That is why DC trades tended to dominate in bookstores more so than Marvel by 2:1 or even 3:1. Only last year did Marvel get wise and follow suit for their trades. So, no, any trades not sold through Diamond would not be listed. No one knows what those sell.

Thanks for the link Dread, but Corp already gave it to me in the X-Men thread. I got it bookmarked in a safe place in Firefox for the future, I'm fascinated by the sales figures.

Steve Rogers:Super Soldier is going to be interesting on how it plays out. It's been much stronger story wise as opposed to Secret Avengers. Historically Cap has never been able to carry a second title for more a year. Mark Waid of all people couldn't carry Sentinel of Liberty past 12 issues and Cap and Falcon was about the same.

Brubakers strength seems to not be team books as opposed to a solo series. I would love to see 2 Cap ongoings again as I'm not in a rush to see Steve back as Cap. I think Steve Rogers has risen above the name Captain America and can live without it. Bucky doesn't have that luxury and is great with the shield so it could be a win-win for both characters.

I just hope Marvel doesn't pull the trigger come spring to have Steve back in the uniform in time for the movie. They've got a habit of trying to make the comic reflect the movie regardless if the current status quo is working or not....

It isn't comprehensive, as I stated at the top of my long post. Any trades sold outside Diamond are not calculated into the sales figures. Diamond's trade/HC list covers solely those trades/HC's that are sold to comic book stores or the very rare bookstore that bothers with Diamond. Book stores, especially big chains, usually go through other distributors for books and trades. DC figured out that selling books to bookstores through Diamond was akin to using a plumber to file a tax return, and years ago sold to bookstores through another distributor. That is why DC trades tended to dominate in bookstores more so than Marvel by 2:1 or even 3:1. Only last year did Marvel get wise and follow suit for their trades. So, no, any trades not sold through Diamond would not be listed. No one knows what those sell.

I see. I was actually thinking more about manga sales, honestly. I know manga sells pretty well on average (I know in the last year sales have went down some, but I think that's just a general comics thing), and it just occurred to me that I don't see much of it on these trade lists, outside the occasional big release, like Hellsing.

Not surprising, then, I always assumed the book of those sells came from mainstream bookstores.

Thanks for the link Dread, but Corp already gave it to me in the X-Men thread. I got it bookmarked in a safe place in Firefox for the future, I'm fascinated by the sales figures.

Steve Rogers:Super Soldier is going to be interesting on how it plays out. It's been much stronger story wise as opposed to Secret Avengers. Historically Cap has never been able to carry a second title for more a year. Mark Waid of all people couldn't carry Sentinel of Liberty past 12 issues and Cap and Falcon was about the same.

Brubakers strength seems to not be team books as opposed to a solo series. I would love to see 2 Cap ongoings again as I'm not in a rush to see Steve back as Cap. I think Steve Rogers has risen above the name Captain America and can live without it. Bucky doesn't have that luxury and is great with the shield so it could be a win-win for both characters.

I just hope Marvel doesn't pull the trigger come spring to have Steve back in the uniform in time for the movie. They've got a habit of trying to make the comic reflect the movie regardless if the current status quo is working or not....

To be fair, Mark Waid isn't the draw he used to be.

Brubaker does seem stronger on solo titles than on team ones so far. People underestimate the challenge of a team book. It isn't the same as just having the Avengers or Invaders show up in a Cap story. Still, he's no worse at it than Bendis (and I still think he is better than Bendis at it, even at his worst).

Matt Fraction hasn't had INVINCIBLE IRON MAN mirror the films, unless you think the films depicted Iron Man as having armor in his blood, a lobotomy, and being poor (although Bendis still thinks Iron Man is rich; to be fair, now that he and Thor have made up, couldn't Thor just hand him some Asgardian goblet to sell for a few million or something?). Marvel hasn't been as quick to imitate their movie universe since 2007, although hopefully that doesn't change.

SR:SS is only 4 issues. Marvel has enough side CA mini's and one shots to start the spamming for the film, don't worry. ;)

I see. I was actually thinking more about manga sales, honestly. I know manga sells pretty well on average (I know in the last year sales have went down some, but I think that's just a general comics thing), and it just occurred to me that I don't see much of it on these trade lists, outside the occasional big release, like Hellsing.

Not surprising, then, I always assumed the book of those sells came from mainstream bookstores.

There have been a drop in manga & anime sales lately. VIZ had to lay off a slew of people. One manga company had to outright close a small office they had in Manhattan (which only had about 6-10 workers, but still). It isn't catastrophic yet, but these are still losses. More so than normal comics, manga & anime have the hurdle of most of their audience mostly DLing their content illegally. Attendance at anime/manga cons has gone up, but sales don't. That's it's own unique problem. But that said, manga that is not ordered through Diamond would not turn up.

There have been a drop in manga & anime sales lately. VIZ had to lay off a slew of people. One manga company had to outright close a small office they had in Manhattan (which only had about 6-10 workers, but still). It isn't catastrophic yet, but these are still losses. More so than normal comics, manga & anime have the hurdle of most of their audience mostly DLing their content illegally. Attendance at anime/manga cons has gone up, but sales don't. That's it's own unique problem. But that said, manga that is not ordered through Diamond would not turn up.

I knew about Viz's problems, but I didn't know that it was something that was happening everywhere or anything. I mostly thought the big drop had been in anime, since a lot of American licenses in that area struggled a lot at the end of last year and into this one. I thought manga sales hadn't really dropped anymore than comics did, but I didn't keep my nose to as much as you probably do. I do know Dark Horses' manga imprint has been doing pretty steady, though.

Waid did Sentinel during his second Cap run.

His stuff with other companies hasn't exactly lit the Top 25 on fire, is what I mean. Frankly, Kevin Smith's GREEN HORNET has outsold him lately. And Kevin Smith's hardly the talent of Waid. But then again, it could be the project. Could Waid sell on a big franchise again? Like FANTASTIC FOUR or CAPTAIN AMERICA?

I knew about Viz's problems, but I didn't know that it was something that was happening everywhere or anything. I mostly thought the big drop had been in anime, since a lot of American licenses in that area struggled a lot at the end of last year and into this one. I thought manga sales hadn't really dropped anymore than comics did, but I didn't keep my nose to as much as you probably do. I do know Dark Horses' manga imprint has been doing pretty steady, though.

Dark Horse also got into manga before it was a fad, so they know how to do it wisely.

His stuff with other companies hasn't exactly lit the Top 25 on fire, is what I mean. Frankly, Kevin Smith's GREEN HORNET has outsold him lately. And Kevin Smith's hardly the talent of Waid. But then again, it could be the project. Could Waid sell on a big franchise again? Like FANTASTIC FOUR or CAPTAIN AMERICA?

As far as Marvel goes, he's done Cap, FF and X-men.....the latter of which ended pretty quickly because he was butting heads with Scott Lobdell if memory serves. That pretty much leaves Avengers (which Bendis pretty much owns), DD and the Punisher. Some could argue DD and Punisher aren't big franchises but never the less I think he'd be more suited for DD.

He's also done some random arcs on ASM that were ok.

Damn, has Mark Waid really not done any Avengers work? I guess he hasn't looking at his bibliography, kind of strange.

That said, I doubt Marvel would ever seriously cancel this title, so I expect a relaunch after the "death of one of the Four" arc as NEW FF or ASTONISHING FF or X-TREME FF or YOUNG FF or so on.

Actually, if rumors are true, than Amazing or Spectacular FF would be the way to go. Web of FF?:dpf: Untold Tales of FF? :thing:FF Super Stories? FF and Their Amazing Friends? :ff:

To be fair, Mark Waid isn't the draw he used to be.
Mark Waid is a surefire draw for me. The man is a god among writers. He's been around long enough and done enough stuff that I'm not in love with his entire résumé, but the vast majority of it has been excellent. I'll give just about anything he's writing a try, provided I have some baseline interest in it to begin with.

Marvel's sales dominance isn't always in the Top 10, but down the list. DC may have 6 of the Top 10 sellers, but Marvel had 14 of the Top 25. Marvel's B,C, and D-List titles tend to outsell DC's, which is how they dominate. Having X-Men be #1 doesn't hurt, either. It won't last, though.

It's a mixed bag though really because if a B, C, or D-list title doesn't sell well, Marvel will usually cancel it quickly. DC gives them a much longer chance with Blue Beetle and Manhunter lasting far longer than they should have and DC still letting Secret Six, R.E.B.E.L.S., and Jonah Hex thrive.

Marvel dominates the market and dollar share simply because they release a lot more product than DC, charges $3.99 a lot more, and a lot more variant covers. It would be a lot more even (I would say Marvel with a slight edge) if Marvel didn't have an almost monthly variant cover gimmick and released almost the same amount as DC.

Wow, I, Zombie is doing really well thus far for a Vertigo series in singles. I wonder if it'll last or fall.

I bet it's going to lose lots of readers over the coming issues like most recent Vertigo books. Sweet Tooth, Unwritten and Unknown Soldier all started around 20K and look where they're at.

At any rate, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is still holding up about where it usually does. The first issue of the month sold 68k and the other two around 55-56k, which is average for the thrice a month title. The format will shift to twice a month once Dan Slott takes the helm.

Just to clarify, the first 2 issues of the month sold around 56k while the 3rd issue, the first part to OMIT, sold at the 68k level.

:yay:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/may-2010-comichron-report-100830.html

Interesting article about the July 2010 Comichron report, which was basically acknowledging 15 years since Marvel's Heroes World distribution system collapsed. It has some interesting long term sales analysis about comics as a whole.

Highlights:

- July 2010's Top 300 comic sales are down 14% from 2009, and down 9% from 2005. However, since July 2000, they're down only 1%, or basically holding steady with where comics sold collectively a decade ago.

- The Top 300 Dollar Sales figures for July 2010 show that while dollar sales are down 12% from 2009, they're up 11% from July 2005 and up 24%-29% from July 2000. Left unsaid is that this has kept up with the rate of inflation for the decade; as inflation has risen about 30% over the last ten years, pure comic sales in dollars have risen about that much. Also unsaid is the fact that the actual price of, I'd guesstimate, a majority of the Top 300 selling comics have risen 101% over the past ten years, including 33% within the last 18 months alone. So, while dollar sales are up enough to cancel out a decade's inflation, is that merely due to higher prices?

- The Top 300 Trade Sales list is quite healthy. Sales of trades are up 3% from a year ago, up at least 58% from 2005, and at least 125% from July 2000. That means within the decade, sales from trades & hardcovers have more than doubled. That is a positive sign as it makes up losses in periodical sales, and trades can be sold endlessly so long as they remain in print. There are caveats, however. For the last two years, sales for WATCHMEN and SCOTT PILGRIM have made trade sales look a bit better than they would otherwise be. The other thing is that much of this trade growth can be attributed to the increasing popularity and availability of manga trades, which are included in those sales figures. In July 2000, anime & manga were more popular than in 1990, but were still seen as a cult audience. Now it is a far larger industry in North America. Nevertheless, it does show that Marvel & DC having an adversarial attitude towards "trade waiters" is short sighted.

- Overall, Diamond's sales are down 4% from a year ago, but up 21% from 2005. One can see that from the Top 300 list; in the year 2000, the 300th seller was likely moving about 1,000-2,000 copies; now a comic won't even get into the Top 300 unless it moves over 3,300 copies.

SUMMARY: As digital sales are looking more and more like a reality and with the country in a deep recession that has vastly eliminated many magazines and newspapers, the direct market has basically held steady from the last major recession, in 2000. There have been ups and downs but comics are at this point no worse than they were 10 years ago collectively. They do cost more for the consumer and retailer, however. Some anecdotal evidence has also suggested that the overall comic audience has shrunk. At the SAN DIEGO COMIC CON's BOOM! panel, it was stated that BOOM! had done market research and determined that the size of the direct comic buying audience is about 300,000 people in North America. Several years ago, back when Mark Millar wasn't working on ICON books and was more ingrained with Marvel's inner circle (around 2005-2007), he once claimed at a convention panel that Marvel believed that the overall audience was about 330,000 people. Assuming that is accurate, than that does mean that over the last ten years, at least 10% of the audience have left, as prices have risen 101% simply to keep overall dollar sales even with the rate of inflation. This means that, collectively and over the long term, the direct market is selling more comics to fewer people at higher prices to hold steady. There were incredible sales heights in 2006-2008 but also the lows of the current year, and earlier years. The TPB market, however, has more than doubled in that time; if trade buyers are not always the same as comic buyers, as trades can appear in bookstores or libraries, that means a sizeable chunk of the market enjoys getting an entire story for their dollars in a package that lacks ads and is easier to store. In reaction, DC has a very erratic trade program for non Vertigo/Wildstorm material, and Marvel has tried to make trades as expensive as possible.

On the one hand, claims that "comics are dying" are likely excessive. Joe Simon once said, "Comics have been dying since the 1950's," or words to that effect, and the 50's were likely a worse era for superhero titles. On the other hand, the big two need to consider if a model of "holding steady at all costs" over the long term is sustainable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"