Should a new Popeye film see the light of day?

i heard that they were going to do cgi popeye flim not sure when its coming out

That's why reading the other posts might help you out.

nope. One and done.
Possibly as a live action TV series.

Considering audiences - and a large % of the Hype's-dislike of the Silver/Golden Age material-this would not succeed as a faithful adaptation. Instead, we'd have a super gritty reboot where Popeye would be played by Channing Tatum, Olive Oil by some Victoria's secret model, and the climax involving a military agency deploying a nuke and Popeye savagely killing his foe, who left him with no other option.

Passsss. I'll stick with the cartoons.

I would, maybe, like a CGI movie.

Fun Swedish Fact:
ae08zl.jpg

In the northern part of Sweden we have a very popular burger-joint chain named after Wimpy, or as he's called over here: "Frasse"

http://www.frasses.se/

I see that they have changed their logo. When i last visited their restaurant, long time ago, their logo had Wimpy/Frasse in it. Guess the copyright hounds finally caught up with them.

Also, the scene, in the Robin Williams movie, where Popeye fights the squid gave me nightmares as a kid. Hmm, i seem to remember a squid scene from Dr. Doolittle too, the one with Rex Harrison, not the Eddie Murphy one. That one was kinda scary too. what can i say, giant squids was my worst fear!

Couldnt find the Popeye squid scene on Youtube, but i found this:

[YT]9qWt0S85S1I[/YT]

Glad they cut that out. I would have pooped myself back then!

I'm not fond of the idea of a new movie, but a new tv show could be sweet.

Can't believe nobody has touched Popeye in so many years. He has lots of potential.

Not a fan of the Popeye movie, but Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall were perfect casting.

It looks like they're sorta/kinda keeping a 2D look with the CG. Finally, something daring with a CG toon instead of mimicking Dreamworks or Pixar.

Not another live action one. A CGI Popeye could be okay. They are going to need to reintroduce/introduce the character to a younger generation who probably has no idea who he is.

now I heard that they canceled the Popeye cgi movie. not sure why??

Yes, but it should be a gritty sci-fi reboot.

Olive Oyl wears a low-cut dress to show off her ample bosom. Bluto has robot arms. Wimpy Burger rides a Harley hoverbike. "Spinach" is a designer drug that gives Popeye a massive increase in strength and endurance--at the cost of his sanity. Can Popeye sail his airship through air pirate territory to rescue his son Sweet Pea? Or will Bluto and his air marauders succeed in using the babe's unique genetic profile to birth a race of clone supermen?!

POP EYE

Directed by Michael Bay

COMING 2018

I would actually like to see that version.

now I heard that they canceled the Popeye cgi movie. not sure why??

Cartoon Brew 03/13/2015:
Sony Has Killed Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye’
Amid Amidi said:
The Animation Guild blog hinted at the likely cancellation of Popeye in a blog post yesterday, saying that Kristine Belson “is likely itching to put her own stamp on SPA, so look for some previously-announced pictures to be pushed back….or pushed overboard.”
Cartoon Brew 08/06/2015:
How Did Sony Animation Hire An Exec Who Bought An Emoji Movie Pitch?

Cartoon Brew 04/14/2016:
Sony’s Emoji Movie Is Basically One Long Commercial For Mobile Apps
At a presentation at Las Vegas’ Cinemacon earlier this week, Sony Pictures Animation president Kristine Belson revealed new details about the studio’s upcoming emoji movie, and unveiled some of its stars: mobile apps.
Amid Amidi said:
Those who saw Belson’s presentation were not impressed, like Andrew Sims of Hypable, who wrote that, “We got a Wreck-It Ralph vibe from the preview and don’t expect this one to be very good.”

So the animated movie is over? ****.

I believe Popeye is a concept that does well in Live Action and Animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"