Season 5 Episode 8 Discussion "Hardhome"

I wonder if he saw some of his old self in Jon. Maybe he sees Jon as a worthy opponent.

Someone mentioned a theory over on westeros.org.

That the White Walker council/leadership are all former Starks of the Night's Watch that went on a hunt and never returned. Maybe throughout the centuries the Night's King has been kidnapping some of his own descendants and turning them into White Walkers. Maybe...just maybe he got Benjen too.

This got me thinking. I can't help but wonder why the Night's King is marching south. He's been gone a thousand years and now comes back. Why? What is so special about this particular winter? Conquering the South and killing everyone doesn't seem like motivation enough. Is it possible that the Starks made a pact with the White Walkers long ago and have forgotten their deal and the Night's King is coming to "remind" them? Do book readers have any good theories about the White Walker's motivation?

I've thought for a bit that there might be something to "the return of dragons" as to the reason the NK is marching south now. Maybe some sort of treaty in regards to not having dragons or something. Very early stages, but it's something I've toyed with...

Also....

THAT WAS AN EPISODE. BOOM.

Is whatever The Mountain has turned into from the books? That may be Cersei's last wildcard.

Man, this episode was awesome. Puts the rest of the season to shame. Every story line payed off this time.

This episode was incredible in every way. Jon Snow was cemented as my favorite character along with his storyline in this one. He's fighting the real war while everyone else is super tangled up in petty ****.

I still enjoy the other stories but the attack on that wildling camp was something else.

This Episode was epic!

Helm’s Deep meets World War Z meets Day of The Dead.

Jon is becoming a good leader and shows huge amounts of courage.

They need all the Valyrian steel, dragon glass and dragons they can get their hands on.

Daenery's speech about crushing the wheel was cool but who cares about the iron throne when an army of the dead is coming to kill everyone.

Last edited:
I was immensely pleased with the episode. It was perfection: Arya moving towards fulfilling her destiny; Dany and Tyrion discovering how their lives mirror one another; the fight at Hardhome (and the Night's King being such a bad***,) and Sansa's discovery.

I've thought for a bit that there might be something to "the return of dragons" as to the reason the NK is marching south now. Maybe some sort of treaty in regards to not having dragons or something. Very early stages, but it's something I've toyed with...
tormund mentioned mance was trying to unite the clans for twenty years. i think that's about the same time frame that aerys killed rickard and brandon. the dragons just showed up recently.

ЯɘvlveR;31507157 said:
tormund mentioned mance was trying to unite the clans for twenty years. i think that's about the same time frame that aerys killed rickard and brandon. the dragons just showed up recently.

Back to the drawing board.....

Just when I thought the show was losing a little steam BAM they give me
epicness!!!

John and Tormund Giants Bane is all kinds of awesome
Giant with Tree on Fire WOW WOW WOW

Incredible episode. Complete ****in ace. I will say though...how the hell is episode 9 gonna top this? Unless if this is the episode 9 of this season.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/120426570414/game-of-thrones-5x08-hardhome

tumblr_np99ifW1Fv1rrkahjo1_540.gif

tumblr_np99ifW1Fv1rrkahjo2_540.gif

tumblr_np99ifW1Fv1rrkahjo3_540.gif

tumblr_np99ifW1Fv1rrkahjo4_540.gif

such an epic epic episode!!! what a surprise too, I couldnt believe what I was seeing :D

As everyone else said, phenomenal episode.

- At first I was somewhat worried about they'd handle the whole Hardhome thing since it's something not shown in the books, but holy hell that might just be one of D&D's best deviations yet.
- Some beautiful cinematography. I think it's never been better on the show than this season.
- Valyrian Steel, **** yeah!
- I'm really starting to enjoy the Wall/North of the Wall stuff more and more.
- Did anyone else notice the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse imagery with the four White Walkers on their horses observing the battle, because I thought it was really cool.
- Do you guys think the Daznak's Pit scene will happen next episode, because it looks like it.

Is whatever The Mountain has turned into from the books? That may be Cersei's last wildcard.

I might be wrong but I believe the mountain died in the book and that was it, I think him being resurrected or whatever is happening to him in the show is for the show only, but again could be wrong its just what I heard

Excellent episode. I've been waiting for this for 5 books and over 4 seasons. And yeah, Jon is showing why he is the hero of the series is always nice to see.

Even better:

HSZtZ3u.jpg

So much yes. And also Kane OMG those gifs :hrt:

This episode was incredible in every way. Jon Snow was cemented as my favorite character along with his storyline in this one. He's fighting the real war while everyone else is super tangled up in petty ****.

I still enjoy the other stories but the attack on that wildling camp was something else.

Agreed with you on both points, Jon is definitely my favorite character. And his storyline is the most interesting while the others just deal with petty **** like you said.

I might be wrong but I believe the mountain died in the book and that was it, I think him being resurrected or whatever is happening to him in the show is for the show only, but again could be wrong its just what I heard

The Mountain lives in the book, just like in the show.

Incredible episode. Complete ****in ace. I will say though...how the hell is episode 9 gonna top this? Unless if this is the episode 9 of this season.

This was the best episode of the season, right on par with the best of them. It's like the show remembered how to be awesome again. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. These next two episodes are going to be insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"