SHH Writer's Club

pHat_aL

Civilian
Reaction score
Give me your round. Only one bullet. What is the #1 book that left you gasping in amazement--in shock and awe--of the pure ingeniousity of the written word? What is the book that left a mark, a deep one, in your heart? Fire away.

Only 7 will make the cut. From those seven, I will make a poll and write the excerpt (the ones I cannot find, with the help of you loyal SHH forum users) and you decide who is the better writer. The better dialouge. The better character. The better pace, mood, theme, atmosphere, message, plot. Which book catches you from the very first sentence.

I will start off first. The book I recommend is Boy's Life by Robert McCammon.

What is yours?

What left you gasping for more.

For me, it's a tie between Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane, and The Maltese Falcon, written by Dashell Hammett.

i really enjoyed catch 22, followed by farenheit 451.

apparantly i have a thing for books whose titles has numbers in them.

"He walked in the sewer like smell of the area."

What does that mean, Tommy. :confused:

MaskedManJRK said:
For me, it's a tie between Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane, and The Maltese Falcon, written by Dashell Hammett.

I think I actually like the movie a bit better.

Anyway, for me this probably goes to anything by Neil Gaiman and The Stand by Steven King.

JLBats said:
I think I actually like the movie a bit better.

I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, so I wouldn't know. :(

The first book to ever really pull me in and to this day makes me smile is the Hobbit. My best friend had read it and was pushing for me to. I wasn't a reader back then and really didn't want to read it. Well, after tons of nagging I finally picked it up and read it. I absolutely fell in love with it and the world, and when I finished it I went on to buy the Lord of the Rings trilogy and read them all, and couldn't put them down. When I finished those, I went and bought the Simarillion and read it. I was totally entranced with the world that Tolkien had created and I've wanted to create something equally as impressive ever since. The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion are good, but it was the Hobbit that first made me fall in love with Middle Earth and to this day it's still my absolute favorate book.

MaskedManJRK said:
I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, so I wouldn't know. :(

It's not exactly faithful to the book, but it has Bogart, so it gains a lot of cool factor for me.

Spectre722 said:
i really enjoyed catch 22, followed by farenheit 451.

apparantly i have a thing for books whose titles has numbers in them.

Those were brilliant, amazing books. Catch 22 being my favorite book I have ever had the privilege to read.

Also, A Clockwork Orange. :up:

A Solitary Blue, I know it's a young adult book. but when I wrote it I went through the same type of thing as the main character in that book did. since he was dealing with his parents going through a divorce.

Hunchback of Notre Dame..

As far as classic go this is where it is at, no movie no cartoon can ever do the written word justice.

The foundation laid with that little red shoe eventualy brings one to tears and the hunchbacks devotion to Esmerelda is quite heartbreaking as well

the book brought me to tears when I was 17.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. She was the first to really introduce me into a world where sensuality can be brought out without the need for explicit content.

I've read some books, but I'll for now say {Reflex - Robert Gould}

1984... I could read that over and over again. It's up there with Macbeth.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

bloody brilliant

Some book about a guy lost in either the north or south pole. He lives by himself for many years I think with a dog? Takes place in the 1800's I think. Read it in 5th grade I believe. It was good, sadly I don't know the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"