Season 5 Episode 8 Discussion "Hardhome"

The Mountain lives in the book, just like in the show.

oh okay. in the show it seems like he died and is being resurrected somehow? they never really explained what was happening

I might be wrong but I believe the mountain died in the book and that was it, I think him being resurrected or whatever is happening to him in the show is for the show only, but again could be wrong its just what I heard

The theory is that in the book [BLACKOUT]Robert Strong is The Mountain re-animated -- as they are both large and fight as Cersei's champion.[/BLACKOUT]

I'm inclined to believe it, seeing as D&D would know from GRRM already.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/120424855269/game-of-thrones-5x08-hardhome

tumblr_np97ledCnb1rrkahjo1_400.gif
tumblr_np97ledCnb1rrkahjo2_400.gif

tumblr_np97ledCnb1rrkahjo3_400.gif
tumblr_np97ledCnb1rrkahjo4_400.gif
that weapon it had was rad as ****. i wonder if there's a real world equivalent to it? it's like a spear and a sword. swar or a spord.

Fantastic episode. I'm speechless.

Daringly, they attempted to outdo the entire zombie thriller film movement in one epic 20-minute TV sequence. And they might just have managed it.

pretty much.

The look on both their faces.:funny:

I love how for a very brief moment both of them forget that they want to kill each other and think "Holy **** that just happened!"
sorta like aragorn vs that king of the dead in lord of the rings.

walker:i thought the line was broken?

Jon: it has been remade!

I thought Brightroar was lost in the ruins of Valyria? Anyway, those are some sweet names. Maybe next season will have a TG, TB, & TU styled plot where Euron, Randyl Tarly, and Jon Snow are going after the dragonglass on Dragonstone.

Last edited:
The look on both their faces.:funny:

I love how for a very brief moment both of them forget that they want to kill each other and think "Holy **** that just happened!"

Jon: DUDE!
WW: DUDE!
Both: SWEET!... Wait.

I might be wrong but I believe the mountain died in the book and that was it, I think him being resurrected or whatever is happening to him in the show is for the show only, but again could be wrong its just what I heard

There was episode ten last season where it looked like Qyburn was giving him a blood transfusion, then earlier this season where he kind of thrashed around a bit. I am actually surprised that D and D didn't delve into the more gruesome aspects of Qyburn's research as seen in A Feast for Crows.

But isn't Jon's sword Lightbringer? That's what this episode leads me to believe and wasn't there something in ADWD about Stannis having a look at Jon's sword.

I think this episode only proved that Valyrian Steel is Dragonsteel (which was mentioned in a previous episode) and can kill White Walkers. Lightbringer is a completely different as it's a flaming sword.

There was episode ten last season where it looked like Qyburn was giving him a blood transfusion, then earlier this season where he kind of thrashed around a bit. I am actually surprised that D and D didn't delve into the more gruesome aspects of Qyburn's research as seen in A Feast for Crows.

They didn't include the scene of sending the tarred head of Gregor to the Martells as recompense, so perhaps they'll forgo the "Robert Strong" persona?

I think this episode only proved that Valyrian Steel is Dragonsteel (which was mentioned in a previous episode) and can kill White Walkers. Lightbringer is a completely different as it's a flaming sword.
i wouldn't be so sure that Longclaw isn't lightbringer.

Jon XII
"Snow, " an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. He slew a greybeard and a beardless boy, a giant, a gaunt man with filed teeth, a girl with thick red hair. Too late he recognized Ygritte. She was gone as quick as she'd appeared. The world dissolved into a red mist. Jon stabbed and slashed and cut. He hacked down Donal Noye and gutted Deaf Dick Follard. Qhorin Halfhand stumbled to his knees, trying in vain to staunch the flow of blood from his neck. "I am the Lord of Winterfell," Jon screamed. It was Robb before him now, his hair wet with melting snow. Longclaw took his head off. Then a gnarled hand seized Jon roughly by the shoulder. He whirled ...

I think there's greater evidence that Oathkeeper is Lightbringer.

There is Jamie's dream where he and Brienne are holding flaming swords.

The original story of Lightbringer had it forged three times: first in water, second in a lion's heart, and third in the heart of Nissa Nissa. Ice was first forged in water as a traditional Valyrian steel sword. It's second forging was as Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail by Tywin Lannister (whose sigil is a lion). It's third and final forging will presumably be when Brienne kills Lady Stoneheart with it. Catelyn was the wife of Ned, the sword's original owner. The flame which resurrected Beric and her will be passed onto the sword making it Lightbringer.

you're not going to beat the whitewalkers with one sword. this isn't zelda. Jon is Lightbringer. the light being brought is the revelation that dragon steel swords, like longclaw, like oathkeeper, are what defeats the walkers.

Spectacular episode. I know a lot of people dislike the political stuff compared to the WW stuff but something needs to keep the humans apart so they can't unite and trounce the WWs. Plus, if all they did was fight WWs that would get really dull really quickly.

- My heart was in my throat in that scene just before the wights showed up, when the Wildlings were desperately trying to get into the camp. I knew there was going to be a battle but I figured it would be some civil war between the Wildlings who wanted to help Jon and those who wanted to kill him, so you could've knocked me over with a feather when it became clear that the undead had shown up.

- I was worried that Jon wouldn't return when Sam said something like, "Jon always makes it back from over the Wall". Looks like Allister won't let him back into Castle Black though, or of he does make it in Ollie will go after him. Jon's clearly not out of danger yet.

- I knew the Wildling woman was done for when she told her kids goodbye. It reminded me of the Irish guy from Titanic telling his kids that they would all see one another again in New York. Too bad because she was an awesome character.

- That giant was incredible. I'm so glad the humans have him on their side.

- I really hope Ramsey gets his ass handed to him when he goes after Stannis. I doubt he'll get killed (I believe Sansa or Brienne will do him in) but something needs to wipe the smirk off his face.

- That preview has me afraid for Shireen.

- Dany and Tyrion promise to be fun together. Now we just need Varys to show up. Poor Jorah, though.

- Arya continues to have the most boring subplot, but I can wait because I assume this will all be important later on.

- Watching Cersei get hers is quite enjoyable even though I'm impressed by her fortitude. The Sparrows kind of bug me though so it's good that Kevan is back to handle business. Anyone else think the Sparrows have killed Tommen and that's why he isn't speaking to anyone or eating his food?

Nah Tommen is alive. The palace is still protected by the guards. Tommens fate will be decided next season by the gods.

ЯɘvlveR;31510939 said:
you're not going to beat the whitewalkers with one sword. this isn't zelda. Jon is Lightbringer.

I never made that point. Jon being Lightbringer is plausible. I've also seen theories that argue the Night's Watch, dragons, or Arthur Dayne's sword, Dawn, are Lightbringer. Personally, I still believe there will be an actual sword that will be Lightbringer.

the light being brought is the revelation that dragon steel swords, like longclaw, like oathkeeper, are what defeats the walkers.

That isn't "the light being brought." We already knew Dragonglass kills the White Walkers. This just confirms another weapon that can defeat them.

I never made that point. Jon being Lightbringer is plausible. I've also seen theories that argue the Night's Watch, dragons, or Arthur Dayne's sword, Dawn, are Lightbringer. Personally, I still believe there will be an actual sword that will be Lightbringer.

That isn't "the light being brought." We already knew Dragonglass kills the White Walkers. This just confirms another weapon that can defeat them.
the light is the knowledge. that isn't information that everyone who should know, as in the realms of men, knows. and all of those aforementioned are obvious red herrings. this is grrm we're talking about not walt disney.

you better hope that Jon gains a **** load of heart containers too if he's going to take on the walkers by his lonesome with his flaming red sowrd.

Well that was one sick battle from the White Walkers. And that giant was awesome!

Sansa also learning that Bran and Rickon are alive too was pleasing I should admit. Hopefully she'll keep that secret from Littlefinger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"