Supergirl Season 5, Episode 12: "Back From the Future, Part 2" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
BRAINY MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN ALEX AND LEX; JEREMY JORDAN GUEST STARS – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) helps Winn (guest star Jeremy Jordan) face his greatest fear. After Alex (Chyler Leigh) sets out to find evidence against Lex (guest star Jon Cryer), Brainy (Jesse Rath) must decide between helping his friend or continuing to secretly work for Lex. Alexis Ostrander directed the episode written by Rob Wright & J. Holtham (#512). Original airdate 2/16/2020.

How does he know the other Braniac was telling the truth? And just because it happened a certain way on her earth doesn't mean it will happen the same way here.

No mention of the date in the synopsis. At least it doesn't sound like a filler episode as much as I expected after the promo. They really need to get this Leviathian thing going though, I'm curious to see how it'll all come together.

I wonder if both Alex and Nia will find out if Brainiac 5 is working with Lex Luthor.

What's Winn's greatest fear besides losing his family in the future? Becoming Toyman like his father?

I was close, but Winn finally embraces the legacy.

I was half right that Alex would find out about Brainiac 5 working for Lex and now most of the team as well, except for Nia, who is not in this episode for some reason.

Not a bad episode, but nothing particularly interesting, either, as Winn constantly bores me. Glad he's gone back to the future. The Brainy subplot held my attention, though. Definitely interested in seeing how that plays out.

Kara/William feels too much like a repeat of S2, complete with the whole "Kara rejects him and then Mxy shows up and inadvertently changes her mind." Hope to be wrong on that 2nd part, but I'm not holding my breath. Always glad to see Mxy, though, and I look forward to seeing how Lennon portrays him. Next week should be fun.

Fine episode. Glad it wasn't as much of a filler episode as the promo suggested and I'm looking forward to the 100th episode.

The timing was close but it wasn’t Mxy who encouraged Kara to go for it with Mon-El, it was Alex. Mxy interrupted them as they were about to kiss in Kara’s loft. Mxy was in love when Kara, so he put her in a wedding dress. After Kara sends Mxy back to the 5th dimension she and Mon-El get together. The “It’s a Wonderful Life” experience may indeed cause Kara to change her mind about a date but I doubt it’s going to wind up exactly the same way.

Winn’s advice was good but difficult for someone like Kara in practice. IRL it’s absolutely true that we don’t tell all our secrets on a first date. The different is obviously IRL we don’t have secrets that frequently require us to leave abruptly. In the comics as well as Lois and Clark:The New Adventures of Superman Lois didn’t know for a time. I can’t remember but didn’t that show stretch the reveal out a couple of seasons. I wouldn’t want that here but I could see Kara deciding to take things slow at least for the remainder of this season. Dating while keeping Kara’s secret identity a secret could provide Melissa some nice comedic moments, think last season when Kara, Lena, and Eve we’re stuck at L-Corp with Mercy Graves attacking.

Last edited:
I got Mxy a bit mixed up with Music Meister for a moment, but as you say, the timing’s basically the same and if next episode ends up with them officially together as the last Mxy ep did, that’s still far too close to S2 for my tastes. I mean, the whole William thing comes too close to Mon-El for my tastes already anyway - he was a jerk to her, then he wasn’t, they get closer once the audience has had time to decide he’s a good guy, he pushes for something more, she says she doesn’t really feel that way about him when secretly she does but she’s got some other hang-up about it, people in her circle encourage her to go for it anyway, Mxy shows up and messes with her, she goes all in, etc. I didn’t need to see this bad attempt at a romance twice. It didn’t work the first time, and every move in it feels incredibly forced and transparent by the writers.

And yes, Lois & Clark dragged out the reveal for 2 seasons. But it was Lois who revealed she knew (and was mad about it), because Clark the Dummy decided to propose to her before telling her, lol.

I’m not opposed to Kara dating someone while trying to keep the secret (maybe not for two whole seasons, but for a little bit at least), but William just ain’t the guy, imo. He brings nothing to the table, and their “romance” has already been botched enough for me to the point that I doubt these writers could do anything to get me to root for them.

I got Mxy a bit mixed up with Music Meister for a moment, but as you say, the timing’s basically the same and if next episode ends up with them officially together as the last Mxy ep did, that’s still far too close to S2 for my tastes. I mean, the whole William thing comes too close to Mon-El for my tastes already anyway - he was a jerk to her, then he wasn’t, they get closer once the audience has had time to decide he’s a good guy, he pushes for something more, she says she doesn’t really feel that way about him when secretly she does but she’s got some other hang-up about it, people in her circle encourage her to go for it anyway, Mxy shows up and messes with her, she goes all in, etc. I didn’t need to see this bad attempt at a romance twice. It didn’t work the first time, and every move in it feels incredibly forced and transparent by the writers.

And yes, Lois & Clark dragged out the reveal for 2 seasons. But it was Lois who revealed she knew (and was mad about it), because Clark the Dummy decided to propose to her before telling her, lol.

I’m not opposed to Kara dating someone while trying to keep the secret (maybe not for two whole seasons, but for a little bit at least), but William just ain’t the guy, imo. He brings nothing to the table, and their “romance” has already been botched enough for me to the point that I doubt these writers could do anything to get me to root for them.

So did I haha

You know with the romance I never felt anyone with Kara, not James, not Mon El and not WIllian. I think its down to the writers, they don't know how to write relationships at all.

So did I haha

You know with the romance I never felt anyone with Kara, not James, not Mon El and not WIllian. I think its down to the writers, they don't know how to write relationships at all.
Bingo. Romances are by far the thing they are worst at. Also, do they not chemistry test these guys with Melissa at all? She seems to have chemistry with everyone on the show except her love interests. Including Brainy (who should've been her love interest, but that's a whole other discussion).

Though I will say she had great comedic chemistry with Chris/Mon-El. It was when they turned romantic so soon that I didn't buy it.

Bingo. Romances are by far the thing they are worst at. Also, do they not chemistry test these guys with Melissa at all? She seems to have chemistry with everyone on the show except her love interests. Including Brainy (who should've been her love interest, but that's a whole other discussion).

Though I will say she had great comedic chemistry with Chris/Mon-El. It was when they turned romantic so soon that I didn't buy it.

Yeah why don’t they do that?

If he was more like Brainy from the comics then I’d agree.

Yeah rushed wasn’t it?

Yeah why don’t they do that?

If he was more like Brainy from the comics then I’d agree.

Yeah rushed wasn’t it?
They rush everything in the romance department. It's maddening. The only iconic TV romance that actually had the main couple get together in the first half of a season was Buffy/Angel, and that was because they had the whole forbidden love thing coming where they couldn't properly be together. They ~tried~ to take their time with Kara/Jimmy sort of, but they had negative chemistry and STILL signified him as "The One" for her in literally the pilot episode, so yeah, they have no sense of organic romance at all. I thought Kara/Brainy's first episode together, where he basically showed up out of the blue and they bonded as he helped her get out of her Reign-induced coma was awesome and would've been lovely foundations for a future romance. I honestly thought they were gonna do an actual slow burn with them with Brainy growing out of his star-struck Supergirl worship phase and developing a genuine friendship/crush while she dealt with closing the door on Mon-El, and then wouldn't even consider Brainy until a later season, but alas, they decided to throw him at Nia instead and threw his easy chemistry with Melissa in the garbage.

They rush everything in the romance department. It's maddening. The only iconic TV romance that actually had the main couple get together in the first half of a season was Buffy/Angel, and that was because they had the whole forbidden love thing coming where they couldn't properly be together. They ~tried~ to take their time with Kara/Jimmy sort of, but they had negative chemistry and STILL signified him as "The One" for her in literally the pilot episode, so yeah, they have no sense of organic romance at all. I thought Kara/Brainy's first episode together, where basically showed up out of the blue and they bonded as he helped her get out of her Reign-induced coma was awesome and would've been lovely foundations for a future romance. I honestly thought they were gonna do an actual slow burn with them with Brainy growing out of his star-struck Supergirl worship phase and developing a genuine crush while she dealt with closing the door on Mon-El, and then wouldn't even consider Brainy until a later season, but alas, they decided to throw him at Nia instead and threw his easy chemistry with Melissa in the garbage.

Yeah that certainly would have made more sense. The relationship stuff really annoys me on the show.

I thought Melissa and Chris had romantic chemistry and obviously IRL they do. I know that doesn’t always translate on screen perhaps because the actors want to keep their private life private they hold back. That’s just one of those things that are subjective.

Of course, chemistry is always subjective. But I just didn't see it on the romantic front on screen. They had good "buddy chemistry" I thought. And that could have translated to romantic chemistry if the writers had taken their time and let it develop naturally. But instead they had to rush straight from the enemies/head-butting phase to romance in a span of less than 10 episodes, and it just...didn't work. AT ALL, imo. Mon-El had barely achieved "decent person" status by the time Kara was crushing on him, which was a disservice to her character to me.

One of the inherent challenges of doing romance on TV is it can’t really mirror real life. There’s a line between dragging out the will they/won’t they too long and rushing things. How many episodes do you show the awkwardness of the first few dates or the “honeymoon period”.

I haven’t seen enough Kara/William to decide if I think there’s chemistry or not. My personal wish is that they take things as slow as possible. Here’s what I’d like. We see an awkward first date after Kara has to postpone one possibility two times, then even a second date. Definitely more sister talks while Kara navigates a tricky situation. I think they can reasonably drag out the will they/won’t they be an official couple for the rest of this season, that should be enough for most including TPTB to form an opinion on chemistry. By the season finale William is moving on or they’re officially a couple. If Lois & Clark can drag the reveal out for two seasons I see no reason why this show couldn’t do it for one. I would have no problem if in the season six finale William figures it out and plans to confront Kara.

No one's expecting it to mirror real-life. That was not my expectation. I've just seen plenty TV romances that worked. SG's are always far more rushed and clumsy than any of those. The writers of any good TV romance need a little patience to make it work. These writers have none on that front.

Personally, Kara/William have had more than enough scenes together for me to judge their chemistry as deficient.

I thought Kara and William had chemistry during the karaoke scene, but more as friends than anything romantic.

Between Aquaman and Supergirl, "Africa" is slowly but surely inserting itself into the veins of the DC universe.

"Leeroy Jenkins!" was very unexpected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"