The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 8 "Evolution" Discussion Thread

Man in the Suit

We're the Ones Who Live
Reaction score

Written by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick
Directed by Michael E. Satrazemis

Bold move there, killing off Jesus. They're really distinguishing the show from the comic book at this point, what with how Rick is gone, and Carl and Jesus are dead, while all three are alive and well in the comic now, for example. But very atmospheric episode. The storm setting definitely helped.

They are doing a fine job of killing off people I care about. Not sure why I even watch this show half the time. :(

The ending was great. So atmospheric. Season 9 is becoming one of my favorites.

Yes, the atmosphere was very well done. I'm just bummed about losing another favorite. :argh:

Seems Tom Payne had hoped that Jesus would get some of his awesome comic moments, but that never came to pass. And really, I can see his frustration. And as an ongoing reader of The Walking Dead comic, as much as I like Tom Payne, I can say that much like Negan, the Jesus on the show differs from his comic counterpart.

'Walking Dead' Star Gets Candid About His Exit: "It Was Constant Frustration"

Was it your choice to leave The Walking Dead, or was this a decision from the writers?

They were aware I wouldn't be unhappy if they got rid of me. I expressed unhappiness last season. I was very frustrated with what the character had been doing. He arrived in a very cool way, and then he floundered at the Hilltop. During the war with the Saviors, the only person he had a fight with was a man who was on his side [in Lennie James' Morgan]. In the comics, he has this massive fight with Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan). He catches a grenade, and throws it back [at his enemies]. He's the most capable member of the entire group! And he wasn't used at all [on the show]. In the background, I was training every single week. I was ready and raring to go. You can't help but feel a little bit despondent when you're not released to do some cool stuff. It was mutual and they knew I would be OK with it. It's an amazing show and I was so honored to be a part of it, but at the same time, being the same character without anything fun to do is a bit frustrating.

This should have killed father gabriel and eugene (both are irritating and foolish chracters...it beggers belief that they have survived this long) instead of jesus.

With the Whisperers here, if the show does follow the comic route for his character, I feel like Gabriel's time may be coming soon.

Funny thing, in latin america the episode is called "Whispers"

Seems Tom Payne had hoped that Jesus would get some of his awesome comic moments, but that never came to pass. And really, I can see his frustration. And as an ongoing reader of The Walking Dead comic, as much as I like Tom Payne, I can say that much like Negan, the Jesus on the show differs from his comic counterpart.

'Walking Dead' Star Gets Candid About His Exit: "It Was Constant Frustration"

Yeah I get why he wasn't happy with the show. Even after all these years I still didn't really know a lot about Jesus, and it never felt like he was part of the main group. He would just show up every now and then...

I liked the character but I wasn't really shocked or upset when he died, they just didn't give me enough to make me care about him

Seriously killing Jesus? And Rosita, Eugene and the other randoms are still around... I stopped caring about the show a long time ago, but I was interested to see more from Aaron/Jesus and that Jesus is one of the few characters left other than Daryl/Michonne/Carol. This show...

That's because Rosita and Eugene are better characters. Jesus could've been great, but Gimple didn't do anything with him. His character was all over the place in Season 8 when Gimple chose him to be "All Life Is Precious" when Morgan started to CLEAR again. And when he wasn't doing that, he was "Maggie, Maggie, Maggie" all the time. Along with Tom Payne being unhappy, I can see why Kang chose Jesus over the others to show how the Whisperers are a threat.

I was never a fan of the character, or actor, so his death was nothing more than a cool moment to me. Plus, they didn't really sell his death, either. He's stabbed, then hits the ground, looking peaceful. With this show's recent shenanigans, I assumed he would open his eyes and be alive, at least long enough to say some parting words.

The thing is, though, is Jesus could have been salvaged if the writers really wanted to.

Yes, but was it on purpose? The thought crossed my mind that it wasn't an accident.
Right, he seem to really unravel from the news of Rosita. I wonder how long they've been an item? I guess with Negan out of the cage he no longer needs to stick around and watch over him, what a price to pay for everyone else, damn.

That's because Rosita and Eugene are better characters. Jesus could've been great, but Gimple didn't do anything with him.

Eugene did have some character development but Rosita is more or less just as uninteresting as Jesus was. They're basically just eye candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"